Favorite Songs from Movies

1. The Fighting Temptations: I love all the gospel songs, but my favorites are:
    • Down to Da River (I love the combination of gospel and rap)
    • He Still Loves Me (I always get teary during that part in the movie).

William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet: I love the way songs are remixed in Baz Luhrman's movies. They fit. You totally get why that particular song is done in that way and put into that scene.
    • Kissing You - Des'ree (It's such a romantic song and it was so beautifully sung. I remember it being played when Juliet was dancing with Paris. She was trying to be polite, but she kept wanting to look back at Romeo.)
    • When Doves Cry - Quindon Tarver (I love this song. I loved the original Prince version, and I thought what was done to it in the movie was genius. The scene starts off with a church choir, and then a soloist steps forward and sings it a capella with the rest of the choir singing back up. After they get to the end of "This is what it sounds like when doves cry" the song kicks into a pop tempo and the boy and the choir continue.)
    • Requiem by Mozart (It's beautiful, it's haunting and it's a tragic sounding piece that fits in with the tragic scene of the movie.)

Moulin Rouge: Other than the plot and the actors, I love Baz Luhman's movies fo rthe music. The way he plays with it is just brilliant.

• Elephant Love Medley - Nicole Kidman, Ewan McGregor and Jamie Allen (Trying to woo Satine, Christian sings everything from Don't Leave Me This Way to Love Lifts Us Up Where We Belong to All You Need Is Love. Satine dismisses them as 'silly' but at some point she changes her mind and falls in love with him.)
    • Your Song - Ewan McGregor and Alessandro Safina (I love this song as sung by Elton John, but I also love it when it was sung by Satine and Christian.)
    • Come What May - Nicole Kidman And Ewan McGregor (It was the finale of Spectacular Spectacular. Theywere singing as characters that were in love, but they were also singing as people who were actually in love.)
  2. Sister Act: I don't particularly love this movie. I like it. I think it's cute and it's an original story - a woman in the witness protection program hides out in a convent and disguises herself as a nun. While there, she changes the church, the convent and the nuns for the better. I also love Whoopi Goldberg and Kathy Najimy.

The one song I remember and love from the movie is Hail Holy Queen. I didn't realize this when I saw the movie, but Hail Holy Queen is Salve Regina University's hymn.

It was only until I took a religion class at Salve Regina University did I make the connection between the song and the university. The teacher played that particular song from the soundtrack for us. The chorus goes, "Salve, Salve Salve Regina." Salve Regina is Latin for "Hail, Holy Queen."

What I love about the song in the movie is the first verse is sung in the traditional, hymn-like way. After that, the tempo picks up and the song starts again. Only this time, the nuns are clapping in time. There's a lot of whoa-oa-oa, Oh, Maria's and Al-le-lu-ia's thrown in there. The nuns that can really sing show off their vocal stylings and the shy one finally comes out of her shell and sings loudly. (Cherabim! Sa-weet Seraphim!)

I was in University chorus my junior and senior years. We sang Hail, Holy Queen at our Convocationceremony. (Every fall, the University holds a Convocation ceremony towel come the freshmen and hand out awards.)

Before we started rehearsal that day, our choral teacher had to remind us (I think he was joking) that we were not singing the Sister Act version and we weren't supposed to do the claps during each line.
  3. One of Adam Sandler's songs in "The Wedding Singer". The one he wrote for his exgf, it went something like: "soooomebody kiiiiilll meeee pleeeease". LOL. And I mean it. It's hilarious!!

Now if we must be serious, then "Talk Show Host" by Radiohead which is on the Leonardo DiCaprio version of Romeo and Juliet.
  4. Eurotrip: Funny movie, kick-ass music! Partly because, to highlight the different European countries travelled to throughout the movie, they put in

• The French version of My Generation (France)
    • Du by David Hasselhoff, a German love ballad (Germany. Well, Scotty wasn't IN Germany at the time. He was en route, dreaming he was already in Germany about to have sex with Mieke and this song was playing in the background)
    • Scotty and Cooper are confronted by football hooligans in England. It was demanded they sing the Official Manchester United fan song. They start singing Morning Train by Sheena Easton.
    And partly because they included the BEST SONG EVER . . . Scotty Doesn't Know - Lustra. Scotty, Cooper and their friends attend their graduation party. Earlier that day, Scotty's girlfriend, Fiona, dumps him. He decides he's going to forget about her and enjoy the party . . . . until the band starts playing a song that begins with: "Scotty doesn't know that Fiona and me do it in my van every Sunday." It goes on to say how the lead singer and Fiona would have sex a LOT and Scotty had no clue what was going on. Part of the chorus goes: "Scotty doesn't know. So don't tell Scotty. Scotty doesn't knoooooow....

One verse begins (and ends with) "I did her on his birthday"

The cool thing is, as brutal as that was, Scotty and his friends begin to embrace the song: It was Cooper's cell phone ring, the friends sing it during a train ride and the techno mix of it plays at a club in Bratislava (Scotty and his friends laugh at that).
  5. Love Actually: I LOVE this movie! It's a great romance, it's a great Christmas movie, it's got a fabulous mostly British cast (Hugh Grant, Colin Firth and Rowan Atkinson as well as Cate Blanchett and Keira Knightly, to name a few) and it's got wonderful music!

• All You Need Is Love - The Beatles (Peter and Julia were about to walk down the aisle as man and wife. Earlier, Mark, the best man, promised there would be no surprises. All of a sudden, everyone hears voices singing, "Love, love, love" and a choir appears in the choral balcony. As Peter and Julia react to the choir, certain members of the congregation stand up one by one in the pews and on the pulpit and play instruments until they walk down the aisle to a vocal and instrumental rendition to All You Need is Love.)
    • Jump (For My Love) - The Pointer Sisters (Hugh Grant as Britain's Prime Minister dancing around his office. Enough said.)
    • Here With Me - Dido (I fell in love with this song as soon as I heard it. It's beautiful and sad and romantic all at the same time. It was playing just after Mark left Julia and Peter's flat. Mark just told Juliet, via pieces of posterboard, that because it's Christmas and people tell the truth at Christmas, he loved her and that to him, she's perfect. And he will keep loving her until she looks like a decrepit mummy. And he would never act on his feelings because Peter is his best friend.
    • God Only Knows - The Beach Boys (This plays both during the opening and closing credits of the movie. Both times, footage is shown of delighted reunions of friends and loved ones at Heathrow Airport.)
  6. Bridget Jones's Diary: You can tell when a movie has great music when you hear a song from the soundtrack and you not only catch yourself humming it and when you can remember exactly what was going on in the movie when the song was playing.

• All By Myself - Jamie O'Neal (In the previous scene Bridget had overheard Mark Darcy say something disparaging about her at her mother's annual Turkey Curry Buffet. Bridget is now drunk in her apartment, wearing pajamas and smoking a cigarette. You think the song is part of the background music and she's just staring into space until she 'plays' the guitar along with the song. Then she starts lip-synching and gesturing along to the song's climax: "All by myself. Don't wanna be. All! by! myself! Anymooooooore!")
    • I Can't Live If Living Is Without You - Mariah Carey (Bridget points out Daniel Cleaver and talks about how she's trying to get him to pay attention to her. She then mentions how difficult that might be, considering how she was at the company Christmas party. Cut to Bridget at the party, drunkenly and off-key singing this karaoke style. Daniel was not impressed.)
    • Respect - Aretha Franklin (Bridget is quitting her job. Daniel has been cheating on her and seeing him at work every day is a really bad idea.Danielbegs,pleadsand even threatens her to stay. Finally, she retorts, "If staying here means I'd have to work with you, I'd rather wipe Saddam Houssein's ass." With that, she turns on her heel and strides out of the office. Coworkers applaud and this song strikes up.)
    • I'm Every Woman - Chaka Khan (Bridget sets about improving her life. One thing she does to achieve this is to start exercising. After a vigorous workout on the stationary bike, Bridget gets off, only to find out what happens when one starts a new, intense workout: her legs are like rubber. She collapses to the floor and exlaims, "f:cursing:ck.")
    • Ain't No Mountain High Enough - The Supremes (Bridget expressed her feelings for Mark and Mark expressed his feelings for Bridget. She exuses herself and goes into her bedroom to put on a sexier pair of panties. As she's changing, she hears her apartment door close. Running into the living room, she spots her diary open on the table, with some not so nice things written about Mark. I believe the entry ends with "I hate him." Fearing he hates her, she runs out to try to explain herself to him. Attempting to run in the snow barefoot does not work, so she puts on a pair of sneakers and runs out the door, not caring she's only wearing a black camisole and leopard panties. When she catches up to him, he was leaving a shop and he explains he was just buying her a new diary. They kiss. Bridget tells him nice boys don't kiss like that and Mark replies, "Oh yes, they f:cursing:cking wel do." Bridget kisses him back.It starts to snow and he opens his coat and wraps her in it.)
  7. My DH thinks I'm a dork because I buy movie soundtracks all the time. I have the soundtracks to "O Brother Where Art Thou", "Zoolander", "Swingers", "The Big Easy", and "Sleepless in Seattle" to name a few.

I bought the soundtrack to "The Crow" even though I've never seen the movie because I love White Zombie's cover of KC and the Sunshine's "Boogie Man".
  8. Moon River- Breakfast at Tiffany's (The entire soundtrack rocks)

When Tulsa from "Gypsy" (1962- Natalie Wood) busts out with "All I Need Is The Girl".
  9. All the songs from Grease and Wedding Singer
  10. In Your Eyes, by Peter Gabriel. It was played during a love scene in the movie "Say Anything".

I too love that Adam Sandler song "Kill Me" in The Wedding Singer!!! Doesn't he say something right before he starts singing like "I just want to warn you that when I wrote this, I was listening to the Cure"!!!

That part kills me!:roflmfao:
  11. From Valley Girl...I Melt With You by Modern English

The Lake House... This Never Happened Before by Paul McCartney:heart:
  12. ^^^
    Yeeeeeeees! I LOVE that scene.:heart:

Rocky Horror Picture Show's Time Warp.
  13. Titanic- My Heart will go on by Celine Dion
  14. Bend it Like Beckham: Movie reviews called it the best British comedy since 'Bridget Jones' Diary'. The whole soundtrack is a blend of Indian melodies and British music. I think that fits in very well with the plot: an Indian girl living in England and wanting to play football like her idol, David Beckham, much to the chagrin of her traditional Indian parents.

• Darshan - B21 (This song was playing during Jess's sister's wedding reception. Even if it's in another language you just want to get up and dance. Looking up the lyrics, I found out the lyrics are talking about how enjoyable it is for the singer to watch a girl dance and walk. The chorus goes, "Girl, I've seen your presence this morning, today shall be a wonderful day.")
    • Inner Smile - Texas (Jess and Jules are at the airport, about to go to America for a football scholarship. Their families and Joe are about to see them off. Just before Jess leaves, she and Joe kiss for the first time.)
    • I Wish - Victoria Beckham (I think it was playing during the end credits. I like the song. It's also fitting because David and Victoria Beckham have a brief cameo during the movie.)
  15. Cruel Intentions: As soon as I saw this movie, I went out and bought the soundtrack. The only song I was familiar with was Bitter Sweet Symphony by The Verve. It was a great movie. I loved the actors, I loved the outfits and it gave me an opportunity to listen to music I wouldn't otherwise listen to.

• Every You Every Me (Single Mix) - Placebo (It was the opening sequence of the movie and Sebastian's 1956 Jaguar Roadster was driving across the bridge towards the city. You hear the music, you see the car and you think, "I'm intrigued.")
    • Comin' Up From Behind - Marcy Playground (Sebastian is on his way to talk to his friend Blaine. Sebastian knows that Greg calls Blaine for the occasional secret tryst. Sebastian wants Blaine to call Greg for 'another round' Sebastian is going to walk in 'catching' them in the act, and threaten to tell everyone if Greg doesn't give him the information he needs on Annette.)
    • Bedroom Dancing - Day One (The camera shows a close-up of a silver bowl full of maraschino cherries. A female hand, Cecile's, takes one and sexily eats it. Sebastian has just finished 'educating' Cecile and is writing in his journal. Cecile wants some 'extra credit' but Sebastian isn't interested. I find it funny that after Sebastian gets up to take a shower, Cecile calls HIM a prude!)
    • Addictive - Faithless (I can't for the life of me remember what scene this came from, but I know it was in the movie and I loved it.)
    • Bitter Sweet Symphony - The Verve (This was playing during a delicious scene where every vicious thing Kathryn has done has been exposed. The look Cecile gives Kathryn when she gives her a photo copy of Sebastian's journal was priceless. The movie ends with Annette driving Sebastian's car away from the city, Sebastian's journal in the front seat.)