feline perianal urethrostomy

1. I've been trying to find out information about this procedure in case the vet recommends my cat get it. I've had an old-timer vet tell me cats are more prone to getting infections after having this done, but the current vet says "they do great" and someone else we know says her cat had it done 15 years ago and is fine. Has anyone here had this procedure done on their male cat? I would really appreciate getting some info -- I tried Googling it, but have come up with surprisingly little about it.

Thanks, in advance!
  2. Where are you lizavet8? I am sure she will be able to give you more insight information.
    I have not done on my cat who has been blocked twice already, second one being worse, but if he blocks next time, I am definitely going to consider it. He did great for 2 years after the initial block but we were having to do some emergency work on the house and I imagine the stress did not help. He is doing great with controlling with diet alone still. I hear three stikes and out kinda rule.
    I did a search with perineal urethrostomy and several articles came up...
  3. Here's a good webpage on it:

(Just after the x-ray photo they have photos of the actual surgery and the same cat two weeks after the surgery. They're not too bad. They could be worse, but be careful if you get squeamish easily. But then after that is a section called Frequently Asked Questions After Surgery.)

Perianal means around the anus. (peri = around + anal = pertaining to the anus.)

Urethrostomy means making a permanent opening in the urethra so that a person / animal can urinate. (urethro = urethra + stoma = mouth)

The surgical opening is made just below the cat's anus.
  4. Thanks, Caitlin; that was a better site than any I was able to find. Thanks to both of you. It looks like we've passed the crisis stage, so hopefully we will not need to do the surgery. I'm glad to know about the 3 strikes rule.
  5. Sorry guys-hey, I've been working!;)
    I've done a few of these surgeries-I have to agree that the cats do pretty well. Yes, they can be more disposed to infection (to put it bluntly, the hole is bigger, and infection usually ascends) but an occasional bout of cystitis is better than blockage, any day! The owner has to understand that the cat may "dribble" and the skin can become irritated from urine scald. This is usually a much bigger deal in dogs. I wish we didn't have to do this procedure, but I do think it can be lifesaving (and truthfully, wallet saving) in the long run. Good luck with your kitty!
  6. Cystitis means inflammation of the bladder.
  7. Thank you! I'm glad to hear some comments on prognosis after the surgery.