From STYLE MATTERS...some news about fakes!

1. Get peek at global fashion trends
    By Judie Schwartz and Evelinda Urman

Scripps Howard News Service

Evelinda: Here’s the Style Matters fashion news round-up from around the globe:

Recently, the Style Matters gals found themselves at the Smithsonian in Washington. What did we learn? Contrary to the common belief that Coco Chanel invented the little black dress, the LBD was really invented by Nettie Rosenstein, who also made the inaugural gown for Mamie Eisenhower. Rosenstein said about the LBD: “It’s what you leave off a dress that makes it smart.”

Judie: Designer knock-offs could soon be going the way of “Dynasty”-sized shoulder pads. Designers are using technology to help detect fakes and some of this software could be installed soon in a handbag near you. According to a recent issue of Harper’s Bazaar, a company called Authenta has developed software that allows luxury handbags “to indicate their authenticity to other handbags. And imitations expose themselves by staying mute.” So how does your handbag tell it like it is? “That’s completely up to the designer. But it would be a very subtle signal like a warm, glowing logo or a patternlike a secret handshake,” Authenta’s CEO says. Imagine being at a cocktail party and a real purse won’t talk to your fake? Talk about being snubbed. ...

Evelinda: It’s not just your purses that will fess up their low pedigree. Designers such as Fendi, Gucci and Louis Vuitton are stitching holograms into the lining of their suits, boots, scarves and mink coats. The holograms have wireless devices and secret codes that allow police to track stolen goods and the manufacturers to see if merchandise is missing from their distribution systems. But, knock-off artists are fearless; some have already knocked off the technology.

Judie: Never mind Costco or Sam’s Club. Quantity discounts have been taken to a whole new level by our Chinese sisters. The newest shopping trend in China is for groups of women to band together to barter for quantity discounts. The Chinese have always been know as top-notch bargainers, but now they are starting to put the pressure on retailers by shopping in groups and demanding big discounts. According to the Wall Street Journal, “successful haggling is a point of pride in China, where even shoppers in department stores treat price tags as mere starting points.”

Evelinda: Called “team purchases,” Chinese consumers visit internet chat rooms to locate others who are in the market for the same merchandise. Next, they show up en masse in stores to demand discounts.

I THOUGHT THIS MIGHT BE OF INTEREST TO THE PURSE BLOG MEMBERS. If you know any more about this new technology, please comment. Thanks,
  2. What an intersting article.

I am moving this to the General forum so it can get more views. :biggrin:
  3. Holy moly!
  4. Imagine being at a cocktail party and a real purse won’t talk to your fake? Talk about being snubbed. ...

5. I read about this before. Very interesting......:smile:
  6. I'm a bit confused. What if you have a real purse and the other woman has a fake one. How would you know which one was fake if they don't "signal each other". Are they both mute, or does the real one still have a signal?

7. now I am waiting if when this will happen.. i wonder how purses would talk to each other.. this would be a good research.. hehe
  8. That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. "Warm glow or pattern-like secret handshake?" Only the tackiest of tacky women would buy a bag that would have to so boldly assert itself as The Real Deal. Outting somebody with this technology is beyond tacky... man, this whole thing is a steaming pile of tacky.
  9. I am more than certain this isn't true. While there are places you are expected to haggle, like "Silk Alley" which appears to be a shopping mall, but really isn't. Actual department stores would laugh you out of town if you tried to get them to lower their marked prices.

10. Interesting article, thanks for sharing

It's hard for me to believe people haggle in department store. I don't think they got it right. I know Asian love to haggle (I am one of them) .People haggle in the market but not in actual department store.
  11. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  12. I so agree!!!!:roflmfao: :roflmfao: :roflmfao: Maybe if it sent a taser to jolt the person with the fake, it would be more interesting. *JUST JOKING!!!!*
  13. Uh, does anyone want to mob some boutiques with me and demand discounts? *wink*

I was just thinking about how I like it when someone who is also carrying a bag by the same designer gives me a "Hi there, fellow (insert brand here) lover!" nod. It rarely happens, but it's cool when it does.
  14. Man, that secret glow bs is so silly. I would probably buy one just for the sweet novelty though.
    and man, those Chinese women are crazy. I find that hard to believe as well. It's not like the NM SA's would be like, 'oh ok, since there are 10 of you you guys can have your stuff at 30% off'. That doesn't make sense.
  15. Beyond it being hard to believe (the stuff with the Chinese woman), I'm someone who spends a lot of time in a lot of places in China, and I have never seen this happen in a reputable store or mall!