From stay-at-home mom to working mom

1. My daughter is almost 2 and I feel it is time to go back to work. I'm very undecided as to weather I should go straight to full time or start off part time and ease into the transition. I'm very afraid because I don't know how my daughter will handle going into preschool this early, what age do you guys usually start your kids in preschool? Is 2 too early. I've heard stories about kids and parents crying on the first day and how it's harder for the parents to let go. please share your experiences..

2. I stayed home with my 2 children for 8 years until my 2nd child was in 3rd grade and it was only due to the fact that we could not, at the time, afford child care for 2 children 3 years apart in age.

But I personally feel children learn so much from other children and the earlier they are socialized, the better prepared they are when starting kindergarden. It is always hard on parents when sending children to school and I cried when sending my child to preschool and kindergarten, but I then turned around and volunteered in the classrooms as a helper until I returned to work fulltime. But children adapt very very fast and will be ok. It's the parents that usually take the longest to adjust to the fact of their child being in a different setting than at home.

I entered the workforce part-time at first since I had been home for 8 years and wanted to be home when they got home from school, but the transition was ok, because I missed adult interaction as well during my hiatus. I have been back to work full-time now for four years and love it and the Kids are doing fine in 7th & 10th grade now.

So I wish you luck in your decision and hope this somehow helps.

3. I jsut spent the year wokring in a two year old classroom. Honestly, first few days are hard on the parents, but it's great for the children's socialization. What's the worst you start off part time and whiel you work part time you only send your darling for half a day.

4. I stayed home w/ my daughter until she was 6 yrs. old (1st grade). But, I put in her a Montessori preschool at age 2 to be around other children, she went 2 days a week for 3 hrs. It was fantastic for her and I needed the break, but I'm lucky my husband only works 14 days a month!!!! When she was 4, we moved to another state and put her in a great preschool 4 days a week for a longer period of time to get her "used" to being in school. I think children will be fine doing whatever they're doing, at home or in school, as long as they get quality time w/ their parents. Now, I work but I have my own business, so I get to take her to school, pick her up, volunteer one day a week at school, parties, field trips, etc. I couldn't wait to go back to work, I missed having a life outside of my home, being wife, being mom. Do what will make you happy, if mom's happy, the family's happy. Good luck to you.

5. this is such a personal decision..its up to how YOU feel and how you raise your children!
    I tried going back to work..fell in love with an amazing job..totally unrelated to what I went to college for..and I ended up quiting after 7 months because I was in NANNY HELL!
    My kids are 10 and 16..I am still at home..and sometimes I regret not being around grownups as much but ITS SO WORTH IT! My kids..I feel..are so much better off with me around ..BUT its so individual...So its up to you and your situation! Good luck!

6. If you can afford it, I'd definitely do only part-time. I don't have any kids, but my mom stayed home with us and it was really great. Kids are only young for such a short time -- you don't want to miss it! I'd want to stay home as much as possible if I did have any children. Plus, sometimes it seems like everyone wants to push their kids too fast and not give them enough time to be kids and hang out at home, watch Mr. Rogers, and play in the yard.

7. If you can afford it, why not? It's valuable to invest in your children's lives.

8. quote=Jill]this is such a personal decision..its up to how YOU feel and how you raise your children!
    I tried going back to work..fell in love with an amazing job..totally unrelated to what I went to college for..and I ended up quiting after 7 months because I was in NANNY HELL!
    My kids are 10 and 16..I am still at home..and sometimes I regret not being around grownups as much but ITS SO WORTH IT! My kids..I feel..are so much better off with me around ..BUT its so individual...So its up to you and your situation! Good luck![/quote]

If you can afford it, I'd definitely do only part-time. I don't have any kids, but my mom stayed home with us and it was really great. Kids are only young for such a short time -- you don't want to miss it! I'd want to stay home as much as possible if I did have any children. Plus, sometimes it seems like everyone wants to push their kids too fast and not give them enough time to be kids and hang out at home, watch Mr. Rogers, and play in the yard.

I wholeheartedly agree with Jill and MandM! If you must work, work parttime for at least a year and see how things go. I tried working when my son was 2 and I quit after 5 months, I just wasn't ready to let him go yet. I love raising him, it's such a joy for me to watch him grow up! At the Nor-Cal purse meeting you and your adorable daughter were so great together, you have such a wonderful bond with her and her social skills are right on. Personally, I think 2 is alittle too young, three would be better. The main goal in preschool is to socialize the child, from what I saw your daughter has no problem in that area, she's such a cutie!:flowers:

9. I'm a stay at home mom of 8 year old twins and I know they really enjoy the fact that I am always here for them. I sent them to part time pre-school when they were 2 and it was great for them and their socialization, but they also needed me at that time. I will say that I really feel like I have no skills left to re-enter the job market b/c it's been so long since I worked but I wouldn't have missed my time w/ them for anything. That said, I think you could absolutely do part-time if you felt you wanted to.

10. i also agree that it is a personal decision. one that you only can make, and its what you will be comfortable and content with.

my children are almost 14 and almost 10. i went to work once my son turned 4 months but only because financially i really had to. however, when my daughter was born, i decided to work from home doing childcare. i became a licensed childcare provider for the military. this worked out quite well. i stayed at home with my children (and 3-4 others) and earned money. when my daughter turned 3, i decided to go back to school fulltime. my school had a daycare, so she did the 1hour & 15 minute commutte each way with me, but it was fun. i had lunch dates with her and saw her between classes.

it is not an easy decision to make, my:heart: goes out to you. i will tell you if i had the choice to do it all over, i would have stayed at home with my son.
    they grow so fast and are only small once.
    good luck with your decision.

11. We decided before having children that if we did, someone would stay home with them. I have 2 girls and I own my own home based business. I put the oldest in preschool for 3 half days because we wanted her to be prepared for kindergarten and she :heart: school. My business allows me to both work & take care of the girls at the same time. The oldest went to preschool at 3 1/2 years old, she loved it.

12. hi kyliereese, i used to be a certified workaholic. :yes: ! as i am living in a foreign country, i depended on work to ease my homesickness thereby limiting my world.

i worked and worked until i got pregnant (4 years after moving here). i worked until 2 hours before i gave birth!:sad: and went back to work a little more than a month after. let me tell you that this was the biggest mistake i've committed so far. he's 1 yr. old now but the guilt feeling hasn't gone away. i regret not being with him and being tied to that job....the sad thing is that i didn't even need the money. i was just used to that kind of life (i am asian and i tend to believe that we are all professionally competitive).

sorry if this post doesn't help your decision. i really just want you to weigh the pros and cons of when to go back to work. my husband got so angry that he bought me that business where i was working. he said that this way, i wouldn't have to work everyday nor arrive at a specific time.

i am a lucky woman, i've known that for a loong time but having the means to be with my son is the best gift of all.

take care:flowers: ,
    jen

13. Have done it both ways...and hands-down would stay home until they enter school. The years pass too quickly.

14. Hehe I don't think the decision is ever easy - regardless of the age. My mom went back to work part time when the youngest was 13... full time when the youngest of us was 18... and she still worries about not being around enough for him! If it were me, I don't have kids, but I'd wait if I could until my kids were in school full time, so like first grade. For me, my mom did a "moms & tots" program with me when I was 2 & 3 so she was there with me for that and then 4 was preschool and 5 was kindergarten. I agree that it will probably be harder on you than her! Good luck with your decision :smile:

15. Wow.. you are lucky.. what a nice husband!!.