Extra charges if I order from outside the US?

1. Does anyone know if I should expect to pay extra if I order from out of the US? I want to buy a pair of shoes from mytheresa.com but I don't want to pay double after surprise fees/charges/taxes. It says on the website that VAT is included. I don't really even know who VAT applies to. Is it the only tax I would pay? I just want to know the real price of the shoe. They are about $569 dollars including VAT. Shipping looks like it's about $50!! :wtf: Anything else I should know?
  2. From Wikipedia :

"Value added tax (VAT), or goods and services tax (GST), is tax on exchanges. It is levied on the added value that results from each exchange. It differs from a sales tax because a sales tax is levied on the total value of the exchange. For this reason, a VAT is neutral with respect to the number of passages that there are between the producer and the final consumer. A VAT is an indirect tax, in that the tax is collected from someone other than the person who actually bears the cost of the tax (namely the seller rather than the consumer). To avoid double taxation on final consumption, exports (which by definition, are consumed abroad) are usually not subject to VAT and VAT charged under such circumstances is usually refundable."

You can also contact mytheresa.com and ask them what the total cost should be, including shipping, taxes, etc. to your country.
  3. Thanks blackbird. I contacted mytheresa and they said any additional charges would be collected by the courier, DHL and they suggested I contact customs to find out what exactly the additional $ would be. Yeah right, I'm going to do that over a pair of shoes. :rolleyes:
  4. That's odd. Would that then be like a COD? DHL shoes up and hands you your shoes and a bill? You'd think that mytheresa would know as I'm sure they do plenty of business with US customers.

I've bought on eBay from China before, with the items marked as merchandise and haven't had to pay anything extra. They weren't shipped by DHL though.

I'll ask my cousin, who works for the USPS corporate office, and see if she knows anything about that.