Favorite piece(s) of art (by a dead artist)

1466.jpg

670.jpg

757.jpg

773.jpg

WDC1072.jpg

The next movie is Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

This was Disney's very first full length animated feature. It was released 70 years ago, in 1937.

You can still watch it and get caught up in it.

I love Dopey. I love the fact that he can't talk, but he can scream. I can still remember the scene where he sticks the diamonds in his eyes, and the scene where he swallows the soap.

167.jpg

186.jpg

512.jpg

529.jpg

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Concept Art
newdis_queen.jpg

newdis_dwarfs.jpg

newdis_witch.jpg

The last movie is Dumbo.

I always cry when he sees his mother after she'd been locked up because they thought she was dangerous when really, she just got mad at a visitor bothering her baby.
My favorite scene was when Timothy and Dumbo get drunk and they see pink elephants.

dumbo360.jpg

dumbo155.jpg

dumbo157.jpg

12568_36631_7.jpg

Pieter Claesz. (Dutch, 1597/98–1660)
Still Life with a Skull and a Writing Quill

rembrandt_15.L.jpg

(From the Metropolitan Museum of Art)

I love the smoke in background! I love the realism of the skull and the quill!

(For the next few pieces, unless I say otherwise, I got my information from the Metropolitan Museum of Fine Art's Website)

I love unicorns and this is the most well-known picture of one.

The Unicorn in Captivity, 1495–1505
South Netherlandish

Description
The seven individual hangings known as "The Unicorn Tapestries," are among the most beautiful and complex works of art from the late Middle Ages that survive. Luxuriously woven in fine wool and silk with silver and gilded threads, the tapestries vividly depict scenes associated with a hunt for the elusive, magical unicorn.

"The Unicorn in Captivity" may have been created as a single image rather than part of a series. In this instance, the unicorn probably represents the beloved tamed. He is tethered to a tree and constrained by a fence, but the chain is not secure and the fence is low enough to leap over: The unicorn could escape if he wished. Clearly, however, his confinement is a happy one, to which the ripe, seed-laden pomegranates in the tree—a medieval symbol of fertility and marriage—testify. The red stains on his flank do not appear to be blood, as there are no visible wounds like those in the hunting series; rather, they represent juice dripping from bursting pomegranates above. Many of the other plants represented here, such as wild orchid, bistort, and thistle, echo this theme of marriage and procreation: they were acclaimed in the Middle Ages as fertility aids for both men and women. Even the little frog, nestled among the violets at the lower right, was cited by medieval writers for its noisy mating.

Because the unicorn is often used as a symbol of purity, it had been said that it would only approach virgin damsels.

Attachments

• unicorncaptivity.jpg
    unicorncaptivity.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 227
The Little Fourteen-Year-Old Dancer, 19th–20th century (executed ca. 1880; cast in 1922)
By Edgar Degas (1834–1917); Cast by A. A. Hébrard

I remember seeing this in a museum once.

This is one of the most well-known pieces by Degas.
The sculpture is bronze with a cotton skirt and a satin ribbon. I like how it gives the illusion of a 'movable' skirt.

Another thing I've noticed in Degas's work is that in performance, in rehearsal, all of his dancers wear tutus, never leotards. Either they didn't wear leotards back then, or the subjects wearing leotards wouldn't give him that much to work with.

Attachments

• littledancer.jpg
    littledancer.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 231
I am drawn to modern art, and my favorite is Starry Night, Van Gogh, which I see has been posted already! :yes:

I also love Pollock's drip paintings, especially the huge one at the Museum of Modern Art. And Rauschenberg and de Kooning I like a lot, too.