Frivolous Lawsuits

1. On the heels of the report that few young Americans can find Iraq on a map comes word of a lawsuit alleging that many New York City teenagers (and their parents!) are actually unaware that McDonald's grub is pretty unhealthy. In a lawsuit filed against the fast food giant, obese teens like 19-year-old Jazlyn Bradley (5' 6", 270 pounds) and Ashley Pelman, 14, (4' 10", 170 pounds) claim that the company improperly drew them into the Golden Arches underworld, where Big Macs and Egg McMuffins lurk behind every corner, seductively offering empty calories and high-fat fixes. Bradley, Pelman, and 14-year-old Julian Tawfik (5' 9", 380 pounds) have filed the following affidavits in support of their class-action complaint against McDonald's, which yesterday (11/20) petitioned to have the "frivolous" case tossed by a federal judge in New York.
    http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/mcsuit1.html

2. Normally, TSG avoids all crazy inmate lawsuits (you know, like the con who sues because the toilet paper is too rough). Well, we're making an exception for Texas jailbird David Joyner, who refers to himself as "Minister of Law of the Mandingo Warriors." Joyner recently filed a federal lawsuit against Penthouse charging that the magazine's December Paula Jones pictorial wasn't explicit enough. Poor Joyner, who felt deceived by a Penthouse cover line declaring that Jones "shows all," claimed to have suffered such "mental anguish" that he needed $3 million to soothe his aches. But in a marvelous pre-Christmas order of dismissal, Judge Sam Sparks proved rhyme does pay.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/penthouse1.html

3. Two Chicago attorneys have filed a class action lawsuit against Penthouse magazine, saying their two clients shelled out $8.99 each for a copy of the magazine to see tennis sensation Anna Kournikova without her racket and tennis outfit. Don't these lawyers have anything better to do with their time than to sue over eight dollars and ninety nine cents? And a class action lawsuit to boot?

Allegedly, the plaintiffs were "distressed" to find out the naked woman was not Kournikova and they each want their money back.

http://www.power-of-attorneys.com/stupid_lawsuit_detail.asp?stupid_ID=86

4. Oh the state of our justice system makes my stomach turn. People sure have some nerve now a days. There's no shame left.

5. i think its really sad. those kids have no self control and their parents should have intervened earlier.
    there was a kid in the UK who got really fat and a few months ago the government were trying to get him put into care because the mother said she just feeds him to keep him happy and stop him compaining. but the mother won and got to keep her son at home.
    if some one had a dog or a cat and they got them they would be stopped from keeping animals so why should it be any different with children. if you cant look after yourself dont have kids.

6. I think this is within the parents' responsebility, not the chain itself. Has the chain ever marketed the food as "health food"? Non. If you grow into a state which you do not like and BEYOND, then you ought to seek help or information regarding how your body works. >_<

7. Jesus Christ I have no patience for this idiocy and I'm married to a lawyer.

8. ^^ I think, the one good thing that came out of all this stuff going on is that fast food chains have been trying to focus on healthier items such as grilled sandwiches, orange slices and salads.

No, McDonald's has never marketed their food as healthy, but they have marketed it to parents as cheap and convenient.

That brings the whole issue of parents not knowing the concept of healthy food, and if the parents don't know, how can the kids be expected to know?

9. After working with a lot of family law attorneys in Florida I have to say the most frivolous legal proceedings I have ever seen are in family law. They drag it out so they can keep billing their clients. Doesn't matter that the client had to take out two mortgages to pay the $100k of fees, she really NEEDS this lawyer.. yeah. ....