Exercise Avoidance (AKA Motivation Lacking)

1. Ok... Please know that I absolutely love this forum. I've been pushing myself really hard for the past couple of weeks. Pilates 5-6x week, cardio 3x week, Walking 1+ hour every day. Tomorrow morning I have yoga, on Sunday I have spinning...

Anyways, I'm supposed to do my pilates today because I took yesterday off... and I can't get off my ass so to speak. In fact, just thinking about is making my butt hurt! I am not sore from my workouts, I still feel good when I do them, but I am at a complete loss for motivation right now.

So, what do you do when you've lost your motivation? How do you determine whether it's your body saying "Time Out" or you're just effectively being lazy? What do you tell yourself to keep going?
  2. Yes, it could be your body's way of saying time out. Sounds like you do a lot of exercise during the week. Maybe you need to adjust your fitness regime so that you don't feel so overwhelmed. (cardio 3 times a week, pilates 3times a week etc.) You are definitely NOT being lazy!

The only thing that I have found that works for me, is to take a day off and rest. Then get back into it the next day no matter what.

I just remembered one thing: my best way to motivate myself is to think of how good I feel about myself AFTER i work out and how gross I feel when I have not worked out enough- that usually gets me off my butt!

OF course, one more thing I just thought of (and my DH is sleeping on the couch so I have nothing but time LOL) I saw this on Oprah: put your workout clothes on because you will feel silly sitting on a couch watching tv wearing a sports bra and tennies!
  3. Thanks, Jag. You're so sweet! 8 months ago I was almost completely immobile. Well, mobile with crutches only. Anyways, that threw my workouts back for quite a while and with physical therapy, etc.. I was able to get some of it back. I used to be a competitive athlete and really miss doing all the things I used to do and am trying to get back to that shape. Once I was able to walk again, I started with that, built that up, then used pilates to build flexibility, then the cardio came... My physical therapist is still amazed that I can do anything at all because technically, I shouldn't be able to, and calls me his most stubborn patient ever.

So the entire build up took about 6 months, but right now, I'm so zapped for motivation!! But I don't want to fall off the wagon either. :push:
  4. OMG! But look how far you have come! That is AMAZING!!!! IT is just important to know when to cut yourself some slack so you don't burn out! Please, if you are exhausted, then listen to your body, and just take a day off.
  5. i just do it. people don't succeed based on always doing what they feel like doing. they succeed because they just know they have to do it. so get to it, and once u get into the flow of things, u feel better. i tend to never want to work out, but then i pop in the video for pilates and start doing it, and the time flies. or i go to the track dreading running a mile, and i end up doing two. i know you can do it. just force yourself :smile: put it down on ur day's to do list and make sure u check it off!
  6. When I feel that way, it's usually a sign that it's time for me to take a break. I used to feel guilty about taking a few days off of working out, but then I realized that my body was trying to tell me something. I took an entire week off, and I came back feeling so recharged and energized, it was great! There is nothing wrong with resting - your body needs it. It will help you perform better when you do go back to the gym.

I consider a rest day a total rest day. I don't do anything that's considered cardiovascular. No light, easy walks, or light yoga, etc. Honestly, my rest days consist of lying around the house, sleeping, running errands and eating :p

If you're feeling unmotivated, I say take 2 to 3 days off in a row, and see how you feel. If you're itching to get back to the gym after that, great :biggrin: If you're still feeling "eh" about working out, maybe you can look into changing your routine up a bit and trying something new :biggrin: