Fabulous Chilean Fish Soup!

1. I love quick easy dinners as much as the next person. But there's a rustic part of me that really enjoys the ritual of making soups from scratch :tup:. Sure it takes time but the results are so worth it (and quick leftovers the next few nights!!)

This is a wonderful fish soup recipe from "The South American Table" by Maria Baez Kijac. And there are many flavors and spices in this soup so it's honestly not too "fishy", HTH.

Caldillo de Congrio a la Neruda (Neruda's fish soup)
    serves 6 - 8

- 2 lbs Chilean congrio fillets (1 1/2 - 2" thick) or other firm, white-fleshed fish such as Chilean sea bass, red snapper or halibut.
    - juice of 1 lemon
    - salt and freshly ground black pepper
    - 2 T olive oil
    - 2 medium sized onions, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
    - 1 tsp sweet paprika
    - 3 cloves garlic mashed into a paste with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    - 2 small carrots, thinly sliced on the diagonal (I omitted these as I don't care for cooked carrots)
    - 1 4 oz jar pimento strips, drained
    - 1 T chicken bouillon granules
    - 1 bay leaf
    - 1 pinch of sugar
    - 1 tsp dried marjoram
    - 1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce or cayenne pepper
    - 1 16 oz can pear-shaped tomatoes, drained and chopped (I just got a standard 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes and drained)
    - 1 C dry white wine or dry sherry
    - 3 C water
    - 1 C milk
    - 6 medium-sized all purpose potatoes, peeled, quartered, cooked in water to cover until tender, and drained (I used 4 large ones)
    - 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
    - 1/2 C whipping cream (optional)
    - 1/4 C minced fresh parsley, for garnish
    - 1/4 C finely chopped scallions (white part + 1 inch of the green) for garnish

1. Cut fish fillets inot 2 to 3" pieces. sprinkle with lemon juice, salt and pepper, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed.

2. Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or large casserole over low heat. Add the onions and paprika, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 10 minutes. Do not let the onions brown. Stir in the garlic paste, carrots, pimentos, bouillon, bay leaf, sugar, marjoram, and hot pepper sauce and cook, stirring constantly, for a couple of minutes. Add the tomatoes, wine and water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Discard the bay leaf. This soup base can be made ahead up to this point. Let cool, cover and refrigerate until needed.

3. To finish, bring the soup to a boil over medium heat and add milk, fish and potatoes. Cover and simmer until the fish is cooked through, about 8 minutes. Just before serving, add the shrimp and cook until they turn pink and begin to curl, about 1 minute. Add the cream if using and heat thorugh.

Taste for salt, black pepper and sugar.

4. ENJOY!! Serve in soup plates, sprinkled with the parsley and scallions.

OLE!! :tup:

2. This sounds awesome.

What are pimento strips?

Also, have you tried this with fish other than Sea Bass? I love Chilean Sea Bass, but it's so expensive I would hate to use it for a soup...

My favorite Chilean Sea Bass is one with Black Bean, Shallot and Ginger sauce... MMMMM
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_13990,00.html?rsrc=search
    I just make the sauce, pour it over seared or steamed Sea Bass. Skip the veggies OR steam them on the side.
    Yum!

3. Hi bonniec!

yeah I admittedly just got some sole at the grocery store. It was late and a lot of items were gone and ITA with you that using super speciality seafood items such as this are possibly lost in a soup vs prepared to be served on their own!

Pimento strips? Well this was a hard one to find at the grocery store. I started in the (jarred) olive section as lots of olives have pimentos stuffed in them, but I found pimentos actually in the soup section of all places. They came in tiny 2 oz jars and I just drained them in a small colander. I do recommend using them for this soup as they do add an extra zing along with all the other spices.

I'll check out your recipe too, sounds fabulous!

4. That sounds soo yummy..I love fish!