Favorite piece(s) of art (by a dead artist)

caitlin1214

tPF Bish
O.G.
Jul 7, 2006
circe_barker.jpg

Circe by Wright Barker

persephone.jpg

Prosperine by Dante Gabriel Rossetti

(I love mythology. I love these paintings because they both show elements that make that particular mythological character who she is. Circe was a greek sorceress who had the power to turn men in to animals.

Persephone was a maiden who was kidnapped by Hades, king of the Underworld. Her mother searched far and wide to bring her back. Because she had eaten some of the pomegranate while in Hades, she had to stay there for part of the year. That's where the seasons come from. When Persephone is on Earth with her mother, it's spring. When she's down in Hades, it's winter.

carnation.jpg

Carnation, Lily, Lily Rose by John Singer Sargent

I love the glow in the lanterns. I love the details of the lanterns and the flowers.

I remember having a print of a Toulouse Lautrec poster in the basement of the house I grew up in! (The basement was our playroom. It was where we used to watch cartoons, so I remember seeing this every time we went downstairs.) For the longest time, I never knew the name, but I remember the woman in the picture wearing an orange cancan skirt.

2100-1033.jpg

gogh.starry-night.jpg

Starry Night by Van Gogh

I love this! This has got to be one of my most favorite paintings!

The title, Starry Night, seems like such a calm title. But the truth is, he was going through a very rough time when he painted that. He painted this close to an insane asylum, 13 months before he committed suicide.

meninas.jpg

Las Meninas (Maids of Honor) by Diego Velazquez

I love the details on the clothes of the subjects.
I love how the canvas in the painting is the exact size of actual painting to scale.
I love how the artist is painting himself painting.

Basically the entire painting is making a reference to itself.