Feedback fr those taking/taken Sleep aid pills - Diphenhydramine

1. Hey gals,

i'm having sleep issues and taking the non addictive Diphenhydramine HCI (found in benadryl, sleepy time etc)

it doesn' work every time but then it works i end up sleeping ALOT like 14 hours. :wtf:

Does this happen to anyone else??? is this a normal reaction??

Sigh, i just want to sleep 8 hours, not 14!! ARGH!!!:confused1:

2. I would be extremely careful with that. Have you spoken with your physician about your sleep issues? There are a myriad of issues that can result in sleep loss. Some are minor, but others can be very severe (such as sleep apnea). If you are having issues sleeping your body is telling you that there is something wrong, physically or mentally.

3. Diphenhydramine or a similar derivative is in virtually every over the counter sleep aid. It commonly makes individuals drowsy for more than 8 hours. I'm not sure how old you are but you can try Melatonin, which is a natural product. Buy a trusted brand because dietary supplements aren't regulated by the FDA. Talk to your doctor about whether you need a prescription. One of the most important things in choosing a prescription sleep aid is whether you have trouble falling asleep, staying asleep, or both. I'd stay away from prescription sleep aids unless you really need them. Hope this helps! (By the way, I will be a doctor of pharmacy in less than a year, so I didn't make all of this up! This is what I tell my customers!)

4. Benadryl or any other otc sleep aid (which is all the same stuff pretty much like the above poster said) all knock me out for hours. I can't take that stuff unless I take it really early and allow myself at least 10 hours to sleep.

I say consult your doctor if you can and see about a prescription sleep aid. I haven't taken any for a while but Ambien would knock me out cold and I'd sleep hard for a few hours and feel quite rested when I got up and not groggy at all. That was years ago and there are so many more of them out now that there's probably something better you could try.

5. Sometimes diphenhydramine makes me sleepy, sometimes not. Doxylamine (found in Unisom) is another OTC sleep aid I use occassionally. In fact when I know I'm going to have trouble falling asleep, which happens because as a night-shift worker my sleep patterns get hopelessly screwed up on my days off, I take diphenhydramine and doxylamine together. This combination is guarenteed to make me sleep but sometimes I feel groggy when I wake up, nothing a cup or two of coffe and a hot shower won't take care of though.

6. hey gals thanks for the feedback.

I'm trying not to take any prescription sleeping aids cos those are strong and addictive i believe.

I'm just going through a super stressful time in my life where almost everything has gone wrong. i think that's what's causing the sleep problems. it's not anything serious like sleep apnea. but the sleep problem makes it more difficult for me to cope with things. Sigh.

ZOPHIE: sounds like it's the same effect on you as well that it makes you sleep for long hours. I'm a little relieved that it's not just me. it's such a chicken and egg story cos if i don't take it i can't sleep but if i take it i end up sleeping way too much without enough time to get stuff done. GRRR

Addicted DH: Hey thanks, it's definitely not serious liek sleep apnea. it's really just stress. i'm going through a super stressful time where 90% of everything that could go wrong has gone wrong.

I heart coach: CONGRATSon being a Doctor of Pharmacy!!! that's awesome!!

Hey thanks, i tried melatonin but it was worse. i got huge hangover headaches after taking it. Sigh. i would have preferred it since it's natural but too bad as i'm getting those crappy headaches when i wake up!

Madamefifi - Thanks for the tip. i gotta check out doxylamine. maybe it'll work better for me