Ever live in a scary neighborhood?

:heart: to you all.

I guess I was just more frightened last night than usual, for some reason. Legals post made me realize how good my situation is, compared to soooo many others around the world.

I live on the east side of Austin. East of 35. 3 people have been murdered/killed w/in 2 miles of my house in the last 2 months. Why do I live here? Gentrification. But it is not happening as fast as I would like. And the murder rate is bringin' me down. So I'll be selling and moving - soon.

Depends on what you consider "scary." I've lived most of my life in New Orleans. A lot of people who live here don't really live IN New Orleans and think the city is a scary place. I wouldn't live anywhere else. I was just raised to be cautious about my surroundings and not to make myself a victim.

horrible things can happen in the very best neighborhoods.

just use common sense and be aware of your surroundings. keep your guard up, and be aware of the people that know your comings and goings. don't do things to draw attention to your belongings, that is usually what attracts crime.

hang in there, you'll be just fine. take good care of your mom.

that is too true! in my neighborhood (which is the LEAST crime ridden in the city!) a couple of years ago, two very wealthy old people were murdered in the middle of the night!

if you live in a sketchy area, just dont act like a victim, and dont make it obvious that you are uncomfortable there.
i used to live in a really bad area, right in between two rival cities, and there were gunshots every night. it was so terrible, but i was only 5 or so..

im sure you will be fine! you are in my prayers!

Just be careful. Be aware of your surrounding, and always act confident. You might want to take some self defense classes. I hope you rmom gets better too. If you ever feel liek you want to chat with someone, feel free to PM ok.

horrible things can happen in the very best neighborhoods.

just use common sense and be aware of your surroundings. keep your guard up, and be aware of the people that know your comings and goings. don't do things to draw attention to your belongings, that is usually what attracts crime.

hang in there, you'll be just fine. take good care of your mom.
..ITA :smile:

Hugs to you!!!

When I first came to London, I moved to "the wrong side of the tracks" of a seemingly nice area, as my roommate liked to say. I don't even really like to think about it but let's say I toughened up and learrent a few good lessons.

It's funny how before I lived there, I had never had the need to be aware of my surroundings or be street wise. And I am oddly thankful for having reached bottom rock, not only is anything to come much better but also nothing really scares me anymore!

Hope you and your mom are OK...

When I moved to Tampa I thought the projects didn't look bad at all compared to New Orleans. I was like, "You're kidding. These are projects?"

Our neighborhoods in N.O. are very mixed up and so there aren't really "bad" and "good" areas sometimes. My neighbors (my friend's parents) were held up at gunpoint a few years ago right in front of their house walking back from getting coffee. It wasn't even dark outside. They lived in a really nice house and I loved our neighborhood, but we have crime everywhere. Of course if you want to rob someone you don't rob someone who looks broke, you hold up the doctor and his wife walking back with their coffee. What is funny is my friend's mom threw her coffee in the guy's face and ran off into her house and left her husband to fend for himself. Then the guys backed off down the street in a car. Nobody was hurt. You never know how you'll react I guess when you get held up, but she was a tough one!

...not that these people will know Coach or "real" jewelry...
Well, that should allay your fears of being robbed.

People who consume a bit more than this or that substance can definitely be annoying, but I think that is a phenomenon that is pretty universal - a rich kid who has had too much cocaine, alcohol or both seems just as obnoxious to me as a poor one in the same condition, but then I am poor, and live in a poor neighborhood, and the brand name of peoples' accessories or what their bling is made of is just not on my radar. :smile:

I did not mean it in the way I think you're accusing me of. I did say "I'm not any better than anyone", and "I hope no one takes my words the wrong way"?

Honestly, will the man riding his bike at 12am last night trying to get someone to buy "his" dvd player know the coach logo? That's all I meant. Perhaps I shouldn't have said that, though, since inexpesive car windows get bashed in at the same rate of higher-end.

I'm sorry for sounding so definsive, and forgive me if I've gotten your post tone wrongly, but I guess I'm a bit sensitive.

I did not mean it in the way I think you're accusing me of. I did say "I'm not any better than anyone", and "I hope no one takes my words the wrong way"?

Honestly, will the man riding his bike at 12am last night trying to get someone to buy "his" dvd player know the coach logo? That's all I meant. Perhaps I shouldn't have said that, though, since inexpesive car windows get bashed in at the same rate of higher-end.

I'm sorry for sounding so definsive, and forgive me if I've gotten your post tone wrongly, but I guess I'm a bit sensitive.

Here is my opinion. If the people around you think you are just as poor as they are...they will in no way think any of your jewelry or purses are real. I mean..how could you afford them, right?
I believe that in most hoods the people living there wouldnt know what coach is or what real jewelry looks like. I know I had no idea what all that was until I was about 16 and that was when I started dating my SO which has a sister who is a total Coach fanatic(she got me hooked), she taught me the ropes lol.

fabgrabs--I totally wasn't offended, and I certainly didn't intend to come off quite so harsh!!

I was just trying to give you a little perspective ... maybe that was the wrong approach? I don't know. What I do know is that the best defense is a confident walk, a good loud scream, and maybe a small can of hairspray if pepper spray is illegal in your area.

I guess all I was trying to say was that as long as you can gauge the extent of the "safety" of your surroundings, you can more adequately adapt.

For example, would I go out alone as a 20-something white girl after dark in Nairobi? Heck no. Would I do the same when I lived on campus during law school? Hell no. There were armed robberies on my own block ... even with tons of University public safety patrols and squad cars everywhere.

I hope that helps! Perhaps this is a great time to do something really empowering, like taking a self-defense class, or kickboxing, or something.

I just hope that you stay safe!! Be careful!