Follow-Up Interview?

1. So, Ive been applying for internships recenlty and I just heard back from the internship I REALLY :yes: want. However, Im a bit confused. Initially, it was a phone-interview. I was just contacted for an in-person interview. What does this mean?? Has anyone ever been through a similar situation?

Also, is there a specific dress code to abide by when I go in for the interview? Are there things I should/shouldnt say?? Any advice would be appreciated as I am still fairly new at this :shame:

Thanks in advance :flowers:
  2. Here are some very random tips:

Definitely dress professional... grey, blue or black suit, hair out of your face, not a lot of makeup look.

They're probably going to ask you what your goals are and you should say something relevant to the internship.

Always email a thank you letter to the HR manager and your immediate manager.

You never know what a corporation is looking for... the in person interview is to see if you're a fit with their environment. They obviously like your skills already : )
  3. it means that you did well in the first round of interviews, but so did a few other people. they want to ask you more questions and get a better sense of who you are. their main objective is find the person who is the best "fit" for their company and the posistion. sometimes that takes MANY MANY rounds of interviews, especially when all the applicants are very similar qualifications wise.

the dress code depends on the company. when in doubt always dress more conservatively. do some reasearch...what are the company's big projects? what are somethings they've released or finished lately? what can you contribute? also there are some pretty standard interview questions..."what would your best friend say is your biggest strength and biggest weakness..." that one always throws me off. try and turn your weakness into a positive thing. like mine is procrastination...i usually say that i have a weakness for working to deadlines. deadlines give me energy and motivation and i return a better product than i otherwise would have. :smile:

go to barnes and noble or do a search online for interview questions. figure out how you would answer them. there is nothing worse than someone hemming and hawing when they're stumped. oh, and DO NOT FIDGET. don't play with your hair, don't tap your feet, don't doodle. just sit straight, be yourself and be honest. you'll do fine. they obviously liked you enough to ask you back. :smile: good luck!
  4. This is a great thread I have an interview tomorrow, I always get stumped when asked about a weakness as well, I still don't know what to say :sad:
  5. you can also do practice interviews online. sites like have canned interview questions for various fields, sales, marketing, etc. i find it really helps to calm your nerves. the questions are behavioural interview types (can you give me an example of a time when..). most companies use this style of interviewing, so you can have some responses prepared for the more frequently asked give me an example of a time when you dealt with a difficult co-worker/customer
  6. This isn't at all unusual, just another step in the process. I agree with D&G Rockstar that you should dress professionally. When in doubt, err on the side of being conservative. A suit is preferable, but not required, so long as you look professional. DEFINITELY no midriff or decolletage showing (sounds obvious, but you can't believe what I've seen!); if you wear a skirt, make sure it's not too short. But you know this stuff, already. Just use your judgement and you'll be fine.

You've got some excellent advice here. I'd add:
    Make sure you maintain eye contact
    Ask questions -- this doesn't need to be one-sided. It's fine to ask about the company, the work hours, next steps, etc.
    For weaknesses, think about some issue you've had in your career where you handled it well (so you're admitting a weakness but immediately telling the interviewer how well you handled it)
    Be punctual

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!:flowers:
  7. A couple more tips to add: dress professionally and do not wear heavy fragrances. That can be a big turnoff. If asked about strenghts and weaknesses, you can say your biggest weakness is that you're a perfectionist and may sometimes be too hard on yourself. Works every time ;) Also, IMO I would not email the thank you letter. Print it out on nice paper and send it snail mail. Managers notice when that extra effort is made.
  8. Good luck, dk and Tylisa!!:flowers: :flowers:

I've been in corporate recruiting for 12 years and completely agree with the other posters! Relax, be yourself, and prepare.

1. How to dress?
    I agree to dress professionally and conservatively. You want to show that you care about this interview so you've put effort into looking professional. This doesn't mean the fanciest, most expensive clothing or accessories but that you are well-groomed and wear clean, pressed professional-looking clothes. One the company's main phone number and ask the receptionist about the dress code. S/he will tell you and maybe provide advice on what's appropriate.

A few days before the interview, check out your interview clothes. Do your clothes need to be presses? Do you need new pantyhose? Get all that stuff done before the day of the interview to save you stress!!

2. Research interview questions. Books are great, as are candidate sections in big job boards, like, and

3. Question hints
    --Give me a short history of your career/work experience/education (this sometimes is a 'filler' question if the interviewer hasn't read your resume before the interview. Grrrr, that's one of my biggest pet peeves, but it happens more often than you would think)

--Tell me about your career goals and how this job/internship will help you meet them.

--How does your previous experience fit with the requirements of this position?

--Where do you see yourself in 5 years? (tie it in with career goals, growth, interests)

--and the dreaded "what are your 3 strengths/weaknesses?"
    This is a tough one and one ~everyone~ dreads,:yucky: so you are not alone. Be honest, because if the company does reference checks with a previous supervisor, these may come up.

Strengths - everyone has a ton of these and select the top ones honestly and be sure to see if you can map them back to the job requirements.

Weaknesses - I agree with ilzabet that it's good to think of weaknesses and turn them into positives, or show what you are consciously doing to address them. You could review past performance reviews - if you have them. If not think of things that are important to an employer - adhering to timelines, project/work organization skills, etc. - and discuss these and how you've addressed them - created organizational systems, timelines, priority lists, etc. Check out the websites for hints to get you thinking.

4. Don't forget you are interviewing the company and job too!! Remember, an interview is not just a one-sided evaluation of you and your skills. If you get this job, you'll have to come in everyday, work with these people in this environment doing this type of work and building skills in one field or specialization. What do you want to know from the interviewer (technically a "company insider", right?)? Some questions you'll want to know focus on the job and daily stuff, some will be growth and some will be company environment and leadership philosophy.

Also, research the company on its website, read about key executives, the PR section for news, google the company, learn competitors, etc. This helps you evaluate the company but also gives you opportunity to think of questions to ask the interviewer, because s/he will expect it. It is a huge deal-killer if you know nothing about the company, industry, etc. (I'm sure you know that but you'd be surprised how many job applicants have told me "I don't know anything about your company because I just figured you'd tell me about it." Bleh!:mad:

Sample questions:
    --How many others are on the team? What are their roles/responsibilities and how will I and my work/contributions fit in?
    --Who will I report to in this job?
    --What is the supervisor's management style?
    --What are the 3 key skills someone needs to have to be successful in this job?
    --What are the opportunities and timeline for advancement?
    --How is my performance assessed? How frequently?
    --If someone starts in this job, where can they expect to be in 5 years?
    --What is your opinion, interviewer, of the top 3 things the company does or offers to help employees succeed in their jobs?
    --In your opinion, how does senior leadership view this job, this department, etc.?

Consider their responses in your decision! There are times when candidates turn down further job interviews because they have decided the company or job is not the right fit for them! I personally have pulled myself from interviews for a job once because I was so unimpressed and dissatisfied with the interviewer (who was the direct supervisor for the job). I just figured if I'm bleh :yucky: about her style during the interview process, it just wasn't going to get better if I was hired!

5. Practice, practice, practice! Now prepare in my book is not just thinking about what you would say but actually saying it - aloud! It sounds kinda silly, but seriously, if you review your resume and the job description (responsibiliities and requirements), and plan your responses to questions (standard and related to this job/internship and your career goals, etc.). You could even take the job description and your resume side-by-side and make connections to what you've done before and how that meets the job requirements.

Then, actually practice saying your answers aloud 3-4 times. Really! It will help your confidence and delivery ~tremendously~! :yes: Honestly, before each and every interview I've been on as a candidate, I've practiced at home in front of a mirror, whilst getting dressed for the interview, and driving in the car to the interview. It not only helps me get into that interviewing 'frame of mind' but also gets me used to actually delivering my responses so it'll feel natural during the interview.

6. In the interview - ask when you will be notified about next steps and by whom. At the conclusion of the interview, ask your interviewer when and from whom you can expect to be notified about the next steps. Then you have a verbal confirmation and can then follow up accordingly if you don't hear within the specified time period. It's so shocking and disappointing to me to hear how many people never hear back after an interview. That's really unprofessional, and just plain rude.

7. Write and mail thank you notes! Not just email - although that is ok too now that everyone's on email - but when you get home, take pen to paper and write a short thank you to everyone you talked with. It just shows you went the extra distance to show appreciation for their time and consideration. And when they get your note a few days after the interview, it puts you back in the top of their mind! :yes:

Feel free to ask me questions here or PM.

Again, good luck and let us know how your interviews go!!! :flowers:
  9. Great post by Redney!
  10. That's actually great news - congrats.... Usually the second interview is conducted with those they are interested in. Just a thought, there may be more than one person in the room or a panel so be prepared. It looks like you have some great advise in this thread.

Good luck
  11. thanks for all the responses girls!!
    Thanks for all the info redney, im printing out your post as I speak :biggrin:
  12. My 2p (I'm English:biggrin: ) on the 'professional' dress, may only applies to archaic institutions like my merchant bank:lol:.

One of the directors who interviewed me told me these later when I worked with her:
    No diamonds (too flashy, unsafe hands)
    No Birkins (too much like clients but everyone has one anyway, lol)
    No backpack, messenger or a nylon bag and ABSOLUTELY no logos (LV, GG, etc.) on handbags
    No trouser suit (too feminist for other directors)
    Manicured hands, get this done and filed round pro, this is the first thing they touch and they love soft hands

Lots of pearls (safety especially big ones)
    Carry two bags (looks the part)
    Classic watch (e.g. Cartier Tank, no DKNYs)
    Wear perfume so that others can smell it within a 1 foot radius NOT leaving a trail of No.5 to outside the building.
    Killer heels (my own but the men were definitely looking at it when I walk in)

My answer to the question what was my weakness; I said I'm too obsessive, I may do unimaginable things to get my way. As for what is your plan for the future, I said jokingly that I don't know whether I will be given the job yet but by then I can feel the vibe:p .
  13. Redney has said it all. Congrats on your second interview, and Good luck!

love, Pippi:flowers:
  14. Great advice, redney!
  15. awwww, thanks you guys!! :shame:

I'm so happy to help!!! I really love what I do and am always happy to share "tricks of the trade";)