FLA: Deputy Dumps Quadrapalegic Out Of Wheelchair

1. This totally disgusts me. I seriously have no words. There is video of the incident at the link.

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/local/article.aspx?s=rss&storyid=73747

Deputy now suspended after dumping man from wheelchair

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]By: Mike Deeson
    Tampa, Florida - The Hillsborough Co. Sheriff's Office held a press conference at 10:30am regarding the deputy who can be seen on video dumping a man in a wheelchair onto the ground.
    They've announced that Deputy Charlette Jones has been relieved of her duties without pay pending the outcome of an investigation. She has not officially been terminated.
    Jones has been employed by the Hillsborough Co. Sheriff's Office since 1996.
    Chief Deputy Joe Docobo watched the video for the first time last night and said he found himself in "disgust" and was "appalled at every level."
    Docobo also announced that two corporals and a sergeant involved are now on administrative leave with pay, and the jail supervisor on duty did not have knowledge of the incident.
    Brian Sterner broke his neck almost 14 years ago and is a quadriplegic.
    Sterner, who can drive, was arrested on a traffic violation. When he was booked into the Orient Road Jail last month, Sterner couldn’t believe what happened.
    He says a deputy looked at him and didn’t believe he was a quadriplegic. She walked behind him, took the handles on the back of the hospital-grade wheel chair and dumped it forward.
    Sterner says he tried to roll as he was going down, but hit so hard he thought he had broken two ribs. Then, while he was on the floor, deputies frisked him and tried to get him back into the chair.
    Sterner says he told them how to pick him up and put him back into the chair, but because he can’t feel anything from his breastbone down, he says he was injured and didn’t know it. Sterner thought he had broken two ribs, but jail x-rays showed that wasn't true.
    The Hillsborough Sheriff's Office didn't know anything about the incident until we showed them their own tape. Now an investigation is underway.
    J.D. Calloway, a spokesman for the Sheriff’s Office, says this has all come to light today, so this review is very active.
    While we tried to get a written report about the incident, the major who runs the Orient Road Jail told us there is no incident report, because as far as they are concerned, they didn't have a problem with, or cause a problem to, an inmate in a wheelchair.
    But don’t tell that to Brian Sterner.
    Sterner says it's incredibly degrading and it’s an example of how poorly trained the Hillsborough Sheriff's Office is. He adds, if they’re trying to figure out if somebody needs to be in a wheelchair or not, there are many other ways to do it than to dump somebody on their face.
    Chief Deputy Joe Docobo added at the press conference this morning, the sheriff's office will now try to "make things right for this gentleman."

2. Sheer ridiculousness!!

didnt believe that he was quadriplegic? who the hell is she?

that Deputy deserve a kick in the pants so far up her butt, she'll be coughing out shoelaces and velcro pieces!! :mad:

3. She should be charged with assault. No excuse for this behavior.

4. ^And battery. What a jack@ss!

5. wow!!! What a moron. And all that because of a traffic violation?!!!

6. Wow. Tampa. This is where I grew up for 18 years.

She should get fired & get fined.

7. "this shows how poorly hillsborough county sheiffs are trained.."

i guess thats how they feel they can treat people.

Orient Rd jail is aprox 3 miles away from where my parents house is.

8. that's disgusting.

9. I saw this on the news on TV before I posted it here. I could not believe what I was seeing. I would expect this type of behaviour out of a punk, not a police officer!!

One of my biggest fears is falling. But it's one thing to fall when you yourself put yourself in the position to fall. We instinctly brace ourselves. But this poor guy, she just snuck up behind him and dumped him out like a wheelbarrow full of old dirt... all because she thought he was LYING about his condition?

Has it come to the point where disabled people have to carry a card or get a special tattoo to prove to the authorities that we are disabled?

And the biggest problem is, diasabled people don't have an Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson when it comes to things like this. I can't tell you how many times I've felt discriminated against because of my wheelchair, although it's improved in recent years. But the attitudes of some people still can make one feel badly about being disabeld because they need special considerations.

I hope this guy sues the pants off this woman.

10. ^^

that man shouldn't have to prove anything to that woman. in fact no one in a wheelchair should have to prove to anybody that they are disabled.

its not the handicapped's fault, it lies in the fault of the ignorant

11. That's horrible!

12. I watched the video and I wish I hadnt because Im on the verge of tears for the man. That was so disgusting, how could a human being do something like that to someone, and the other officer who walked past laughed! I cant believe it, this is so awful.

13. That is really messed up !

I'm taking criminal procedure right now at school - and today's class was actually about search incident to arrest or arrest itself and in the Canadian system, any contact prior to arrest (e.g. cop announcing "you're under arrest") that's not a search is considered an assault. This is definitely an assault since it did cause him bodily harm, but most of all, unnecessary humiliation and degradation.

Termination or a severe demotion sounds about right.

14. I agree 100% with ayla's comment.

Unbelievable what an absolutely disgusting way for the officer to act.

15. I saw the video on TV. It was disturbing to watch. It made me want to :cursing: at the lady.