Finally learned how to hard-cook an egg

1. I finally learned how to make hard boiled eggs.

Really. :yes:

I used to boil eggs but had very mixed results - mostly bad - with peeling them so they didn't look butchered.

Then someone told me to steam them. I've done so many times.

Works great! Eggs are consistently just as pretty as those for sale at the deli.

My big recipe contribution to tPF:

Put metal steamer basket in saucepan.
    Add enough water to level just below bottom of steamer.
    Bring water to mild boil over medium low heat.
    Add eggs and cook with lid on for 18-20 minutes.

2. Wow. lol time consuming. it only takes me 10 mins at the most lol

3. I think the ***real*** trick to having pretty eggs with an easy to peel shell is to NOT use fresh eggs. For some reason really fresh eggs always stick to the shell no matter how you cook them. For best results use eggs that have been stored in your fridge for a week or so.

4. Yep, I picked up that tip from food network. My eggs don't stick to the shells at all.

5. It will be easier to peel the egg shells if you salt the water before boiling

6. I never realized there was a trick to hard-cooking an egg. I've always put the egg in the water while it was cold, before it boiled. Never had a problem peeling them, just roll across the counter and viola!

7. Hey thanks! It is people like me who will benefit from this...I've been wanting to make an egg salad sandwich for months now. Perhaps I will give it a go tonight!

8. Thanks for the tip!

9. I think it's 3 minutes for a soft boiled egg?

(My dad used to make me Soldiers: Strips of buttered toast to be dipped into the soft boiled egg. When I feel like an egg, I usually do that in the morning.)