For post 500: www.Ableplay.org, great shopping site for toys for kids w/disabilities

1. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For my 500th post, and in the spirit of the season, I want to let you know about www.ableplay.org, a one–of–a–kind web site that will help you select the right toy for a child with special needs.

All toys listed at http://www.Ableplay.org are rigorously and objectively evaluated by play experts from the national nonprofit Lekotek (http://www.Lekotek.org) which uses play to help kids with disabilities develop physically, mentally, and socially.

Each product receives a rating—from zero to five stars—in four disability categories: cognitive, communicative, physical, and sensory. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A strong rating in just one category makes it a good choice. For example, a product may receive two stars the in physical category, two stars in sensory, four stars in communicative, and one in cognitive. The four stars in the communicative category mean it’s a great choice for a child with autism or a similar disability.[/FONT]

AblePlay Toy Rating for Kids with Special Needs.jpg

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Each product is described in detail, with information on skills that can be developed by playing with the toy, as well as ideas for using it to help the child learn and have fun. Each item also includes a link allowing you to buy the item online, in most cases, directly from the manufacturer. As the holidays approach, new products are added daily.[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]According to Diana Nielander, Lekotek’s director, “The right toy for boy or girl with a disability will play to a child’s strengths, help him or her to build skills, and offer hours of fun.” For a short and inspiring video on the power of play for kids with special needs, click here.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Please pass this info on to friends and family members interested in the best toys for children with disabilities.
    [/FONT]​

2. Wow, thanks for the information! I work for an agency that provides services to people with developmental disabilities and this is a great resource!

3. Glad you like it, csamcharlie.