"Following your heart" is bad advice?

1. Ladies, I know I talk way too much about my move to Chicago, but if you could give me another two cents on this matter, I'd appreciate it.

The field I want to go into is hyper-competitive, but fortunately, my parents have a great network of people that have been more than willing to help me -- as do my professors. Unfortunately, they're all in New York City. NYC is the center of the market I want to be in.

No (stellar) jobs have presented themselves to me in Chicago. I have no reason for moving there except my appreciation for deep-dish pizza and the city's architecture. While I'm sure I'll inevitably end up in New York for graduate school, I didn't think it was that big a deal to take a break for a couple years in Chicago before then.

My parents are pretty upset that I don't want to follow my opportunites to New York. Should I go there even though I'd be less than thrilled about it?

Good thing my plane ticket to Chicago was only $99.

Thanks again, guys, sorry to bug ya'll about this! I know there are a lot of smart ladies to offer some wisdom here.

2. I say follow your heart. If I were in your shoes (which I'm not but if I am), I'd go to Chicago and see what's out there first. Take your time and figure out what you really want to do. You never know, you just might find that job you're looking for and everything will fall into place. The opportunities in New York will be there still when you get back right?

Ultimately, I just want you to be happy. If you're not happy with where you are.....why bother? Life is short. Yes, plan ahead but what about what may happen now? If you pass this opportunity, you may never know. New York sounds safe compared to Chicago in terms that you have stuff waiting for you there in case you choose to go there. Just do what you think will make you happy. :flowers:

3. If you really want to go to Chicago, go. It may be the best thing you do. It may be the worst, but you'll never know until you get there. You do not want to go to NY and be wondering what it would have been like to be in Chicago.

4. You are young and now is your time to seek adventure. If Chicago is calling you then you should go. NYC will still be here when you're ready and excited about it. This may be an old and tired statement but it's true .... Life is short. Go and do what feels right to you. You will be successful wherever you go if you set your mind to it. Good luck to you, my friend. Btw, when you do make it to NYC let us New Yorkers know you're coming.:p

5. IntlSet, my advice is: follow your heart. New York can wait. Who knows, you might love it in Chicago? But I'd say that as I've been reading Mills & Boons for the past thirty-odd years :smile:

6. I'd say that if you are really excited about Chicago then you should try it out. Even if you don't get a "useful" (career enhancing) job there, you could enjoy it for a year or two. Afterall, you just finished school so should have some time for fun and adventure:smile:

Just make sure to keep your options open to pursue opportunities elsewhere in the future if that will help you acheive your long term goals. Don't get "stuck."

7. I say follow your heart. You never want to look back and have regrest about something!
    If it doesn't work out...well at least you found out instead of always wondering.

And if you end up in Chicago....make sure to have a slice of Giordanos!

8. Well, I'd be a liar if I didn't admit that connections can be a HUGE help in this field, however, they also can't hand you a job. Have you volunteered or interned? That is hugely important in the arts, in my experience and that of my coworkers, at least. It might be worth it, while you're looking for something, to start volunteering in a development department at an organization near you just to at least start getting some experience if you don't already have some.

It is competitive in whatever city you'll end up in, but I think you should do what you want and not what your parents want you to do. Being in the same position a few years ago as you're currently in, I had to weigh lots of options. I also thought I'd end up doing my MA in NYC, but I've opted to stay in Chicago. There's also the affordability factor that makes Chicago a little easier on a recent graduate budget... many more flexible options available. If you move to one city and it doesnt work out, you can always try the other one. It isn't the end of the world. That's one of the best parts of being a new grad - trial and error until you find your way in the world.

9. I agree with a lot that has already been said. You are young so this is the ideal time to explore other things. Chicago is a great city to live in with opportunities. I'm not sure what exactly in the arts you are interested in, but have you looked into the Art Institute or Museum of Contemporary Art(MCA)?

10. omg, you're not f:censor: cking kidding, giordanos is the most amazing pizza i've ever had in my entire life. i think i ate there 4 times the last time i was in chicago.

11. I will feed you soooooo much pizza if you come visit me!!! :wlae:

12. I love Chicago! (and the shopping and pizza especially) :graucho: .

This is the time in your life to experiment and try living different places. When you get older, the committments get greater and you won't have that flexibility necessarily (husband, kids, mortgage). Can't hurt to give Chicago a try and then onward to NYC later.

13. Unless you are doing something productive in Chicago that would help your professional future, I think you should go to NYC

14. Let me put it this way...if I thought even for one second I could make a go of it in Chicago, I'd move there in a minute! Chicago is my favorite city in the country, and I would love to live there.

Like you said, you feel that you will eventually end up in NYC anyway, so why not take some time to see how life in Chicago unfolds....who knows, there may be more opportunities in the future than are presenting themself right now. You have the rest of your life to be in NYC, if that is what is meant to be. I think you know what you want to do, and should listen to that gut instinct.

With that being said, have a slice of Giordanos for me!! You also have to try the "pot pie" pizza at Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinders in Lincoln Park......fabulous as well!

Once you get settled, I'll be asking you for advice on the best shops and restaurants to check out during one of my many trips to Chicago!

15. I have to say I agree with this. I would definately pursue Chicago but only after I had a job lined up. If you have a job, apartment, etc...then go for it! Us parents want whats best for you and you need to live your dream. You can't live the dream if you don't take the necessary steps to make it happen.