Workplace Follow-Up Interview?

I've never had to interview for a job...but I did have to interview extensively for graduate school.....so my general tips:

Looks professional...it definitely matters. No frilly things in your hair, no super spiky high heels. Don't overdo the makeup. Look natural and businesslike.
I brought a portfolio with me to every interview (one of those leather-bound things with a zipper that holds a legal pad, pen, business cards, etc.). Bring copies of your resume in there (just in case!!!). I would also take any research you have about the company/organization and store it in there (in case you forget something important you can always glance at it before the interview).

In terms of weaknesses (I was ALWAYS asked this during my grad school interviews) I always said something corny like being overmotivated, being super organized/compulsive about finishing projects, etc.

They will probably ask about strengths....always play yourself up! This is your time to show off yourself!!! And remember...you're competing against others who may be just as qualified as you are....so that extra confidence can go a long way.

Good luck good luck good luck!!!

also, when asked about "weaknesses," make sure to reframe the wording and say "the areas I would like to continue improving on are...." it really helps to state it that way so you can show them that u acknowledge it and that you are actively working to improve it..

As far as dress goes, I agree that professional blue/black/grey suits are good in most cases, but it really depends on the field. I work in the entertainment industry in a non-corporate environment and if someone showed up in a business suit for an internship interview, then that would actually stick out negatively. Sorry to give conflicting advice, but since I don't think there was mention of what kind of companies you're applying to, I thought I'd chime in. I think you should find out the dress code for the company and dress accordingly.

And I do agree that it's important you ask questions. I've interviewed people for openings in my company, and there is nothing that turns me off than an interviewee who doesn't have questions of their own. It's a great way to show your interest and enthusiasm and you don't come across as a know-it-all.

Definitely do some research into the field so you know what you're talking about, but don't throw around industry jargon because you could be using it wrong or can seem like you're trying too hard.

Being pleasant, friendly, and interested is the best way to make an impression. Don't be afraid to flex your sense of humor, but definitely stay away from off-color humor and if you're not confident about it then don't try too hard to be funny.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread!! I love being surrounded by such great women :biggrin:

Well, in regards to the dress code, I think I should let you all know that this is a small non-profit organization with a maximum of ten employees. For this reason, I was thinking that black slacks, a crisp white shirt, and a nice pair of black shoes (dressy flats maybe) would be fit. What do you think?

You can get away with a lot more in a small company than in a big bureaucratic institute, but I'd still try to wear a suit if you have one (or, if you don't, a coordinating jacket), and low heels as opposed to flats. One other thing I'd add -- someone mentioned not wearing a logo purse. I'd extend that to say don't wear anything flashy and expensive including your handbag.

^^^I agree with Kathy K, there is the opportunity to be more individualistic in dress/style at small organization AND I totally agree about not wearing logos or anything flashy, especially for this interview with a nonprofit organization. Many nonprofits pay lower than private or for-profit companies...coming in with noticeable expensive items might lead people there to think you might not want to take the job since the pay might be lower...kwim??

dk - the outfit you have planned sounds perfect but if you have a coordinating jacket, feel free to wear it too !! :yes:

Good luck :flowers: and let us know how it goes and if you get the job!!!!

I just came back from the interview a few hours ago and I wanted to thank everyone again, because I put all that great advice to use! Im supposed to hear back Monday, but Im pretty confident because the interview went very smoothly :biggrin:
Thanks again girls...you all are the best.

:yahoo: Congratulations dk!!!!

thanks for letting us know how the interview went...crossing my fingers and toes for you to hear good news on Monday!!! keep us posted!! :biggrin: