Favorite Doggie Treat Recipes!

1. I know that people have talked about making their own dogfood. I haven't done that yet, but I do regularly bake my furkids some treats and was wondering if some of you do the same and perhaps we could share some recipes.

Anyways, without further ado, here are some of Andre and Mouschka's favorites.

1 cup whole wheat flour
    1 cup unbleached white flour
    1/4 cup cornmeal
    1/4 cup plus Parmesan cheese
    1/4 cup plus Cheddar cheese
    1 large egg
    3/4 cup water

1. Preheat oven to about 325 F and wait at least 15 minutes prior to putting the biscuits in oven to ensure uniformity of temperature.

2. Combine flours, cornmeal, cheeses in a large bowl. Whisk together with a fork.

3. In a separate cup, whisk egg in water. Slowly add egg-water while mixing it into the flour mixture, then knead until mixed. Try not to overmix, so that it remains softer.

4. Roll out to about 1/4 inch thickness on a floured surface and sprinkle with additional cheddar cheese or parmesan cheese (or both!). Cut out with cookie cutters. Transfer onto baking sheet and bake about 30 minutes until slightly golden.

2. I need to give credit where credit is due. These two are from the National Dog Biscuit Baking Company. Absolutely wonderful. You can buy the cookbook along with cookie cutters.

1/2 pound round or chuck steak
    1 cup all purpose flour
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    1/2 cup potato flour or starch
    1 cup wheat germ
    1 tablespoon parsley
    1 tablespoon garlic powder (I don't add this because I read somewhere that garlic is not good for dogs.)
    1/3 cup safflower oil
    2 tablespoons sour cream
    1 cup reserved beef liquid.

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Wait a little bit before adding the biscuits to the oven to ensure temperature uniformity.

2. Cut steak into strips and boil in 4 cups of water. When cooked, remove meat with tongs and put in the food processor and finely chop the beef. Reserve 1 cup of the beef liquid.

3. Combine flours, wheat germ, parsley flakes in a bowl. Add the beef, beef reserved liquid, oil and sour cream while mixing. Mix into a dough, but try not to over-knead.

4. Turn out dough to about 1/4 inch thick, cut with cookie cutters dipped in flour.

5. Transfer to a cookie sheet and bake about 30 minutes. Turn off oven and leave the biscuits cooking in the oven for 30 minutes or more (depending on how big the biscuits are). Don't go more than 1 hour if you don't want the biscuits too hard.

3. Your pups are very fortunate you like to bake for them! I'm sure they enjoy their treats!

I hate cooking, but my pets do get a ton of treats all day long. I usually have a nice selection of five or six things they like in the pantry and they get tidbits all the time. That includes things like Vanilla Wafers and Wheat Thins. They also love to eat peanut butter right off of the spoon.;)
  4. Balenciagalove, it's so nice of you to bake for your furbabies! Leelee, I read about this great seller who also makes scrumptious dog treats:

thecountrybaker (only ships to the US)

Reading the feedback makes me salivate but unfortunately (and understandably) they don't ship thousands of miles away:

5. Awww, thanks! I figure by now, I'm the only freak here that bakes for her pooches. ;)
  6. Glad this thread bubbled up. I know a few pooches who I am sure would be thrilled to get a fresh baked snack. I am going to try these out and take them to the shelter in town!
  7. Awww, Kitty! That is so nice of you!! I'm sure they'll appreciate it! :heart:
  8. <-- Soon to be a "baking for my dog" freak! And BL, it has been so long since I talked to you here that I almost forgot your user name!
  9. I tried baking treats for my dog once and they smelled AWFUL. The whole house was stinking so bad we were all gagging. They never got really that hard either so they were more like doggie cookies. That was the last time I tried to bake for my baby.
  10. Our doggie gets lots of scraps - but before anyway yells at me, they are always healthy like steamed vegetables, egg whites, oatmeal, etc.

I would love to make baked doggie treats but since I don't cook for DH, I don't want to end up in the dog House if you know what I mean.
  11. I made the cheese biscuits this past weekend and marched down to the shelter. Holy moly did I have a lot of happy volunteers and happy doggies!! Even had a cat try one (she was jealously looking for where her treats were). It was so much fun to do!! Plus I got to play with so many doggies!! (a definite bonus!)
  12. Kitty - That was so wonderful of you! :heart: :heart: I'm so glad that it was a success! What a generous heart you have!

ET - I made the PEANUT BUTTER STUCK ON THE ROOF OF MY MOUTH Cookies today. They were a great hit! The dough is messy though.

Zophie - I'm sorry that you didn't have a good experience. I typically don't bake any liver flavored treats because of the smell. It just has a way of stinking up the whole house. Cheese and peanut butter are great treats to make.

LVChicago - My hubby complains from time to time about me baking for the dogs. It's such a hard thing for a man not to be Top Dog. ;) Just Kidding!

From the book, DOG FOOD: A CANINE CUISINE

3 cups whole wheat flour
    1/2 cup rolled oats
    2 tsp baking powder
    1 1/2 cups lactose free milk
    1 1/4 cup peanut butter
    1 tbsp molasses

Preheat oven to 350F.
    Mix in a bowl your milk, peanut butter and molasses until smooth. (I use a whisk because the peanut butter tends to be a bit thick).
    Mix in a large bowl your flour, oats and baking powder. Add your wet ingredients to the dry. Knead your dough with your hands because this stuff will be hard to work with any other way. (They're not kidding about this). Roll out 1/4 inch thick and cut into shape with cookie cutter. Bake for 20 minutes, or until lightly brown.

Notes: I rolled it out a little thicker and baked only 20 minutes so it's still a little soft. Pooches rate it two paws up!

Thanks again!

:heart: BL
  14. Not a recipie...but one "non-comercial" treat that Reggie LOVES is baby carrots.

They are sweet and crunchy and cool...and since I'm eating them too he knows he's getting something special.

Thank you for the recipies - with all these dog food recalls - that they are not done with - I've been really careful about what I give him.
  15. I was looking for a good homemade doggy treat recipe, and I found this thread. I just wanted to let you know, BalenciagaLove, that my furkids will be singing your praises in about 4 hours!

I will take pictures and post once they are done :yahoo: