Following dstar's lead: I'm self-RESTORING my 05 BG Day

With all these fixer uppers, i think I might just buy a beat up bag on ebay!!!
I usually ignore those.. but i have been waiting too long for the perfect black city or day and even first, so will go for a fixer upper!!!

:tup:

RERE: Did you strip off the beige first or just went over the top?

Just curious whether it feels "rubbery" or not with the extra layer on top. On one of my little dye projects my husband used paint stripper on it :faint: Scary I know, but he'd done it on sneakers to customise them before and said it wouldn't damage the leather. Anyway it got rid of all the excess dye so when I redyed it, the surface was nice and smooth and not rubbery from too many layers. I honestly don't think the leather is any worse for wear as it was a little dry to start off with anyway. The smell took a couple of days to disappear but all seems ok so far!

Also if you haven't tried this already...I used a babywipe for getting the dye of the hardware. It just wiped right off :tup: so no tedious scraping with the old fingernails!

^^ It does work! Baby wipes actually work very well!

But I do think you need to be careful not to get the baby wipes on the dyed bag though, since there was slight rubbage even though the bag has been dry for 3+ days...

Thanks!

RERE: Did you strip off the beige first or just went over the top?

Just curious whether it feels "rubbery" or not with the extra layer on top. On one of my little dye projects my husband used paint stripper on it :faint: Scary I know, but he'd done it on sneakers to customise them before and said it wouldn't damage the leather. Anyway it got rid of all the excess dye so when I redyed it, the surface was nice and smooth and not rubbery from too many layers. I honestly don't think the leather is any worse for wear as it was a little dry to start off with anyway. The smell took a couple of days to disappear but all seems ok so far!

I just did it over, I didn't even think to use paint thinner but that would honestly scare the hell outta me. You're so brave!

Cleo I'm a little late coming into this discussion and I don't know if you've already returned your bag...but I just got an '08 black city and it was lovely except that the black wasn't quite jet black. Anyway, after talking with the SA at Bal, she recommended using Lubriderm.

Well....can I tell you? It's now JET black! and beautiful. It might be an inexpensive and safe alternative that you can try first before resorting to dying. I rubbed the Lubriderm into my hands first and then gave the bag a rub down. I repeated the following day. It's been about 3 days now and it still looks wonderful.

My bag didn't have a lot of veining to begin with, the leather was pretty smooth but the whole bag just had a kind of "charcoal" tint.

Wow it is time. I haven't been to my old thread in forever. I haven't found any "project bags" since the last pale rose day. I am fiending over making a shabby bag black. =)