Ever wonder what they're really saying?

Sternchen

O.G.
May 16, 2006
I got a pedicure yesterday, and the place that I went was run by a Russian family. The ladies who did my mom and mine's (I could never figure out the correct English for this, lol) feet didn't speak much German - so they spoke to eachother in Russian and kept laughing/snickering.

If you have someone of another nationality doing yoru feet/hands, do you ever wonder what they're saying??

I'm always paranoid that they're syaing something like "LOOK AT HER UGLY FEET!!!" (I think I have nice feet! :sad: ) or like they said in one of The Nanny episodes "I'm going to give her some fungus!" :smile:

My manicure shop is staffed and owned by Asian women. I don't know the languages in Asia so I'm not sure if they are speaking Japanese, Korean, one of the Chinese dialects or something else. And I feel the exact same way you do!! "What are these women saying about me???" The truth is they are probably just gossiping about other women, not the ones in their shops! ;)

Brings me to an aside: I totally respect that the majority of Asian immigrants make an effort to learn English when they come to the US to make their homes, but does it bother anyone else when you are talking to your manicurist and you are both looking at each other wondering what the other is saying (even though you are both speaking English)? :wondering

I always think the same thing...Mine always speaks in Chinese & I'm wondering what they are talking about..b/c they do always laugh after everything they say. Maybe they are cracking jokes about my feet, but who really knows besides someone who speaks chinese..LOL!

I don't mean to be rude, but these women have lives of their own. They're probably discussing far more personal and exciting topics than your feet. Foreigners or not, they're just like you and me: not malicious enough to talk about someone right in front of their face, even if its in a foreign language.

Prada Psycho said:
! ;)
Brings me to an aside: I totally respect that the majority of Asian immigrants make an effort to learn English when they come to the US to make their homes, but does it bother anyone else when you are talking to your manicurist and you are both looking at each other wondering what the other is saying (even though you are both speaking English)? :wondering

God forbid they choose to speak their own language inside their own business.

If you have a problem with people who exercise their right to speak whatever language they please, you should patronize American-owned businesses exclusively.

IntlSet said:
God forbid they choose to speak their own language inside their own business.

If you have a problem with people who exercise their right to speak whatever language they please, you should patronize American-owned businesses exclusively.
Sheesh! PMSing, IntlSet? :wtf:

I WAS KIDDING, MAKING A JOKE!!! :shocked:

Prada Psycho said:
Sheesh! PMSing, IntlSet? :wtf:

I WAS KIDDING, MAKING A JOKE!!! :shocked:

It sure didn't sound like it! If that's your opinion, fine: stick by it. And sorry, I misquoted in my other post: I wasn't referring to that portion specifically.

I speak four languages fluently and travel frequently. The worst I've ever overheard is a couple debating what race I might be (for whatever odd reason). Oh, and sometimes the French speak really, really, really, really fast to tease you!

It strikes me as pretty self-centered to assume that perfect strangers are talking about you. After all, how often do you talk about other people simply because you know they wouldn't understand? Not frequently, I'd bet.

IntlSet said:
It sure didn't sound like it! If that's your opinion, fine: stick by it.
Obviously you fail to see the humor in those situations: two people trying desperately to understand each other when neither is fluent in the other's native language.

Sorry if my humor is too subtle. So shoot me! :cutesy:

Prada Psycho said:
Obviously you fail to see the humor in those situations: two people trying desperately to understand each other when neither is fluent in the other's native language.

Sorry if my humor is too subtle. So shoot me! :cutesy:

I misquoted: I didn't mean to refer to that portion of your post particularly, or even you. I think the whole thread in general is off color.

But seriously, Prada Psycho, put your mind at ease! Ain't nobody talkin' smack. They're probably chit-chatting about boyfriends!

IntlSet said:
I misquoted: I didn't mean to refer to that portion of your post particularly, or even you. I think the whole thread in general is off color.

But seriously, Prada Psycho, put your mind at ease! Ain't nobody talkin' smack. They're probably chit-chatting about boyfriends!
No prob. I never seriously think that people speaking [in something other than English] are talking about me anyway, unless they are admiring my handbag, of course!:nuts:

Well, I for one do think it's rude in general. They should be trying to make their customers comfortable, not uncomfortable by speaking a language they (the customers) don't understand.

I've been to several nail places and I won't go back if the women (and even sometimes men) there can't understand me. It's a business thing really. If you can't understand or communicate with your customers how do you expect to stay in business?

One of my very favorite restaurants is owned by a Vietnamese family...they are wonderful! And I respect them so much. The husband speaks the most English and told me about coming from NORTH Vietnam and how the "communists bad" (his words) and would take people behind their homes and shoot them. I'm in awe of their story and their hard work. But it is SOOOO hard to understand them most of the time. I can't ever order anything without an ingredient because they don't get it. Especially his wife. She can hardly speak a lick of English. Luckily, I can just say a number to order or I'd be in big trouble and couldn't go there. But I do just adore them in general.

I can see both sides.....it is their right to speak their native language inside their place of business. However, it is rude (in american culture) to speak in front of customers in a way that makes many of them feel uncomfortable.

This reminded me of that Seinfeld episode where Elaine was paranoid that they were talking about her so she brought George's father to her nail place and it all blew up in her face.

I've been to a nail place only twice and the 2 times I've been there they were working intently on my nails and talking to me. If I were in their shoes, I wouldn't assume that my customers won't understand what I'm saying so I definitely would not be talking about them (unless it's something nice).

Back in the day years ago I used to get my nails done in an Asian salon, I went to one guy in particular who was super nice, anyhoo his family owned it and worked there, and when they would speak in front of me, it was never a problem for me. They were really nice and I just assumed they were talking about walk-ins, timing, what needed to be done, etc. I could just tell by the tone of it.

I think it would be totally different if people were blatantly sniggering, or giggling the whole time, but that's not really a language barrier as it is just being rude in general.