FASHION RESOLUTIONS 2014 and the shape of things to come...

one: Write a short review of your style and the progress you made in 2013. How did your style, lifestyle and aesthetic preferences evolve?

I began taking steps toward curating my wardrobe and boiling down my style. I like a classic look with the occasional edge and pops of color.

My color palette: Blacks, grays, reds, blues, and certan shades of purple. And of course classic white shirts. Red is my statement and signature color.

I've essentially distilled my look into variations of three uniforms:

1) silk or cotton button downs and skinny jeans
2) knee length sheath or turtleneck dresses
3) skirts with either a turtlneck sweater or silk shirt/blouse

I have a few edgier, asymetrical tops that I wear with coated denim and black skinnies on occasion. I mostly wear solid colors and am very selective with patterns and prints. I tend to wear a striped or textured blazer with jeans and a leather or boucle/tweed jacket with dresses and skirts. My daily accessories are pearls and a scarf.

I tried to buy less quanity and more quality. Switched up my brand of jeans from Paige to Joe's and AGs. Started expanding from pencil to fit and flare too - for dresses as well as skirts.

two: Write about one or two paragraphs about your style and wardrobe plans for 2014. Which aspects about your style and your wardrobe do you want to improve, why and how?

Continue curating and refining my style. Buy more quality pieces, as well as more jewelery. I'm pretty happy with my look, though I'm open to experiementing here or there.

three: Express your five most important goals in a short, motivating sentence each and then start sketching out how you want to achieve or implement them.

1. Find the perfect LRD. I have gorgeous LBDs for cocktail/similar events, as well as regular red dresses, but I'm still hunting for the perfect special occasion LRD.

2. Buy more dresses generally. I was happy with my acquisitions this year, but I want to continue expanding here.

3. Find the perfect red bag. i have a red tote, but I'm aiming for a structured satchel/bowler.

4. More quality pieces. I did better last year, but there's still room for improvement. I also want more major investment pieces beyond cocktail/special occasions.

5. Understated elegance is suitable for everywhere. Always be polished, tailored, and chic no matter where I'm going. I did pretty well this year, but there's still an outfit or two that I like, but don't love. This is unacceptable.

Looking forward to joining!

1. My style is hip/casual/clean. Best way to describe it is Malibu (I live in SoCal so it's very fitting). In 2013 I really found myself wanting to dress better but clothing had to comfortable to move fast in since I have little little ones. I wanted to look good and put together but had to look like it was effortless. In the spring of this year, I became pregnant so had to figure out how to look good with a growing belly. I'm due in 2 weeks so looking forward to getting back into my old clothes again.

2. I want to really clean out my wardrobe of items I don't wear and only buy good quality pieces. I have a hard time getting rid of clothes but I think tomorrow I will go in and do another round of "is this me now?" I want to make a list of what's missing and go from there to keep focused and not just buy stuff to buy.

3. I'm going into 2014 with the objective to stay within my lifestyle and not what's in a magazine. To think about every piece on how this will look on me and how I can make it me. I know the better I look the better I feel so make every wardrobe change count. Lastly and most importantly: be comfortable in my own skin and this will make any outfit.

... so I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas break and is ready to spruce up their wardrobes for 2014 - I was in the process of jotting down a few notes when I stumbled upon this blog: http://into-mind.com/2013/12/29/january-wardrobe-challenge-setting-style-goals-for-2014/

I ve decided to take the challenge - and share this here.

one: Write a short review of your style and the progress you made in 2013. How did your style, lifestyle and aesthetic preferences evolve?

two: Write about one or two paragraphs about your style and wardrobe plans for 2014. Which aspects about your style and your wardrobe do you want to improve, why and how?

three: Express your five most important goals in a short, motivating sentence each and then start sketching out how you want to achieve or implement them.
Hi ladysarah! Another inspiring thread...so what are your thoughts?
I shall be back once I have taken the time to reflect on all that happened last year...I know that I have done much better this year in avoiding compulsive purchases, sale items that would only fill my imaginary lifestyle...

My style is classic with a twist of eclectic and bohemian, in 2013, I decided that I wanted to purchase 5 quality pieces per season, so quality over quantity. Last year I made no compulsive purchases!!

Since clearing my wardrobe and doing 5 quality items per season rule, I've decided to have a capsule wardrobe approach, at any given time I have 40 items in my closet this includes outerwear and shoes. I got tired of not having anything to wear despite having a closet stuffed full of items. My colour palette is black, tan, grey, cream, navy and pops of colour.

For 2014, I want to continue my capsule wardrobe it's liberating since I started, purchase the items on my NEED , dressing according to my real lifestyle and not going back to my old wardrobe lifestyle ,quality over quantity items, and shopping ethically.

This is such a great thread!!!

What I realized in 2013: I'm a fashion jeckle and hyde with two totally different styles.
Style one: urban uniform of mostly black accessorized with bags/shoes/jewelry.
Style two: tropical vacation!

Figuring this out was a major revelation and I decided that I'm OK with it. One entire row of my closet was all black everything and the other section looked like a palm leaf print explosion. The all black uniform is my comfort zone and the tropical vacation wardrobe (for travel and also used for summer in the city) is really fun. Also, I buy some of my black/uniform items in multiples. It makes it easy for me to throw something on that I know is flattering and works for me.

Another thing I did this year was to take items I love and have a professional pattern maker create custom made patterns of items that work well for me (with little tweaks and improvements). I purchased fabric and took the patterns and fabrics to a specialty tailor. This allows me to get exactly what I want.

In 2013 I made a few impulse buys, but not many. I love to shop on sale, but I won't buy something that isn't just right for me. I've passed on some amazing deals when I knew the item wasn't just right and that tailoring wouldn't help. My self restraint has really increased! I won't allow myself to buy poorly made items either, so I now totally avoid places like Express, Forever 21 (not that I ever shopped there much anyway).

I've also decided that if I find something I love, know will wear it for more than a year and it is still somewhat expensive (such as designer ready to wear), I will go ahead and get it.

My fashion resolutions for 2014:
1. Continue to clean out my closets and storage boxes full of things I don't/won't ever wear. I have limited space living in the city and I need to choose wisely and thin things out.
2. Work with the tailor to make more custom made items that I know I will wear over and over again.
3. Buy things in one of two categories: "uniform", will wear it in many ways, many times, and "amazing", designer items like Pucci kaftans and Chanel jackets that are still versatile, easy to wear and I can commit to for several years.
4. Continue to show restraint and unless something is essential try to wait for sale season but still be very choosey.
5. Grant myself permission to spend more money on quality clothing items. I love to shop at discount retailers and I enjoy the thrill of the hunt. Lots of times I come up empty handed. It's OK to spend more money on things that I know I will have for years as long as I pick cuts that work for me and styles that have classic elements.

I'm looking forward to continuing to fine tune my wardrobe in 2014. This thread has helped me thing about it and really put it in perspective!

This is such a great thread!!!

What I realized in 2013: I'm a fashion jeckle and hyde with two totally different styles.
Style one: urban uniform of mostly black accessorized with bags/shoes/jewelry.
Style two: tropical vacation!

Figuring this out was a major revelation and I decided that I'm OK with it. One entire row of my closet was all black everything and the other section looked like a palm leaf print explosion. The all black uniform is my comfort zone and the tropical vacation wardrobe (for travel and also used for summer in the city) is really fun. Also, I buy some of my black/uniform items in multiples. It makes it easy for me to throw something on that I know is flattering and works for me.

Another thing I did this year was to take items I love and have a professional pattern maker create custom made patterns of items that work well for me (with little tweaks and improvements). I purchased fabric and took the patterns and fabrics to a specialty tailor. This allows me to get exactly what I want.

In 2013 I made a few impulse buys, but not many. I love to shop on sale, but I won't buy something that isn't just right for me. I've passed on some amazing deals when I knew the item wasn't just right and that tailoring wouldn't help. My self restraint has really increased! I won't allow myself to buy poorly made items either, so I now totally avoid places like Express, Forever 21 (not that I ever shopped there much anyway).

I've also decided that if I find something I love, know will wear it for more than a year and it is still somewhat expensive (such as designer ready to wear), I will go ahead and get it.

My fashion resolutions for 2014:
1. Continue to clean out my closets and storage boxes full of things I don't/won't ever wear. I have limited space living in the city and I need to choose wisely and thin things out.
2. Work with the tailor to make more custom made items that I know I will wear over and over again.
3. Buy things in one of two categories: "uniform", will wear it in many ways, many times, and "amazing", designer items like Pucci kaftans and Chanel jackets that are still versatile, easy to wear and I can commit to for several years.
4. Continue to show restraint and unless something is essential try to wait for sale season but still be very choosey.
5. Grant myself permission to spend more money on quality clothing items. I love to shop at discount retailers and I enjoy the thrill of the hunt. Lots of times I come up empty handed. It's OK to spend more money on things that I know I will have for years as long as I pick cuts that work for me and styles that have classic elements.

I'm looking forward to continuing to fine tune my wardrobe in 2014. This thread has helped me thing about it and really put it in perspective!

Great response, I have a goal of getting 2 items on my wish list custom made as well as I cant find well made blazers.

I wanna be a size 10 so i can buy beautiful things... I'm tired of being overweight but cant control my eating habits :/ dropping from size 18... Is gonna suck
I have seen you in plenty of beautiful things in other threads! Having said that, I wish you luck in your weight loss. I lost 40 lbs after pregnancy and it did suck, but I kept it off.

I'm not sure what my style is, which is a BIG part of my problem, but I would say I tend to like clean and simple shapes. I want things with high quality fabrics, no synthetics allowed! I lean towards classic styles, but throw in vintage elements here and there. Casual elegance with a twist is probably where I am headed.

I did some purging in 2013, and I am happy with my progress but need to do more. I went back to work this past year and have been trying to rebuild my work wardrobe after years of neglect. I'm trying to focus on higher end accessories (I bought 3 designer pieces) to boost items I already have. My focus is going to be remaining true to what works for me, and not what looks cute on my coworkers.

Here are the resolutions:
1. Stop trying to make things "work". I am 5'10 and slim. Most people think that is a great body type to have, but it is really hard to find clothes sometimes, though it is getting better.
2. Quality, quality, quality. No more Old Navy jeans, because they are on a big sale. Hold out for Joe's or Hudson. My butt is worth it.:smile:
3.Trust my gut. I have wasted too much money going against my gut and listening to someone else. I WILL stop this!
4. Only buy things that make me "Ooh and ahh" uncontrollably. When I have done this, those pieces have been my favorite, longest lasting, and most complimented pieces.
5. Spend more money on individual items, and feel good about it.

I bought a pair of booties from Clarks but they came unstuck after 2 weeks so I took them back. I didn't replace them. I'm sticking to proper Italian and not high street for shoes.

:biggrin:

Really? Good to know that, though, I always found the quality pretty good relative to the cost. They should have replaced them for you for free - pretty sure.
Anyway - would love to expand my shoe horizons...What Italian shoes would you suggest I try, for running around after buses and things?

sale items that would only fill my imaginary lifestyle...

ha ha! I know what you mean. its a tough one that.:biggrin: I will be back with some more specific notes, but you know my goals. The usual thing. Looking divine, being comfortable and ethical shopping. (and by ethical I don't mean that I go around wearing purple tie dye kaftans and ecru cheesecloth! Just no unnecessary cruelty...)

Really? Good to know that, though, I always found the quality pretty good relative to the cost. They should have replaced them for you for free - pretty sure.
Anyway - would love to expand my shoe horizons...What Italian shoes would you suggest I try, for running around after buses and things?

Design style at Clarks was called Melody, simple and very comfortable. To be fair, Clarks CS was fine, but they had to firstly give me a refund and then reorder them in, leaving me shoeless for work for over a week. I also worried that the same might happen to the replacements.

Totally agree with you on you get what you pay for. I do believe that shoes from highstreet stores have actually declined in quality over recent years. Kurt Geiger/Carvela/Camper/Kate Kuba/Russell etc and Bromley were fine and then :blah: There seems very little middle-ground between very high heel to flats (except the usual ultra conservative mid-heel pump) or from highly fashionable (studs/fluro colour-block/extreme toe shape) to ultra safe.

My new shoes are 'classic' lace-up brogues from Gucci. Rich red-brown, ostrich versions of similar pair I bought in the Summer. I was going to buy them in plain black leather after the holidays but happily my DBF beat me to it for a Christmas pressie :yahoo: The fact they are a classic men's style is off-beat enough for me and I've had another brown crocodile pair from Bally for years so I know I'll get plenty of wear them. The Gucci's have a 'feminised' leaner, more elegant shape than the men's version, flattering with a skirt. As you probably know Churches have even more traditional brogues for women with a shorter, rounder vamp.

Italian brands I would recommend. Not highstreet prices but sometimes sale prices can be surprisingly similar

1. Gucci (great CS too, even replacing a worn out sole, so will literally be y e a r s of wear) Famous for sky scrapers and loafers but actually have huge range of styles. Size 0.5 down from normal.

2a. Prada not as comfortable for me as Gucci, and have to be tried on in store because their sizing is everywhere. Usually indestructible.

2b. Miu Miu. Same last as Prada and made in the same factories. Designs have been too fashion 'forward' lately.

3. Sergio Rossi. Actually make for Gucci and probably made on the same lasts. most styles a bit too ladylike for my taste but always a few gems

4. Salvatore Ferragamo. Say no more :P

6. Roger Vivier. Not exactly Italian but elegant even when doing practical

7. Balenciaga Made in Italy and also very probably made by the Sergio Rossi people but size 0.5 up not down)

8. Hermes. Surprising but true, Louises are classic brogues as soft as butter. Check out Jan sales at 'you know where' for the seasonal offerings. I think I will always have a pair of Land boots inspite of the horrendous price increases ;)

I also like the more austere and subdued aesthetic of Rick Owen, Gianni Barbarto, Marsell and Nude United and I could go on. These kind of shoes side-step high and mass fashion altogether.

Wow, I like this thread! I love New Year's Resolutions, so I hope you all don't mind me posting my two cents :biggrin:

As I mentioned above, I love New Year's Resolutions. Last year I made a resolution to lose 40 pounds in 2013. Well I managed to lose 38. And one of the big things that I was able to change style wise was the type of clothing I felt comfortable wearing. I started wearing shorter skirts (above the knee! Hello!), and more body concious clothing. Nothing skanky, just stuff that showed off my new figure more than anything I previously owned. Also, this may sound silly but I was FINALLY able to fit into regular knee high boots!!! It was a very exciting day in September when I tried on some knee high boots at Coach and they fit! I felt like crying because I had not fit into leather knee high boots in 10 years (maybe longer). Although my calves are still too big for the euro brand boots, perhaps that won't be the case in another year!

My wardrobe plan for 2014 is pretty simple. Stop buying stuff just to buy it! I have a ton of clothing since I basically did a wardrobe re-haul last year due to my weight loss. And I'm still on my weight loss journey, so spending thousands of dollars on clothes that (hopefully) won't fit in 12 months is a stupid stupid thing to do. Style wise I'm pretty happy, I've started to wear darker colors in the fall and winter, which I always used to avoid, but for some reason it just feels right now. I will stick with brighter fun colors for spring and winter.

1. Stay true to who I am as a person (no trends that I don't even like).
2. Alterations are key.
3. There's no need for duplicates.
4. Just because it's on sale, doesn't mean I need to own it.
5. Shop smart, not often.

Now that my wardrobe is mostly intact, I'll jump right to the resolutions:

1. Get to know Nordstrom Rack. Maybe the Saks and Neimens outlets too.

2. Continue to not buy unless an item is the perfect thing on my wish list, or I have gone home and thought about the item for at least a week.

3. Avoid buying clothing online. It rarely works out.

4. Continue to be inspired by my favorite fashion blogs.

5. Continue to look at clothes and accessories online to see what is available and trending. This is for education and to add to the wish list.

6. Continue to enjoy browsing at malls and not buying unplanned items.

7. Get to know stores that I don't normally go into. And try more pants on.

8. Remember to buy clothes that fit in with what other women in my community wear, to not stand out too much.

9. Continue to lose weight and do squats.

10. Organize my wardrobe on the computer, combine items into outfits, take mod pics.

Happy New Year Everyone!
Nordstrom Rack and Saks Off Fifth are my sanctuaries. Seriously, I just go there to relax sometimes. :lol: