Feeling sorry for myself

1. I moved to Toronto, ready to stop working in retail and get a 'real job.' Turns, out, I wasn't qualified for anything I wanted to do. (I wanted to do clerical work in a hospital.)

I signed up for medical terminology classes that start in January and end up in July. While I'm waiting for the class to start, I have to sell jewelry that, frankly, is not as fancy as what I was used to selling. On top of that, I have to make people believe what I'm selling are the Crown Jewels.

I am sick and tired of only having enough money for groceries.

I have to keep telling myself that living here and budgeting what little money I have for groceries is better than living at home, making what I used to be making driving my car and having to put up with my mother day in and day out.

I hate being smushed on the subway, I hate walking past restaurant windows and seeing people enjoying meals and being able to pay for them. I hate having to ask my parents for money because I ran out of chicken. I hate waiting for a paycheck doing a job I absolutely hate.

2. Things will get better. I think that once you add a lot on your résumé, it will look well, like how you are going to take a medical terminology class. Also, if you don't like the job you have, try searching for another, b/c that is really rough working at a job that you don't like. Just remember that it's not forever, and everyone has to start somewhere. Good luck!

3. huh. i don't know where i'm headed, so that's scary, right now i'm just trying to get into this nursing program at my school, so it's hard and i sort of know where you're coming from

however, my coworker is in a worst state then you are

she's 22, has to support her boyfriend and their 2 year old son, on a retail job as a salesgirl, working 40 hours a week (she used to do two jobs, forty hours each).

i normally wouldn't air this but short of calling me a ***** behind my back and not admitting to having a problem when i ask her, she makes my life a miserable when i'm at work.

so chin up! that's what i tell myself, whenever i get depressed or stressed i just think...things could be worst, be thankful for what you have, and you'll eventually get what it is you want if you work hard.

4. I guess I should feel grateful I'm doing jewelry and not fitting rooms.

And the jewelry isn't as fancy as what I'm used to, but at least it's not fashion jewelry.

I guess it's the idea of still doing retail that bothers me.

5. I'm so sorry, Caitlin. When you're going through tough times, it seems like it will never end. When I was first married, dinner out once a month was at Burger King. This is temporary, but I know it feels awful.

I agree with the poster who suggested looking for a more tolerable job while you train for what you really want.

Good luck.:flowers:

6. Caitlin:
    You can jumpstart your medical terminology by going on line and downloading reference material for free. You may try applying for a file clerk at a Dr.'s office that will get your feet in the door and as long as you know how to file it would be a good place to start learning the medical profession. I am wishing you the best hang in there:flowers:

7. Amamxr had an excellent suggestion. If you get a job first in a medical records department, you can always then apply for a clerical position when one opens. Most places prefer to hire inside the organization. I worked as a secretary in a large clinic for 2 years with little experience (so its possible to get hired, keep trying honey!), and saw people work their way up. I know its hard to be positive right now, but explore this option because getting your foot in the door is a great way to get what you want. Good luck sweetie!

8. Hmm maybe to suppliment the income you get from selling the jewels, you can get a job as a waiter or at bookstore or something while waiting for your course to start??

I used to feel the same way about myself (it's not the same story, but still i pitied myself)..i find that when u r busy doing other things, u tend to forget those feelings and it fades away after a while.. i really had fun when i was working as a waiter, made really good friends, had some extra cash and at some places, you can get free nice food..

9. Caitlin, I live in Toronto and am currently going to school and working part-time and money is always tight. I definitely live paycheck to paycheck and am so stressed out half the time. Being in a new city is hard. If you ever need someone to talk to, help you around the city or whatever, feel free to PM me. :smile:

10. Great idea and advice :yes:

11. I'm sorry your going through this Caitlin, it will get better, once you get rolling in school, you will never have to look back at retail again. At least you got that to look forward to. I used to work retail long before I joined the military. I was even a manager. It was soo stressful. This won't last forever. Hang in there. You were very brave to move to Toronto on your own. Did you live in the states before? Was it hard moving to Toronto?? Sorry for all the questions, I just think about living there someday. Probably soon, I'm sick of New Jersey:yucky:

12. That's a great idea amamxr!
    So sorry you're going through this Caitlin *hugs*
    Things will look up soon. patiance is one of the big keys in life.
    You will be rewarded you just gotta wait a bit.
    and as someone said..try to think about all the poor people around the world, starving children etc and thank god & be thankful that you're healthy and not sick etc. you will be alright.

13. Thanks, everyone.

I was also thinking of volunteering at the hospital I ultimately want to work at. That way, they can get to know me, and I'm doing something nice for other people.

BagFreak, to answer your question, my mom's side of the family is Canadian, I have lots of relatives in Toronto and Peterborough so we took vacations there every summer. When I thought about what I wanted to do and where I wanted to live, I always pictured myself being happy in Toronto.

After college, I lived at home, working the whole time while I figured out what I wanted to do. Eventually, I applied for dual citizenship and after about 18 months, I moved here.

(I also kept joking that if the last presidental election turned out the way it ultimately did, I'd be moving to Canada. That wasn't the entire reason, but at some point I was like, "All right, that's it. I'm out of here!")

14. I sure don't blame you there:lol: That's reason enough for me:wlae:I guess I'll look into applying for dual citizenship. We're going to visit soon, me and my mom was just talking about it. Shes been there twice already so has my husband.

15. Caitlin...can I just say how absolutely BRAVE you are to step out on your own?? A lot of ppl don't give college graduates enough cred. for getting out there and standing on their own two feet for the first time...I'm sure times are tough, but there is always the storm before the rainbow, right? :yes: I wish you the best of luck with your medical career, and just know that the sacrifices you make will be well worth it in the end!!! :flowers: