Favorite piece(s) of art (by a dead artist)

Was first exposed to ART in a song by Don McClean "Vincent" and loves Van Gough as an Artist for his style, like Dali and Dadaism as well... My absolute favorite designer will have to be Warhol!!!

I posted this in The meaning of this song thread but felt it belonged here, too:

Speaking of the juxtaposition of sex and religion, I remember taking a Philosophy of Beauty class in college.

One of the pieces we talked about was Ecstacy of St. Teresa by Gianlorenzo Bernini.

I got this information from my textbook: Arts & Ideas by William Flemming

pp. 388 - 390:

. . . Bernini portrays Teresa in a state of ecstacy. In her autobiography she describes a bright angel, face aflame, who appeared to her in a vision.

As she describes it:

In his hands I saw a great golden spear, and at the iron tip there appeared to be a point of fire. This he plunged into my heart several times so that it penetrated to my entrails. When he pulled it out, I felt he took them with it, and left me utterly consumed by the great love of God. The pain was so severe that it made me utter several moans. The sweetness caused by the intense pain is so extreme that one cannot possibly wish it to cease, nor is one's soul then content with anything but God . . . So gentle was this wooing which takes place between God and the soul . . .

Attachments

• St Teresa.jpg
    St Teresa.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 115
DOn;t know if these have been posted but I LOVE these:

Pieta.jpg

christinasworld.jpg

drsyn001.jpg

more Andrew Wyeth...

This one is called "The Intruder"... its sort of creepy... who is the Intruder if not the dog? Its so dark... theres SOMETHING there.. the dog sees it..

The-Intruder-723147.jpg

harley.com/art/abstract-art/images/%28vangogh%29-irises.jpg

My favorite too.

also

The portrait of Madame Allan Bott by Tamara De Lempicka

attachment.php

Wassily Kandinsky, Composition VIII

attachment.php

Woman at the Window by Salvador Dalí

attachment.php

Attachments

• de-lempicka-tamara-portrait-de-madame-allan-bott-7000942.jpg