Fashion lovers who have had weight loss surgery?

1. Hello! I'm a fashion addict, and am also fat. Yes, I use the word "fat" liberally lol. I had gastric bypass surgery on 2/15/06 and weighed 258 pounds, 5'2. I am now 210 pounds and am steadily losing! I'm part of online "support" communities, but none of them care about fashion AT ALL because many of them are 300, 400 pounds plus - and well, we all know how hard it can be to find fashionable plus-sized clothes.

So anyway, yeah - I just wanted to see if anyone here has undergone WLS? Liposuction, lap band, gastric bypass, and duodenal switch all count!

2. Congrats on your weight loss. I didn't have weight loss surgery, but I have lost 90 pounds since November. I love fashion. I must admit, though, sometimes finding flattering outfits in my size is like pulling teeth. For whatever reasons, a lot of clothing makers think that making plus-sized clothing means taking designs meant for skinny folks and stretching them. They don't take into account that a lot of us BBWs need extra room in the hips or bust. My weight is probably one of the primary reasons I became so accessories crazy. Most accessories fit no matter how much you weigh. ;)

3. Oh my GOD me too!! I became obsessed with bags because I felt they took attention off of me really. And then I got this complex, the bigger the bag the smaller I looked - so I began carrying LUGGAGE sized bags (literally, lol, I used an LV deauville).

Congrats on your weightloss! Being "fat" freaking sucks - I tried loving my body, I tried loving myself - but loving myself will never change how society views me. And people who say you shouldn't care what other people think of you are either skinny or in denial. Because you can't ignore the looks you get at a restaurant, or in a bathing suit on the beach.

What kind of fashion are you into? Designers? I'd love to chat on AIM if you have it!

4. I don't own a whole lot of designer clothes, just a few things by Ralph Lauren and BCBG Max Azria. I get a lot of stuff from Lane Bryant. I save my money for designer bags, scarves, and jewelry.

5. That's what I meant lol, what kind of accessories are you into?

6. Oops, sorry, I must have misunderstood. I am just now starting to get obsessed with LV. I bought my first LV piece (a wallet) in March. I really like Donna Karan, both her main collection and the DKNY line. I have owned bags from both and they've always held up really well. I don't really stick to any one brand. I just buy what I like.

7. awesome - I've been obsessed with LV for awhile now - but I've sold aloooootttt of my stuff. I currently own a little LV, a balenciaga bag, and a few different coach and burberry pieces. For jewelry I love (get ready for the cliche) Tiffany - but I'm starting to venture out. A girl on live journal has begun making funky/chic couture necklaces and was picked up by some australian company. I picked up one her necklaces (it was cheap, $45.00 shipped from australia!) the other day - and I cannot WAIT to wear it. I'm constantly looking to switch looks.

Where do you clothing shop? I've begun looking into Torrid, but all their shirts seem so short and the sleeves as well - I'm not looking to show off my plumpness, but I'm not looking to hide it either, you know? I just want clothes that fit right! Arg, it's so hard to be out of the skinny realm.

PM me :smile:

8. wow, how did u loose 90lbs without some type of surgery?

9. congrats on that weight loss!!!!!! I need to lose about 90 pounds myself and am trying to get into a pattern of behavior that will assist! Any advice???

Congratulations again, that is a huge accomplishment!

I wish I could find more designer plus sized clothing, I tend to stick with Salon Z at Saks, Ralph Lauren, and some Elizabeth - but it's hard finding things that don't look too old, or as you said - that weren't made for thinner folks and just stretched to a 'plus size'.

10. Actually, I just weighed myself this morning and I have lost 6 more pounds, so I have lost 96 pounds total. I have to update my ticker.
    I have been on Richard Simmons FoodMover Plan. It's not so much a diet as it is a lifestyle modification. It stresses eating a balanced amount of each food group, exercise, taking vitamins, and drinking plenty of water. It's very similar to Weight Watchers' Points program. You get a little wallet type thing with windows in it. Each window represents a certain amount of food in each food group (example: a half cup of pasta=one starch window). As you eat you close the windows representing what you ate. When all your windows are shut, you're done eating for the day.

11. Go you!!! I had tried lots of diets, they all worked - but I gaind the weight back :sad: You sound like you're on the right track!! I was simply fed up :hrmm:

12. oh wow, thats crazy awesome. I thought u were taking diet pills or something to help you. Its nice to know that alot of weight can be lost "the natural way". gives me some motivation even though i just want to loose 20lbs lol

13. OK, I'm going to admit it now, even though I am sure I may get backlash.
    I am having lipo on the 8th June. Little less than a month to go! Hips, knees, inner thighs, and love handles. I'm worried but after drastic diets constant working ot I realised I need this. It's not to get slim. It's to alter my shape as however slim I get i can't lose the hips.
    I'm going to work out like mad after the op though.

14. Stand proud girl! I plan on having tons of tucks and lifts after I finish losing my weight. I've already only lost 50 pounds and am noticing skin loose skin beginning to sag :sick:

15. Aw! Thanks!
    I have to admit, im crapping myself. But ive thought about it quite a bit. And I have realised that I cannot change my shape. To alter my shape I end up losing TOO much, and so my breats go, and my face looks ill, just to make my thighs smaller. Let me put it this way, I am a size small on top and large on the bottom.

Im scared of hospitals and everything that comes with it. I'm worried about the bruising and the swelling. I also hopw these will all go away in a month or so, as in July (the second week) I am going to be in a bikini with my new fiancee! I wanna look good, not blue!

I hate obsessing about my weight.