Forget labels. The fashion elite turn to 'stealth wealth.'

Hmmmmm. I can see a point here. Personally, I like the look of, for instance, LV mono bags. I don't necessarily carry my mono's b/c of status. I just like the look.

I can definately see why people are moving toward less "out there" logoed bags. I've even found my self still loving my LV logo bags but haven't bought any lately b/c yes, the masses are starting to aquire them, specifically, people who carry conterfeits which to me, lessens the value of the bags.

Interesting article. To me stealth wealth is not how much you spend dollars wise, but the manner in which you spend it(flashy vs. subdued). I'm sure there are people who live quite lavishly, but do it behind closed doors. An LV mono will have the logo that makes it appear less "stealth" especially since it is more known to the masses. A Birkin, the shape kind of gives it away, but only if you follow those kind of things. I guess if you're splitting hairs, a vintage Birkin passed down from a family member seems more "stealth" than a new croc, bling/diamond encrusted one. Although, both are probably beautiful!

I was raised around antiques and such, and I've been an antique and jewelry dealer since I was a teenager. In my experience, it ALL screams "wealth." It doesn't matter whether it's actually a quality piece or not--and a lot of high-end stuff is absolute junk--as long as people are remotely aware that it's expensive in general. Unless someone literally doesn't care, the crystal, the rug, the jewelry...it will all scream. A good reason though not to say how much something cost is because most of the world will think you're insane for spending so much.

In addition, my grandparents always told me that it was extremely vulgar to display wealth. They always had beautiful quality, nicely made things, but never anything that screamed 'wealth'.

Not only wouldn't they know, but if you told them that Hermes prices this bag higher than the others they produce just because they can, they'd probably think people were stupid for buying them. They're lovely, but the prices are totally insane.

I would assume that probably the majority of this country wouldn't know a Birkin if it literally flew through the air and smacked them in the face. I would assume that they would "feel" the quality, but still not have a clue of it's exclusive price.

The article really reflects what I think. I always search for something (bags, clothes, shoes) which is stylish but different from what everyone wears. Here in Italy you can walk across the street and you can spot only 4 brands: Gucci, LV, Fendi, Prada. Both faux and real, but girls and women wear all the same kind of bag. I don't have any of the a.m. brands, but I bought a Burberry last week, and it was a leather cinda, which means NO CHECK! You can recognise it's a Burberry only if you take it i your hand and look at the small logo.
I went to an outlet near Florence, with brands like gucci, Fendi, BV, Burberry... at Gucci's I saw the most beautiful leather and material bags ever, but they weren't the usual GG logoed ones...You know? people didn't even care about them, and were all blue because couldn't find the logoed ones. i felt like a black sheep!

Thanks for posting, sonya, you always choose provocative and interesting articles.

I have to say I think half of this one is ridiculous. If an Hermes Birkin bag (which is possibly the most highly publicized bag in magazines, ever) is an article of "stealth wealth" I clearly have no idea what the term means. There's nothing more flashy than carrying a $10K bag. I don't believe anyone has to be "in the fashion know" to recognize a Birkin.

I'm not a logo maniac and the only purses I do own with logos on them are Chanel bags. When a logo is simply for the sake of a logo and not part of a design aesthetic, that's when it seems problematic. This is why I have a gorgeous pair of cap-toe slingbacks with the Chanel CC on the toe that I never wear.

That being said, the real draw of "stealth wealth" which I think they gleaned over in this article is that truly subtle and luxurious clothing items are made from sumptuous materials: double-faced cashmere, heavy satin linings, shearling, etc. I don't think it's necessarily about wearing obscure labels only "religious fashion followers" would recognize, as the article surmises. The Yale professor who said that it's still showing off, just in a different way to a different crowd is only half-way on the money, in my opinion... luxury, especially when it lacks a logo, is often for its own sake rather than an attempt to garnish admiration from others.

ITA, even my dh can spot a birkin, and he def. not in the know....lol