Fake/inspired bags-would you buy?

Luna said:
This isn't true. the only thing that a company can copyright or trademark is their logo. You can't put a patent on a design unless it is very unique and doesn't exist already... (ie: the scrunchy back in the 90's)

If you could copyright a design(fashion-wise...ie. a dress design) there would be so many lawsuits in the fashion world.

There are many lawsuits in the fashion world:shame:

Luna said:
This isn't true. the only thing that a company can copyright or trademark is their logo. You can't put a patent on a design unless it is very unique and doesn't exist already... (ie: the scrunchy back in the 90's)

If you could copyright a design(fashion-wise...ie. a dress design) there would be so many lawsuits in the fashion world.

At least in France, I know designers register their work with photos and details of their designs, and they are protected.

i dont think fakes are great, but inspired are okay.
I was in a leather store at a mall in Ottawa and they had a really cute bag that looked like the chloe paddy.. it was really cute.. nice leather and only like $100 or $150 or so

alexandrainparis said:
At least in France, I know designers register their work with photos and details of their designs, and they are protected.

Hm. Maybe it's a France thing. I was told differently ... but only U.S.

Luna said:

Luna is correct. In general, in the US, one cannot trademark or copyright the shape or overall design of a garment or accessory. Logos and other similar items (such as unique hardware shapes) can be protected.

i did own one paddington(fake) that i brought from ebay, its now sitting in my closet...still don't know why i brought that in the first place? just totally waste of money...

Luna said:

I agree with you luna, that is what I was told in fashion school. Also the same goes for clothing, you can't copyright the design, thats why there are so many copies from ready to wear on down.

bb10lue said:
i did own one paddington(fake) that i brought from ebay, its now sitting in my closet...still don't know why i brought that in the first place? just totally waste of money...

Been there, done that too! What to do with it is the question.....it can't be sold on and it can't be carried. A waste of money. Can i give it to charity? I dunno...but it cost me £92 so i wouldn't want to just throw it away....:huh:

parfaitamour said:
The bag is super-soft, I`ll post a picture to show the lining.
It cost $120 plus shipping, and took two weeks to be made.

DSC09490.jpg

wow, fab price for such a rich looking and beautiful bag...

I was intrigued by Allison's reply about inspired bags being legal, so I googled this: designer inspired handbag is it legal :graucho: (LOL, I actually typed the whole thing). I clicked on the first link, which was a google answer. There I confirmed Allison's words. In fact, saying "Gucci inspired" for example, will keep one out of trouble. There was an example on some US laws, and some example cases (which I was too lazy to check), but anyway, that's the gist of it.

But personally, I would never buy an inspired bag or fake. I can still smell the plastic on the fake retro I bought I suddenly feel nauseated :sick: With inspired bags, although it is legal, doesnt change my perception that those inspired bags were trying to portray certain brands (although the bags themselves dont carry the labels). Plus, they cheated by copying the design (often from a to z) from someone else. I will not comment on how anyone else spend their money, if one wants to buy inspired bags, fine by me, I personally wouldnt.

I would not buy a bag that was "posing" as something it was not.

But if it was truly its own "variation" on another designers theme -- perhaps an innovative shape or style, like the b-bag, or muse -- then it might be ok.

Inspired, yes if the quality is good...Fake, no.
I did own a fake many many years ago. i dunno what i was thinking when i bought it. Used it once and was too ashamed to use it. Now that i feel and smell the quality of the real thing, i ain't going to turn back.