feline vagal nerve episodes? Help, please!

1. Hi,
    My 12 year old cat had a "vagal nerve" episode for the first time about 1.5 months ago. Here's what happened: he vomited, then raced around, then stopped cold and collapsed. he remained collapsed on the floor for a few minutes, extending his arms and legs like he was paralyzed and crying a little bit. He never lost consciousness. A few minutes later he got up and was a little wobbly at first, but then he was walking around like normal, and acting normal, shortly after.

Right after this happened, we brought him to the animal hospital. He had all sorts of tests done (liver, kidney, ekg, etc) and were told that everything checked out fine. The doctors told us they thought he'd had what is known as a "vagal nerve episode" and that some animals are just prone to them and there is no underlying cause, nor is there a cure.

Since then, this has happened 2 more times. He's going to his vet for another opinion, but I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience?

Thanks!:heart:

2. I am so sorry this is hapening to you and your cat. I have never heard of the disease/condition before. Did you try to do an internet search on it?? Hope you find out whats going on. *hugs*

3. My parents cat has done this since it was a kitten. They also took it to the vet numerous occasions to run tests, but nothing came up. It has these types of episodes every few months.

4. aww, I bet that is so scary!!! I'm sorry, I don't know anything about this. But it sounds like it will just be a part of his life and he'll otherwise be fine. *hugs*

5. Thanks for the well wishes, everyone! he has another checkup next week, and I'll let you know what we find out.

6. oh that must've been so nerve wracking to watch your cat do that! i'm sorry, I have no experience with this, but i wish your kitty the best!