First Time Seller Advice

1. Hi All!

My first post! What a great community, full of resources and knowledge and helpful individuals!

I am a first-time seller and was hoping to get some advice on how to maximize my profitability and how, as a first-time seller, I can assure a potential buyer of a positive experience and such.

I am reselling a used Bastille that I purchased on eBay about a year ago. I took quite some time in doing my research, patiently waiting on auctions, buying the bag, and taking it to a local LV boutique so as to assure myself of the authenticity thereof.

I took some photos of the bag and wrote a brief description, which I was planning on using on the auction. I would sincerely appreciate any advice upon review of this webpage. I think the photos are good quality (opinions?) and I do have photos of the date-stamp and of each of the pockets (not just the main one as I have online now). Would it be prudent to include in the auction, as well. Also, I am not sure if I am being too critical in my description of the bag's imperfections? I think including the dimensions of the bag would be wise as one of the most appealing aspects of the Bastille is its size? *Phew!*

Also, would anyone recommend using a reserve price as opposed to setting a high minimum-bid or vice versa? I want to be sure I get at least a certain amount of money for the bag.

Any advice is appreciated as is the time in effort in taking a look to try to help! Thank you!

2. Hi JP, good luck with your selling. Your pictures are great - I think the more pictures you can have the better. I also think it is better to 'downplay' a bag so that the buyer can't complain about any stains etc. Definitely include dimensions - I do this with everything I sell.

I don't have any LV bags, so can't offer you LV specific advice, but can offer some general eBay advice.

1. To get the maximum amount your bag is worth, people need to trust you - ie you need to have good feedback. Have you got any feedback from buying stuff? If you have a low feedback score you might want to think about buying some more stuff to increase your score.

2. You need to decide where you are willing to ship. Worldwide will increase your exposure, but also increase the risks. Paypal doesn't offer much protection if you ship to unconfirmed addresses (and nearly all worldwide addresses are unconfirmed except Canada, US & UK). ONLY ship to confirmed addresses - and make this clear in your auction.

3. Shipping - you need to set a fair shipping price, covering all your handling charges (boxes, gas to get to PO etc). If you do ship to Canada or UK, you need to ship Global Express Mail, which is expensive, but provides insurance & tracking. Even in the US you need to ensure you get Delivery Confirmation & a signature. USPS has a good calculator to work all this out.

4. Personally, I don't like reserves, but I know that others love them, so it's a matter of taste. I always set the lowest bid at the lowest amount I am willing to take for the item, just in case there is only one bidder.

Good luck & let us know if it sells!:smile:
  3. Hi I've been cleaning out my closets and have sold some LV with great advice from everyone here:yes: . I would include the picture of the date code and list it in your description of the bag. Including the bags measurements is important to me as a buyer. I'd also mention it's from a smoke free and pet free home- if it is. You can do a search of what the same bag has sold for on eBay. Then price your bag based on that info. I personally don't have the nerve:s to price low with no reserve- I like using BIN(for selling and buying)

There is one thread here on ebay selling tips- A lot of really good advice/tips in it.
  4. Thanks dcgal and nyhockeymom91! :smile:

It is a good idea to include the bags' dimensions, definitely! I will be sure to mention the no-smoking, pet-free environment it was kept in, as well. My feedback score is decent, but not amazing. I have an 81 (98.8% positive) and have been a member since 2003.

I also was reading around last night a bit on this forum and came across a bunch of posts regarding waterstamping of images. It seemed that this was directed towards professional sellers on eBay, but would this be a good idea for me too?

I tried searching completed listings on eBay for "Louis Vuitton Bastille" but only one return came back when I did so and it is a fake, so I am still on my own as far as an expected price.

Does anyone have any other ideas to add? :smile:

Thanks again! Much appreciated in all respects!
  5. jpofsunya- I've read about the waterstamping too- and I wish I was better with the computer and could do it. It took me long enough to figure out how to post pictures:nuts: vbmenu_register("postmenu_1923986", true);
  6. Hi JP,
    Your pictures are good but you mention that there is cracking on the strap...add a picture of it. Also definately watermark your pictures. Having a reserve is a personal preference. If you don't want one make sure you start the auction at the price you are willing to take or you can take your chances.
    It's risky if you don't have a high feedback score.
    Hope that helps
  7. Thanks Sharon and lorihmatthews! Wow! I have a bit to read on that selling-tips thread and to keep me busy! Off to the dentist for now (eek!) but I will post an updated webpage, once I have implemented all the wonderful advice and knowledge brought to my attention! Thank you so very much!!!

All the best,
  8. I think it's good you describe the wear/tear in detail. There is nothing I hate more than to win an item that is described as "Excellent Used Conditions" only to receive something in shreds. So good job on that Jpofsunya!

Also, if Jpofsunya doesnt know how to watermark, maybe someone who does know could be kind enough to take a couple mins to do it?

I just posted in a thread where a buyer got a purse completely different than the pictures in the auction listing. So let's all do our part in helping stop scammers :yes:

Maybe someone could make a sticky tutorial on how to do it.
    I personally do not know know how to make the fancy translucent ones, but I can open up MS Paint and add standard text onto an image.

I can at least get started on that for you Jpofsunya if you need to list the purse today. It wont look as nice, but it is better than nothing.

Edit: Oh yeah, I need your Ebay ID name to put on the pics, duh! Silly me, what is it please?
  9. Hi Damier Fashion!
    Thank you for taking the time to read and reply. I appreciate the positive reinforcement on the description! I figured it was better to err on the side of caution when listing the imperfections of the bag.

I am going to try making some watermarks tomorrow (later today, technically). I can do the standard text, as you described but may have a go at the translucent too if I can grab the ear of a friend who is a bit more Photoshop savvy than I.

I have taken down the website in the meantime and will post an updated version ASAP. Very excited that this is coming together so well so far ...thanks in no small part to everyone here! :party:

Thanks again!!
  10. Definitely watermark if possible.

I have yet to figure this out and my pictures have been repeatedly stolen:sad:

Just the other day on eBay a bag was sold using my pictures! I was so mad. eBay finally took down the auction after the fact.
  11. Hi Again Everybody!

I finally got the pictures watermark'd and wrote up what I felt was a good auction description. Here is the listing:

Does anyone have any advice on any revisions I may want to make, etc?
    Does everything look to be in good order?

Thanks again for all the time, effort, and assistance. It is appreciated.

12. Okay, this is pretty weird...when I tried to place restrictions on buyers for the auction (negative feedback, outside of the U.S., etc.), I received the following message:
    You can not submit your listing due to the following problems
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Attention Seller: In order to maintain a safe trading environment, selling limits are occasionally placed on accounts. At this time, you are limited in the number of items you can list in any 7 day period. If you have any additional questions about this subject, email us at Customer Support.
    We sincerely value you as a member of our trading community and look forward to a continued successful relationship.
    Click here for a window with eBay's policy on replica or counterfeit items

I was only trying to revise the one listing I have made, which is this bag. I was also planning on posting some more clothing today, so I am wondering if I am not going to be able to do that now too.

Anyone have any ideas?
  13. For some reason with high end bags like LV ebay seems to treat a revision like a new listing, they probably review it again and if your bag has shown up in a search it may take a while for it to show up again.
    As far as the clothing, I have listed my son's and daughters gently used clothing with no problems they show up right away. Not sure if the same would be true if it's high end clothing.