Fake lifestyle? Interesting conversation...

1. I was in a very upscale boutique recently and I heard two women talking about people who carry replicas. One said something to the effect "people who carry authentic bags and cannot afford the lifestyle to go with it are just as fake as those who carry replicas".
    The other woman replied with " I know what you mean, if someone does not have the lifestyle to support the bag, it`s all just a big fake show. She went on to say, (a womans name), "can afford more than 90% of most people and will carry a replica because no one would think it was fake anyway".

That was all I heard. What do you think??

2. What I think is that the two ladies in the boutique are stupid to have nothing else to do than talk about other people carrying fakes while in an upscale boutique! :p

Seriously though, their theory is flawed because they are assuming that women who carry authentic bags are attempting to portray a luxurious lifestyle. Most aren't and simply enjoy nice handbags.

3. That's interesting........ I think that the way this theory got started is that people who buy fake bags want something that looks similar to something expensive yet doesn't have the price tag (and quality!!!). So they are attempting to portray that "I have the money to afford something expensive" even though in reality they don't.

I think people who go to extremes to afford something expensive (Ex: Skimping out on food or meals, not paying rent, etc.) are so concerned about "keeping up apperances" that it is in fact a big fake show.

But then there are people that while not rich, can afford to buy something nice every now and then if they save in other areas where something is not crucial (ex: fancy dinners, luxury cars, etc.). IMO those people aren't putting on a show because while they enjoy nice things, they aren't shoving more important stuff aside just to own a designer bag.

4. That's preposterous! To say that if a person doesn't have the lifestyle to "support" the bag that it is a show is ridiculous. So, then, I would have to have a luxury home, luxury car and designer clothes to go with my designer bag otherwise I am a faker? Then I suppose I shouldn't be on a computer, either, unless I am an expert and a programmer?

Of course it is a stupid decision not to pay rent/mortgage or not eat to afford a bag, but to say that only the very wealthy are allowed any sort of luxuries is such an elitist attitude as to make THEM the fakers and pretenders.

5. I think that some ppl just think too hard and think only of their perspectives, on to others....

I think most ppl care more about style and what they want at the time rather than what they are portraying to other ppl b/c of their outfit, bag, hair...whatever....

Most ppl carry fakes b/c it makes sense to their needs, and not to impress......most ppl who love certain brand bags are the same...it makes sense for their needs...

6. Ladies, ladies. I earn very little. You would be shocked at how little I earn. But let's not get into that...
    I save my money for handbags. I wear Gap jeans...nice shoes...and have a fabulous handbag. I drive a lovely Toyota. I live nicely. Don't eat out often. But I have a lovely handbag. I'm not trying to pretend to be anything other than I am or portray a lifestyle that I don't have. I have other wealthy friends who buy cheap makeup and would never dream of buying, for instance, a Chanel lipstick. Everyone has areas where they put their foot down, or won't spend. And everyone has areas where they spend.
    Don't waste your precious time thinking about why people use real bags, or fake bags. Keep your eyes on your bag and enjoy it. All the rest is...their business.

7. i think those two ladies at the boutique had too much time on their hands. even though sometimes i can't understand why would people spend 2000 bucks on a bag while earnin $7 per hr working at a crappy job. (yes i have friends like that!) but then there are people who drive some expansive european car but can barely afford gas. people make sacrifices for the pleasure they seek, it could be pretty much anything. when it's impossible to afford everything luxious, i guess some people just pick one and sacrifice others?:confused1:

8. What the heck does "support the lifestyle" mean?!?

9. While I do agree that people who buy fake handbags are doing so to give off a certain appearance (if you buy a bag knowing it's fake, the only reason to carry it is to make everyone else think it's real - why else would you buy a fake bag??), I don't agree that anyone who buys an expensive handbag needs to live an extravagant lifestyle. That's like saying that ALL of you clothes, accessories, and other belongings need to be within a certain amount of your earnings and that's just ridiculous! What, rich people can't shop at the Gap, H&M and/or the Dollar Store? And people w/o a six-figure income need to stay out of stores like NM, Saks, and Barneys??

They're basically discriminating in a "politically correct" way!

10. SAME HERE.

I don't work now, so don't earn any money (I'm a full time Mum and Housewife), but I used to buy my handbags with part of my yearly bonus.

Now, I buy my bags either with eBay proceeds or with some of my husband's yearly bonus.

We do not have the luxury lifestyle, but every year my husband buys a new watch and I buy a handbag - whats the problem with that.

I think that their opinions just boil down to jealously again in that they think they should be the only ones who carry "real" bags and are jealous that other people who they think are not in their class should have them! Jealously is behind pretty much every calous comment people make.

11. Pssh. If you can afford it, then who cares?

Unless you can't afford to eat or have to seriously limit your lifesetyle, and have a bag that costs thousands...

12. Had to add....

How can someone guess about ones lifestyle based on handbags anyway.....these are not what defines wealth or a person of wealth....

Maybe alot of property or significant things of this nature but...handbags??? This has always perplexed me....

13. well said---if I can't afford to pay cash for a high-end purse, that means I can't afford it. I do use my cc to buy expensive purses because it's easier for me to deal with issues--returns/exchanges. I know few people that carries 2k-up purses and are sinking in debt--to me that's a show. Working hard, being frugal, saving,etc. to afford luxuries in life is better than shop 'til one drops just to show off.

That's interesting........ I think that the way this theory got started is that people who buy fake bags want something that looks similar to something expensive yet doesn't have the price tag (and quality!!!). So they are attempting to portray that "I have the money to afford something expensive" even though in reality they don't.

I think people who go to extremes to afford something expensive (Ex: Skimping out on food or meals, not paying rent, etc.) are so concerned about "keeping up apperances" that it is in fact a big fake show.

But then there are people that while not rich, can afford to buy something nice every now and then if they save in other areas where something is not crucial (ex: fancy dinners, luxury cars, etc.). IMO those people aren't putting on a show because while they enjoy nice things, they aren't shoving more important stuff aside just to own a designer bag.

14. I suppose if those women suddenly had a turn of misfortune they would immediately cease to carry their expensive bags. (yeah right) The thing they are obviously not understanding is that having money is one thing, having class is another... Having both is something they will never acheive at that rate. Being "fake" lies in ones inability to be true to oneself... I guess those women are just being true to themselves- glad I don't know them.

I just have to add that the wealthy (or anyone really) who carry fake bags thinking that nobody would ever notice are not fooling anyone but themselves. Plus the fact that they are so cheap that they feel they are above concerns like sweatshops and intellectual property theft... I suppose it's also funny to them that people have died using counterfit toothpaste. I would never carry a fake because I believe in paying for the real thing. It has nothing to do with appearances, and everything to do with the fact that I couldn't live with myself knowing I was supporting an illegal industry.

15. I think our obsession with nice bags have nothing to do with our socio-economic status, it's a hobby like a lot of others. I bet if we take a poll here as to household income, it would be a very wide range. Some of us can afford to buy whatever we want and some of us have to save or buy from smaller designers. But for most of us it's about the quality and design. I have friends who make exactly what I do and have a similar lifestyle, who thinks I'm insane to pay what I do for bags, but they laugh it off as my little hobby. Same as me thinking their game boxes, fancy tv's, stereos, cars, whatever is crazy.