Fish out of water in UK - need help please!

1. Hi everyone!

I miss going to yard/garage sales in the US, consignment shops, large thrift stores, Nordstrom Rack, etc. to try to find hidden designer treasures.

I know "charity shops" are the UK equivalent of US thrift stores, but they are all so small and there are so many of them - I've seen nothing like a large Salvation Army or Goodwill.

Car Boot Sales seem to be the substitute for yard sales, but they're hard to find - you have to look for notices in the local papers. In the states you can just drive around on the weekends and follow the "Yard SALE" signs to peoples houses like some kind of blue-collar beacon.

I found TK MAXX (TJ MAXX in US) but they don't seem to carry the same kind of end-run three-seasons-ago bigger-name stuff that they do in the US. I don't know of any stores like "Harvey Nichols Basement" (ah, if only...) where the larger department stores close out their older stuff.

Am I missing something? I need some suggestions on where I can hunt for secondhand or last-season designer goodies.

Anyone?

2. Nope, your not missing anything. Now you know the frustration of us UK ladies, the ladies across the pond get a much better deal. Do a google search on McArthur Glen Outlet Villages - these are mostly high street though. I go to Bicester Village.

http://www.bicestervillage.com/bicester/home.asp

3. Where abouts in the UK are you? If you are anywhere near the south west there is a fantastic shop in Marlborough that sells designer clothes & bags secondhand. It's called Bertie Golightly.
    The outlet village at Swindon is also pretty good although Bicester has more designer names.

4. I agree McArthur Glen in York is ok - it has outlet shops such as Burberry, Ralph Lauren and Armani Collection

Also I love in York and we have a Mulberry Outlet shop which is fab:heart: There is also one in Shepton Mallet:yes:

5. I'm in Hertfordshire, so Bicester Village isn't too far away. I do plan to make a trip there as soon as possible...it's just that I can't drive myself in UK, so I'm at the mercy of my husband (who loves shopping, just not watching me spend money). :lol:

Glad to know I'm not missing out on any great secret bargains. I like it here, but I must say I can't wait to get back to the US of A! lol