Expensive Shower Gels vs. Drugstore Ones

I used to always use Bath and Body Works shower gel or Victoria Secrects gel then I was visting my Grandmother and I used her Soft Soap ( I think that is the name) in some Vanilla scent and I really liked it . Now that is all I use - I still use the other brands for my lotion but for shower gel I use the Softsoap

I am a big fan of Philosophy, bath & body works, and victoria secret lotions and shower gels. I dont buy ANY beauty products from the drug store.

lol, very interesting. I use $3 soap and I feel great. lmao

most of the time the expensive packaging is just used to get the customer to buy the product. you would probably get the same benefits if not better.

I have had a ton of problems with drugstore shower gels (bad reactions to perfumes, itchy skin, bumps, etc), but I've found one at Trader Joes that is about 5-bucks, lasts a month, and it wonderful! It's a lavender something or other (sorry, can't remember) and it's great.

They also have great sugar scrubs, and a mango shaving cream that is heavenly! All pretty cheap and made without a bunch of chemicals.

I just got the Lavender showere gel from TJs. I can't wait to try it. I will have to look for their mango stuff next time I am there.

I agree, I can't justify spending a lot on a shower gel that I will just rinse right off. I don't get the super-cheap ones, but for drugstore, I like Dove and Olay. I also like Bath and Body works that you can get on sale for the same price as at drugstores. Marshall's and TJ Maxx also carry some nicer brands for a lesser price, but I have never noticed a difference in my skin when I used less expensive or more expensive brands (only a difference in scent).

I like B and BW alot better than some expensive ones. Let me past Philosophys 20 dollar ingredients so you can see how ridiculous it is, that you are just paying for the name: Water (Aqua), TEA Lauryl Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glycol Stearate, Sodium Chloride, TEA-PEG-3 Cocamide Sulfate, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Glycerin, PEG-150 Distearate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Polyquaternium-7, Fragrance, Citric Acid, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone.

A bunch of chemicals. Vitamin E and glycerine is pretty much in all body washes, regardless. If you look at B and BW ingredients, it's a lot higher quality. Even drugstore brands like Olay are better quality. I'd go as far to say even suave is lol

I've also used both cheap and expensive brands... and they work all the same to me. I do see how more expensive shower gels would benefit ladies with sensitive skin (higher quality ingredients, natural scents, etc.). But I have a pretty normal body skin, so most anything works! I'm a fan of Dove's shower gel and scented products from Bath and Body Works.

many of the less expensive brands test on animals... i would much rather pay a bit more and get cruelty-free products. that being said, the body shop has some great shower gels, for a fair price (they last forever). Lush is a bit more expensive, but I love their stuff!

I'm a big fan of the Body Shop shower gels because of the fruity scents and the fact that they don't break me out (I have perfume allergies and can't use Philosophy or a lot of B & BW). I also use Kiehl's because the shower gels are very gentle and have nice scents. I would honestly buy cheaper shower gels if I could find ones that didn't irritate my skin, but I'm not willing to take the chance that I do get a reaction. It's true, soap is on your skin for such a limited amount of time that if you don't need to get fancy brands unless you want to.

I like the Body Shop stuff too - they have a great outlook on life and a great vision for their company. Their Community Trade program is really cool as well.
I've noticed I get more bang for my buck from them compared to other 'brand' or 'boutique' names because their shower gels are more concentrated and last forever...you barely need a dollop and you get tons of lather and a great, natural smell. They use real fruit oils and pretty decent ingredients...

Yeah when I was a teen I would use store bought shower gels, but as I got older I stuck with VS and BABW. I feel the difference in the lather and scent. ANd I have tons that come with perfume sets and gifts. Pretty much costs the same too, so why not!

^ I agree :yes:

Philosophy smells GREAT, but you're pretty much paying for the scent. The difference in quality isn't that noticeable IMO...

I've been using Dove cream oil body wash and it's fantastic for my dry skin! And I got a 2-pack of it at Costco for a fraction of what one bottle of Philosophy would have cost! :tup:

I totally agree with this. Philosophy's shower gels smell heavenly but once you step out of the shower, the fragrance is GONE. Plus, I didn't like how they worked as a shampoo.

The dove cream oil wash is fantastic for someone like me with dry skin year round. Plus it's reasonably priced.

I use Body Shop and Bath and Body Works especially if I shower before going out. If want to get cozy and soft and still smell good, I really like Dove Calming Night. For some reason, it makes me feel safe and of course it is super moisturizing. Plus if you register at their website, they send you free samples and coupons all the time. Can't beat that, right?