Film noir

1. Anyone else love film noir and neo-noir? I don't know why, but crime/detective movies are by far my favorite genre of film, and I love the old and the new. There are some amazing films out there. Who else is a fan?

2. i don't exactly fully understand the term of film noir.
    but is it like movies made to look like an old black and white or monochrome looks?
    or is it specific to detective movies?

if i'm not mistaken, they categorized sin city as film noir too right?

3. Sin City is neo-noir. Film noir is an old genre. Film noir movies were made between around the 1930s and 1970s. Maltese Falcon, the Big Sleep, the Third Man, Chinatown...some Hitchcock. Most is black and white. Neo-noir is the term used to describe modern films that evoke the same moods and qualities of noir - dark themes, detectives, crime, isolation, etc. The femme fatale is also a noir element. Neo-noir includes movies like L.A. Confidential, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Brick...

4. I've seen a couple of noirs but I tend to stick to dramas mainly. To each his own!!

5. I love noir, but I'm SoCal born and bred. :supacool:

There are lots of movies with noir undertones (like Streetcar Named Desire) that wouldn't be the same without those tones. I think Barton Fink is a great neo-noir film.

Most Coen brothers movies are partly noir-inspired, I think.

Netflix carries the "Film Noir" re-releases of the classics. Orson Welles already gives me the creeps, but I'm waiting to screw up the courage to watch The Stranger. They also have a copy of the great documentary on the genre, The Best of Film Noir.

I'm so bad with remembering, but there's that L.A. area author (not the Perry Mason guy, another guy) - I think his detective's name was Philip Marlowe. I'm totally addicted to his mysteries - and some have been made into movies. Ross McDonald, that's it - The Drowning Pool is the neo-noir (very colorful) movie based on his class book-noir.

Which reminds me. Noir is a favorite color of mine and it's been awhile since I checked the world for more b-bags in that color.

6. My favorites are Chinatown, L.A. Confidential, and Body Heat.

7. Marlowe is Raymond Chandler. He's one of my favorite authors, and Marlowe is one of my favorite characters! The Big Sleep is one of the best books I've ever read.

8. Hitchcock is one of the best. His lighting and camera angles in his b/w's make my skin crawl. But also big fan of the late 30s, early 40s flicks. Kubrick is one of my modern faves. Oh, too many to mention but those come to mind first.

9. have you seen Double Indemnity? Barbara Stanwick?

10. One of my favorites! Cheesy-but-great dialogue with a sharp plot. And Barbara Stanwick is one of the best femme fatales I've ever seen!

11. if you love great, corny, lightening fast diaglogue, check out any gangster flick with George Raft or James Cagney! Classic!

12. funny you should start this thread, i'm taking a Detective Fiction class right now that is really great - we just got done reading and watching The Maltese Falcon, and I have to finish The Big Sleep for class on Tuesday. i've got to say that i really loved Sam Spade, and i'm really liking Phillip Marlowe as well. we started out the class with stuff like Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christie, and now we're in the film noir era.

and it's also funny that someone should mention Barton Fink, because we're reading the screenplay and watching the movie right now in my Literature in Cinema class, which is taught by the same professor.

my professor's name is Joel Black, he's got several books that look really interesting on amazon. one is about murder's role in art...interesting stuff.

13. I took a detective fiction class my freshman year. That's how I got hooked on detective fiction and noir. I like Spade but I LOVE Marlowe. Enjoy the Big Sleep (the book, not the sleep). It's amazing.

14. And bagnshoo - I'll have to check out some of those flicks! Thanks ;).

15. Noir is great, and really it comprises a bunch of different aspects but doesn't always need any specific traits to be considered noir. Noir, to me, inspires a certain feeling. You can just tell a noir film when you're watching it. Mostly it's a dark theme as in the plot. Murder, deception, jealousy, greed, obvious protagonists/antagonists/denouements, and it often exposes a hopelessness of mankind. Heavy usage of shadows/obscured images. Classic Noir examples: Maltese Falcon, Double Indemnity, Kiss Me Deadly, Sunset Blvd, Strangers on a Train, even Casablanca. Neo-Noir can be anything from Chinatown to Heat to Pulp Fiction to Taxi Driver.

It's good stuff!