Freaking mom about 10 yo dd and menstruation!

1. OK, I'm the mom of 2 girls and 4 boys. Boys are easy! My 15 yo dd started when she was 12. We were prepared. Had the talk. All that. And she's been great! She wasn't afraid which was so awesome because I started at 13 and was scared out of my mind! So, my 10 yo dd just came into my bedroom and asks me, "mom, am I a little to young to be grown up yet?" And then she shows me that her underpants have a spot on them. Sorry if that's TMI but I couldn't believe that she quite possibly is starting her first period! Not only is she 10 but she's the baby of the family and I am NOT ready for this yet. Not yet! She's a larger than average girl, taller than either me and her sister were at her age. Don't get me wrong. The period part is not what freaks me out. It's that she is 10 years old. Are girls starting at 10 nowadays? We homeschool so perhaps I'm out of touch here. Anyway, thanks for listening. It's really more about it being my baby and I was hoping to wait another 2 years. Sheesh, she's being so darn mature about it, it's amazing! OMG, and 3 PMSing girls in the house is going to be hell! Thanks, ladies!
  2. I don't know if it's normal, but I've heard girls start when they're 8 or 9 even.
  3. Moving this to Health area....
    Mine got hers at 10 too......It was tough!PM ME if u want help...LOL....That age is WAY TOO YOUNG!!!!!
  4. I just did some reading up... average age is 12 with 2 years either way (10 to 14) being normal. I even found one study that showed that taller girls may start sooner. I'm wondering if it could be some spotting too, just beginning puberty? Probably it's more about my baby growing up than anything. I wasn't expecting this for a couple of years and reality just slapped me flat on the face. Time to enter that next chapter of life.... Perhaps I should purchase her a cute little Coach bag to celebrate! Woohoo!
  5. I hope you have Xanax for yourself. I really do feel for you. I can't even stand to be around myself. :angel:

As for your daughter starting so early, I was the first of my friends to get mine at 11. I have heard girls get theirs even younger now. Good luck to you. :flowers:
  6. Gosh, girls, I really want to cry. This is my baby. Why is this hitting me so freaking hard? (it's probably nothing...)
  7. I've also read that girls are reaching puberty earlier now. Not having daughters, I can't exactly relate, but I understand the part about not being ready for your baby girl to be growing up. You thought you had 2-3 years yet before that part of womanhood appeared. I know you'll handle it with love and calm, Teena, even tho you may not feel calm inside:smile:
  8. I'm sorry you feel like that! My niece got it when she was 11. I got my first period when I was 9.
  9. I'm sorry that it's hard, but I'm sure you will be okay! I got my first period when I was 9 too and I'm almost 22 now. And now a days more and more girls are getting it younger and younger.
  10. Thank you all for the support. She's hilarious! I'm crying inside and she's taking down all the fuzzy flowers from her walls that are part of the decor because she's grown up now! Crazy kid! She'll be fine, it's me I have to worry about! LOL!
  11. I'm 24 and I got my first period when I was 9, so did my mother.

I think your idea for a little Coach bag or acc. is a great idea!!!!!:tup: Start her early!!! (Sorry I know that pun is really bad!!):p

12. Awww....I totally understand the crying part. I only had one child, but when she got her period, it was very emotional for me.

Oh yeah....and I'd just had my ovaries removed, so was going through surgical menopause. One having crazy hormone swings due to the sudden poor ex-husband! LOL
  13. Wow... I got my first when I was 13 - almost 14, and my mom got hers when she was 16! My sister is almost 10 and I can't imagine her getting it... but since it seems to be the norm for girls to be having their periods at younger ages now I'm sure you're daughter's going to be fine. It seems like she's dealing with it well - I remember I was totally annoyed when I first got mine, being a tomboy and into sports! :roflmfao:

14. LOL! Gotta have a little humor or how would I get through it! Yes, she got a demi from out of mom's closet tonight! I had no sooner typed on here that I should get her a little Coach bag to celebrate that I overheard her say to the cat that a Coach bag would be an awesome Christmas present! I happened to have a signature demi in the closet that I had traded something else for and had used only once so asked her if she'd like to have it. She was beyond thrilled! So, I put it in Coach tissue paper, then into a brown Coach box and wrapped it up with red Coach ribbon! Then I explained the proper care of a grown up's bag and that this was not a little girl bag. She then had to show it off to her dad! I happened to have a soho flap hobo too that I gave to the 15 yo so she didn't feel left out! So both girls got their first Coaches tonight in celebration of their adulthood! Thank goodness they are both still happy to get hand-me-downs from mom! Puberty could get expensive! ;)

Thanks for listening to my whining and rambling! Sometimes you just have to get your thoughts out to unravel them! KWIM? :flowers:
  15. A lot of girls are getting their periods younger and younger now a days. I would sit her down and tell her that when girls get older, they go through changes such as getting breasts, their periods, etc. I would explain to her that it's a natural part of life. American Girl has a book on this called The Care & Keeping of You: The Body Book for Girls (American Girl Library) (Paperback). My cousin had it when she was around your daughter's age and maybe that will also help explain puberty to your daughter.