French onion soup recipe?

1. I love french onion soup! Although cooking isn't my forte, I would like to learn to make it myself so I can have it at home whenever I crave for it. Does anyone has the recipe for it?

2. basically you just cook he onions in a pan for about 45 mins to and hour so they go caramel coloured nd then add stock. its the easiest thing in the world.

3. I love french onion soup too! I use Jacques Pepin's recipe: http://www.jacquespepin.net/recipes/feb2002.html

The only thing I do different from the recipe is what Cherry Pie said, I brown the onions for 45 minutes or so until they are nice and caramelized. I also don't follow his portions for the bread and cheese, I just put as much as I feel like. :tup:

4. Thanks for the replies.

Mikan, thanks for the recipe. The detailed instructions is very helpful to me as I'm really clueless when it comes to cooking. I didn't you can use butter to cook the onion. I thought you just cook it like that or with olive oil? I tried once and it got burnt while some other parts are still pale in color. Also, what kind of stock should I use?

5. You can use butter or olive oil or 1/2 butter, 1/2 oil to cook the onions. I often go with 1/2 butter, 1/2 oil (the oil helps prevent the butter from burning, while the butter adds richness).

The trick to caramelizing the onions is to keep the flame on medium-low to low heat. If your heat is too high, the onions will burn before they caramelize. That's probably what happened to you before.

For the stock, I use 1/2 chicken, 1/2 beef. I buy Kitchen Basics stock from my local grocery store. Note that stock is different from "broth" (like Swansons) -- make sure you get stock, which is richer in flavor.

Hope that helps!

6. Thanks for the tips, Mikan. :smile: Yeah, I think you're right about the heat. I probably had it too high. The french onion soups I've tried are always so tasty even though they are plain. I wonder what's the secret. I'm going to get the stock you suggested and try again. Hope I can get it right this time.