FIT in NY to hold CL exhibit in March

creighbaby

O.G.
Jun 4, 2006
Get your red-bottom shoes ready. Extravagant stilettoes are getting the retrospective treatment this spring when The Museum at FIT presents "Sole Desire: The Shoes of Christian Louboutin" fromMarch 13th through April 19th. This is a rare shoe exhibition at a major New York museum, made all the more impressive when one takes into account that Louboutin has only been in business for himself since 1992, making his label the youngest amongst the current holy trinity of chausseurs including Manolo Blahnik and Jimmy Choo. The exhibition will be curated by FIT's graduate students in the Fashion and Textile Studies: History, Theory, Museum Practice Master of Arts program, and will be culled from both the museum's collection and Louboutin's archives. Look for the city's shoe freaks to line up for this one.

http://www.theshophound.typepad.com//the_shophound/2008/01/fit-goes-feet-f.html

I have a friend opening a show off Broadway in March. I just might have to make a CL trip out of it, so when I am not shopping for CLs I can admire them at the museum.:P

Here's some more info:

http://picsrv.fashionweekdaily.com/...9_192963_8308.jpg&obj=iip,1.0&hei=360&wid=239
A pair of black suede flats with patent leather appliqué from 1991.

(NEW YORK) Christian Louboutin's date with Oprah Winfrey on her show this afternoon isn't the only coup the shoe maestro can boast about. The iconic and witty designer known the world over for his signature red soles will receive his first solo exhibition this spring, courtesy of the Fashion Institute of Technology. "Sole Desire: The Shoes of Christian Louboutin," which will examine the career of the influential 44-year-old designer, will be on view at The Museum at FIT from March 13 through April 19. Organized and curated by FIT graduate students in the Fashion and Textile Studies: History, Theory, Museum Practice Master of Arts program, the exhibition will showcase examples of Louboutin's work from both the collection of The Museum at FIT and his own.

"It seemed to me that Christian has reached a new level both of brilliant design and of recognition; it's been quite a few years that people who are fashion insiders have admired his work, but it seemed to me he was really, really on a roll and this will be a fantastic moment, in a way, to launch him in the museum world because he's moving onward and upward fast," said Valerie Steele, director of The Museum at the Fashion Institute of Technology. "I personally was excited about doing something contemporary, and as a fashion museum, we try to focus on what's moving fashion forward and what's cutting-edge, and that's what he's doing for shoes."

Louboutin's passion for footwear started before he was even a teenager; by the age of 11, he was already sketching shoes. In 1988, after freelancing for design houses like Maud Frizon, Chanel, and Yves Saint Laurent, Louboutin joined Roger Vivier. In 1989, he took a leave from fashion to work as a landscape designer, and returned to the industry in 1992 with his first collection, which integrated Asian influences with garden inspirations.
JIM SHI

http://www.fashionweekdaily.com/news/fullstory.sps?inewsid=523884

CL shoes should be display in a museum, they are beautiful enough. Even Oprah said that she would like to put them on display in her house. However, prefer them on my feet!!!! This exhibit sounds interesting. I looked at the link above and I saw this shoe pictured. Anyone recognize it? Looks more like a Marc Jacobs than CL to me, but it sure is cute.
lavsm.jpg

^^^^ This may sound completely dorky and weird,:upsidedown: but I would like to see if they have some of his older styles on display along with the lavender shoe above. It would be interesting to see how his style has evolved over time.