Exercise and appetite

1. I've noticed lately that cardio tends to suppress my appetite, and that weight training makes me hungry! Not that it would stop me from doing weight training. But I wonder why? Anyone notice exercise effects on their hunger?

2. Yes. When I do high intensity interval training (HIIT) cardio, such as sprints on the treadmill, I am starving all day. When I do steady state (SS) cardio, I'm not as hungry. Weight training also boosts my appetite, especially when I hit the weights hard. I'm not 100 percent sure if this is accurate, but I think it has to do with the fact that weight training and intense workouts such as sprinting increases your metabolism. You may experience a temporary "spike" in your metabolism after a good weight training session, and then it wears off. However, a steady weight training routine that builds muscle will increase your metabolism over time.

3. Oh I notice the exact same thing!

4. yes and ppl say I'm a weirdo!!

5. Same here. HIIT and intense circuit training with free weights (I do the exercises with minimal rest time and I jump rope every 10 minutes or so) makes me hungry and I crave frequent meals throughout the day.

Steady cardio doesn't make me as hungry, sometimes it actually makes me feel less hungry.

I started doing HIIT about 3-4 weeks ago and I am definitely getting leaner (and more fit for sports).

I try to eat complex carbs with every meal, not always successfully because I like my white calrose and basmati rice and baguettes. But I don't really worry about it.

6. Hmmm, maybe my interval training is not high intensity enough since my appetite is usually suppressed after I run!

I've been running at 6.0-6.2 for 15 minutes then alternating 3.5 with 7.0-7.3 (2-4 min then 3.5 until I feel my heartrate slow) - intervals for about 15 more minutes. WDYT?

7. HIIT consists of short bursts at a high speed for 30 to 60 seconds, a recovery period of 30 to 60 seconds and repeat.

For example, my HIIT workouts look like this:

3 minute warmup on treadmill at 6.0 mph, steady run
    60 seconds at 8.5 mph sprint; sometimes I alternate between 8.5 and 9.0 mph
    60 seconds recovery at 5.5 mph jog
    Repeat for 20 minutes total
    5 minute cooldown easy jog at 5.5 mph
    2 minute cooldown walk at 3.5 mph

30 minutes total for workout.

With HIIT, because you want to make it intense, it's best to start out with 10-15 minutes of intervals, then progress up to about 20 minutes. Any more than that, and it's extremely taxing on your body.

HTH!

8. WHen I work out I totally forget to eat and I don't really get hungry. I mostly get hungry only if I SEE the food or I am bored.

Christina what you posted is a really good exercise to boost stamina and also loose weight due to the after burn. ;)

9. Si, senorita :yes: I remember when I first started doing HIIT, after hitting a plateau in my weight loss. Those last few pounds came right off. It also helped with my stamina for longer runs.

10. For HIIT, sometimes on the elliptical, I'll use like, Intensity Level 12 and then I'll only be going at a speed of about 112/minute. I know it's not like jogging, but it's pretty difficult to step up at after speeds -- would that count as HIIT? My heart rate goes up really fast and then recovers and then goes up again!

11. Do you mean that you're on intensity level 12, doing about 112 rotations per minute? I have done HIIT on the elliptical that way before. My high intensity periods run for 60 seconds, I bump up the resistance to 14-15 and try to go all out at a tough resistance. I bring it back down to level 7-8 and recover for 60 seconds and repeat. So yes, as long as you are raising your heart rate for a short period of time, then recover and repeat, IMO that is a form of HIIT.

On the elliptical you can also do a resistance of 9-10 or so and sprint for 60 seconds, maybe about 180-190 rotations per minute, go down to about a 5-6 and recover, and repeat. Provides some variety to a tough workout :yes:

12. I totally did that as well! It worked out perfectly, but it's very demanding if you're on a rigid diet. I had to stop after a while I was getting too dizzy and felt like sleeping all the time (lets just say it wasen't due to lack of water), so I figured out it wasen't necessary anymore. It's the fastest working way to get out of a plateau IMO. And it's something that professional athletes use to boost their stamina. But you'll naver see it advertized on shop TV and similar because it makes you look like a tomato and it's not supposed to look elegant while you do it. And it does take a lot of effort. ^_^

In elliptical work I've also done HIIT but if you're raising resistance you're not only increasing your heart rate due to moving faster but also BUILDING MUSCLES as it gets heavier making it little different from sprinting without increased resistance. Kind of like lifting weights with your feet while running faster, so the exercise will build muscle = gain weight in addition tohelping you loose weight = loose fat, making the scale show maybe less weight loss than you've actually achieved in fat loss. Did this make sense?

13. Cristina, thank you! Lol, I was so proud of myself for getting up to 7.5 today! I'm definitely going to play around with this.

Liberte, that's a good point about building muscles. I might try the elliptical for some variety (haven't done it for a while).

14. I'm going to pay more attention to my hunger - thanks for bringing this to my attention!