FASHION RESOLUTIONS 2014 and the shape of things to come...

We didn't have too much of a winter this year so I didn't get a chance to go through my winter/fall work wardrobe but today I finally purchased a pair of straight legged work pants (finally, its' been on my to buy list for so long) and will be donating two pairs of work pants that don't really fit well any more and I have had for almost 4+ years (still in great condition though, just doesn't fit me perfectly anymore). I think I will be looking to get rid of a few more older work pants - I'd love to have one pant hanger for summer/spring, and another for fall/winter - each hanger holds 4. I also finally purchased that winter coat and instead of going for black, I went for cobalt! I wasn't sure at first but I love the cut and the gold detailing of it (realized a lot of my shoes have gold detailing) so it works out perfectly. These two new pieces are definite keepers and will be replaced until they fall apart.

also finally purchased that winter coat and instead of going for black, I went for cobalt! I wasn't sure at first but I love the cut and the gold detailing of it (realized a lot of my shoes have gold detailing) so it works out perfectly. These two new pieces are definite keepers and will be replaced until they fall apart.

Ooh that call for a photo shoot I think... :smile:

Ooh that call for a photo shoot I think... :smile:
no photos yet, but here's the link! - http://bananarepublic.gapcanada.ca/browse/product.do?vid=3&pid=305449003

Been wearing it everyday since I got it =) LOVE IT. I'm so happy I ventured out and tried this color.

It's starting to get very very cold where we are so I'm actually able to go through my winter items now. I've managed to bring back 2 turtlenecks I wasn't sure about and re-work them into my wardrobe, and I don't think I need any more sweaters for work, but may need a couple more casual looking sweaters for weekends since I have been stuck in the hoodie phase. I purchased a JCrew sweater in December to test out and I must say, I love it. Been wearing it all the time on casual Fridays and weekends, even sometimes for work. I think if might add one or 2 more to the mix and I will be done for winter weekends.

So far so good,

I purchased an ivory blazer linen cotton blend (this has been on the list for some time)
Taupe 100 percent cashmere light weight scarf for the spring /summer months.
My capsule wardrobe is ready for the spring summer.

That is a gorgeous coat! Great pick. I love the style! The color is such a pleasant pop!

no photos yet, but here's the link! - http://bananarepublic.gapcanada.ca/browse/product.do?vid=3&pid=305449003

Been wearing it everyday since I got it =) LOVE IT. I'm so happy I ventured out and tried this color.

It's starting to get very very cold where we are so I'm actually able to go through my winter items now. I've managed to bring back 2 turtlenecks I wasn't sure about and re-work them into my wardrobe, and I don't think I need any more sweaters for work, but may need a couple more casual looking sweaters for weekends since I have been stuck in the hoodie phase. I purchased a JCrew sweater in December to test out and I must say, I love it. Been wearing it all the time on casual Fridays and weekends, even sometimes for work. I think if might add one or 2 more to the mix and I will be done for winter weekends.

Does anyone know banana republic ethical policies? Stance on sustainability? Their clothes are not particularly inexpensive so I did wonder if they trace their supply chain...and pay their workers well.

Banana Republic is Gap. So...not really.

Yeah, basically Gap and BR have the same manufacturers.

Wow really? I just checked and was not impressed. GAP and B R clothes are quite expensive for what they are and , they as a company can easily afford to have basic ethical policies. Marks & Spencer is similarly priced and offer a lot more : http://corporate.marksandspencer.com/howwedobusiness/our_policies/climate_change perhaps not perfect but still pretty good. They also have animal welfare high on their list, no fur, no cruelty etc.

Wow really? I just checked and was not impressed. GAP and B R clothes are quite expensive for what they are and , they as a company can easily afford to have basic ethical policies. Marks & Spencer is similarly priced and offer a lot more : http://corporate.marksandspencer.com/howwedobusiness/our_policies/climate_change perhaps not perfect but still pretty good. They also have animal welfare high on their list, no fur, no cruelty etc.

I'm happy to learn that of marks and Spencer's. We had one in Vancouver when I was very young and I remember going it through it with my mom, she loved it (having lived in England for many years).

I did find this list for some apparel ratings and was really surprised to see some of the rankings. http://www.goodguide.com/categories/277459-apparel##products

3 months into the year how are we all doing on our resolutions so far?

Here's my update:

1. Continue to spend less money on fashion purchases (Not including fine jewelry).
With the Bulgari ring out of the way, my fashion purchases are within an acceptable range. I had enjoyable experiences, including a much needed vacation to Universal Studios/Orlando. I spent way less than planned in Orlando after striking out at All Saints and Zara.

2. Improve Care & Maintenance
Considering what I DIDN’T spend in Orlando, I had little excuse for NOT going to the cobbler and tailor. I had 3 pairs of shoes fixed and 2 pairs of pants altered. I fixed the loose stitching on a tank top—wanting to wear it to Universal was the push I needed. I recently discovered yet another pair of shoes that need fixing and I do have a long retired purse whose straps could use some TLC too. But not urgent.

I found a new dry cleaner, reasonable prices and actually friendly. Also, I purchased sweat guards for my jackets/coats—not glamorous, but hey I live in the tropics.

3. One in, one out for heels.
One pair of heels in, one pair of heels sold!
However, I wouldn't be surprised if I break this resolution. Heels are sneaky little temptations that defy all logic. Haha.

4. Continue to shop for and maintain a wardrobe suitable for my real life.
I altered my a pair of suit pants to be flat-friendly for work. (The reality is I rarely wear heels to work, because the insoles of my heels are flattened-essentially ruined--after one day.) The material is a heavy wool flannel, which already has limited wear-ability living in the tropics, and it cost me too darn much money to further sit in my closet due to fit issues--especially when it was purchased specifically to be worn to work. (I've since stopped buying "fashion suiting"). Since alterations, I've already worn them three times versus my previous three times a year if that!

Purchase-wise I added 2 work appropriate black sweaters, stylish (and comfortable!) purple driving shoes, and some basics from Gap Body. I couldn't justify keeping a fabulous Peter Pilotto/Target beach tote; unfortunately it was too massive to use as a day bag--and I already have more luggage than I have occasion to use.

5. Shop Like A Tourist (At Home)
Seven out of ten of my fashion purchases were made in store and I supported small, local businesses including my tailor, cobbler, dry cleaner, and essential oil shop. I had to dispute 2 online transactions from 2 different UK based niche retailers--thankfully quick and easy to resolve.

So far I've been continuing to purge items - it's going slower now since I purged quite a bit last year. Other than my winter jacket that I got in the beginning of the year, and work pants, I have not added any clothing items and have been getting a lot of wear from what I bought (it has helped that the weather is still requiring a thicker jacket, and I have been getting lots of compliments on it).

I had been eyeing a watch last year and decided to put a battery into my old watch to see if I would actually wear it enough to justify getting a new watch. I wore it everyday for months and eventually decided to get 2 watches that were less expensive combined, than the one I had been eyeing, and I love both much more. Now I have a watch for darker colored outfits and one for lighter colored outfits. I have been wearing a watch everyday for more than 6 months now. I am also listing 3 of my old watches for sale to counter the number I own.

I have been really good at using the bags and wallets I currently own without an urge to really go out and buy something. I think I've somewhat plateaued with my handbag purchases and it feels great.

I still have yet to cultivate a weekend/casual wardrobe since nothing has caught my eye and I'm not sure what I'm looking for yet - while I may look a bit homely on the weekends, I am not planning to rush into this project. I want to have some well thought out purchases.

I have begun to look for ways to re-purpose or re-vamp older items to fit into my lifestyle now.