Ever purged your collection in pursuit of one bag? How did it go?

I have the same basic plan going, but my colors are a little different:

1 black bag (got a BV hobo in cervo)
1 structured blue bag (another BV, lambskin)
1 fun bag (cobalt blue lambskin hobo, BV)
1 metallic shoulder bag (To get -- I have my eye on one)
1 exotic clutch (Ferragamo python)
1 all-weather bag (To get. I'm using a Longchamp Le Pliage for now)

That's 6 total. I might get one additional one at some point, but I hate having bags I don't carry so this plan is working for me so far.

doreen - Excellent, really focused collection! I must confess that reading your comments in other posts about how your collection was small but well-loved and used really inspired me. I am aiming for something very similar, except for with red instead of blue. And I am pretty sure that I will get my hands on a luscious BV someday (if I play my cards right!)

I've been thinking about doing that lately, selling my dooney & bourke bag along with several of my coach bags in order to fund one or two bags i've been wanting. I've kind of been hanging back on it though because i want to make sure i wont regret selling them, but i think i've finally made my mind up to sell them this spring/summer.

Designer_Love, do it!!! Do it!!!

It's seriously so much fun...and more than that, it's freeing. Let me know if you need any enouragement or help in your collection purging, I'm happy to help! :smile:

I feel the same way.
I have been trying to keep my bags number at around 10. Just sold 5 in the past month and I feel so great!

I think it sounds like a great idea! I like to use the one bag in one bag out theory. I try to keep my collection small (about six or seven bags). Sometimes it makes me nervous about having so many bags for some reason!

^^I just sold two of my handbags on e-bay that I wasn't too crazy about and didn't use much, but I just bought two more-lol. I always seem to be right about at 10 bags at one time. I don't really want more than that because a cluttered closet clutters the mind, IMO! Less is more....quality over quantity any day of the week!!!

thithi, which YSL are you looking at? :graucho: It's great to know that we are in this together!!!
hahah... I am looking at the zipper y-tote(easy). I don't think I can hold out much longer, which means I need to purge my collection quickly.

Good job on cleaning out your items, you've got a lot of discipline!! I'm so happy to hear that you're closer on getting your goal. Let us know when it happens!! I think a red roady would be a wonderful classic bag to add to your collection.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement and advice!! :hugs:

knas, your example has really helped to convince me :smile:...I am going to sell just about everything (and I mean pretty much everything) and go for a collection that looks something like this:

1 Red bag
1 Black bag
1 Bad weather bag (maybe something in coated canvas)
1 Small convertible clutch/cross-body (I already have one of these so I will likely just keep it...I don't tend to use them as much, anyway, so would rather invest my $ in everyday pieces).

And since I currently own only one large wallet and one small wallet that I love, I will keep those unless I happen upon something that knocks me out.

How's that for a radical change?

I feel so great about this plan!!!! :yahoo:

Great plan! Congrats on selling some of your bags so quickly.

i wish i could sell some of mine, but i'm afraid of *bay...

You could always try craigslist or other online sites. I've never sold anything on ebay but have on various online sites. It's free to list and you get cash right away. Depending on your location/price/bag you could sell it fairly quickly.

i wish i could sell some of mine, but i'm afraid of *bay...

pickle, PLEASE check out Bonanzle!! That's where I do most of my selling and it is well worth it - less fees than *bay once you sell (and it's free to post!!), and a much nicer community overall. Sure, there is less traffic and it might take a bit longer for some items to sell, but it is in my opinion far more pleasurable than *bay.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me or check out the *bay forum, where there are a lot of Bonanzle experts. GL!!! :smile:

I feel the same way.
I have been trying to keep my bags number at around 10. Just sold 5 in the past month and I feel so great!

That's fantastic, baipang!! :biggrin:

And I like the number 10 myself...I may get there again someday (but it will take more than a few years if I focus on the bags I really want, heh heh). :graucho:

hahah... I am looking at the zipper y-tote(easy). I don't think I can hold out much longer, which means I need to purge my collection quickly.

Good job on cleaning out your items, you've got a lot of discipline!! I'm so happy to hear that you're closer on getting your goal. Let us know when it happens!! I think a red roady would be a wonderful classic bag to add to your collection.

I LOVE the Easy tote!!! I am also looking at that. :graucho: YSL has always capitivated me, I guess I just thought it was out of my reach. Now I realize that it's a question of focusing on having much less, but of higher quality...I mean, for all of the 10-12 RMs and other mid-level brands that I have currently, I could easily get a few classic bags.

YSL, here we come!! :yahoo:

^^I just sold two of my handbags on e-bay that I wasn't too crazy about and didn't use much, but I just bought two more-lol. I always seem to be right about at 10 bags at one time. I don't really want more than that because a cluttered closet clutters the mind, IMO! Less is more....quality over quantity any day of the week!!!

ITA. Personally, even when I have had mid-level bags only and maybe 1-2 high end ones mixed in, owning more than 10 bags at a time starts to feel overwhelming to me...even though I know that lots of people are comfortable with more than that. To each her/his own!! :heart: