Fake Nails

acrylics are the worst things you can do to your nails. i got them down once and my nails were really damaged (from the sanding down the the glue they used). i had to wait until the entire nail grew out again for me to have normal nails!

Never had it done, but good to hear that, I've always been wary of these things.

Never had it done, but good to hear that, I've always been wary of these things.

Why only focus on the negative? Millions of women have their nails done every week without damage - look for a decent nail tech and you will love the results. Some people have a bad reaction to certain foods, hair products, beauty products, plastic surgery, medicines etc. etc. You would do and try nothing at all if you only concentrated on the few negatives.

If you have naturally nice nails, then sure, just manicure and look after them yourself, but lots of people need help to maintain nice nails. There are very few celebs that have natural nails, do you think they are all sporting horrible damage underneath those extensions?

^^ I completely agree with this statement. I just had fake nails applied for the first time in my life and I LOVE them! I've spent so much money on manicures, vitamins, nail polish, etc. and my nails unfortunately always peel.

From a friend I received a referral for a lady that did my nails and they are amazing (they're much shorter than most fake nails and they look really natural). It was fairly expensive, but definitely worth it! I used to be so self conscious of my nails and now I love the way they look.

I had gel for almost one year, and my nails were in quite a bad shape when I stopped. Funnily enough, after a regime of strenghteners, cuticle oils and TLC, my natural nails are so good that SAs and people on the tube ask me where I get my gel nails done :cool:

I think gel or acrylic enhancement shouldbe considered only when your natural nails are really weak or generally bad looking.

^^ I completely agree with this statement. I just had fake nails applied for the first time in my life and I LOVE them! I've spent so much money on manicures, vitamins, nail polish, etc. and my nails unfortunately always peel.

From a friend I received a referral for a lady that did my nails and they are amazing (they're much shorter than most fake nails and they look really natural). It was fairly expensive, but definitely worth it! I used to be so self conscious of my nails and now I love the way they look.

What kind of nails did you get done?

I had gel nails for almost 2 years and just took them off this week. I loved it! The only reason I stopped was that my nail tech was about 30 minutes the opposite direction of everywhere I normally go, so it was kind of a pain to get the gel fills done. I decided to just do my own for awhile.

I do have to admit that it was a somewhat unpleasant experience getting them filled too, since the tech was a man and not very sensitive to the pain factor (having never had this done on himself), but he was the best! My nails always came out beautifully and lasted till my next fill. I'd usually go 3-4 weeks between fills. And I got stopped all the time by people asking where I had my nails done.

My nails are weaker right now, but there's no discoloration at all. I would definitely consider starting up again later.

I have had acrylics for a long time (life long nail biter). When i last took mine off, my nails were in poor shape. I used Nailtiques for after acrylics and it really helped. Unfortunately, I lost my will power and bit all the nails off again :sad:

Just a lil ad for nailtiques ;)

Crikey, I am picking up on a really old thread here, but here is my dilemma; I have been having gel nails done for about 6 years now perhaps even longer...coincidence or not I became anemic last year due to a fibroid so have been on iron ever since..after last autumn I had really bad itching around my fingers, which lasted a day and then of course I thought nothing of it just recently my nails have started to discolor I spoke to my beautician this morning whose advice together with mine was to stop having the gel probably due to a allergic reaction, I have read this else where on the web of people having had their nails done for years and then all of a sudden this, has anyone else been through this? :huh:

catwoman 66,

It is well documented that if product makes contact with your skin repeatedly, you can, indeed, become allergic. Nail technicians become allergic to the very product they apply. Crazy, right?

Also, don't under estimate what your body is currently going through either. The slightest change in your health can create allergic reactions to product as well.

whats wrong with fake nails?

ive worn them for a few years now......and love them

I don't think there's anything wrong with fake nails...so long as you're going to a decent nail tech who does everything properly. But that's the trouble right there, there's so many nail techs that don't do a good job, they just butcher your nails. Kind of like mine.:P

I don't think there's anything wrong with fake nails...so long as you're going to a decent nail tech who does everything properly. But that's the trouble right there, there's so many nail techs that don't do a good job, they just butcher your nails. Kind of like mine.:P
the good thing is that im married to my nail tech.....and she happens to do a very good job