Ever been to California Wine Country?

1. My fiance and I are taking a road-trip up to Napa and Sonoma to scout potential wedding sites. I've never been to wine country before - and the more I read about it, the more overwhelmed I get. I'm sure once I have a couple of glasses of wine in me, it'll get even crazier.

Any of you ladies take a trip up there? Any lovely experiences... travel tips... or favourite places you'd like to share?

2. Sorry hun, can't say that I have. Hopefully someone hear can help!

3. I went there a few years ago - to the Nappa Valley, it's THE most beautiful place....we spent a huge amount of time at the Gallo winery, amazing place!

4. Don't miss the Coppola winery. They have an attached store and you can take a short tour. It's very fun!

Also, be careful up there after you've had some wine -- rumor has it that police are patrolling more and pulling people over if they've been drinking to excess.

5. I have always wanted to do a Napa trip of the wine country. I grew up in Sacramento and always said that when I turned 21 I would plan a trip...but, I never did. I am hoping that next year when I do a vacation trip back to Sacramento to visit my friends that we can make a weekend out of it.

6. I haven't but a good friend of ours owns a vineyard there. We keep meaning to go. . . . :sad:

Revana Family Vineyards

7. We went for a weekend last summer. Our favorite winery was Chateau Montelena: Chateau Montelena Winery - Established 1882 and we really like Cakebread too: Welcome to Cakebread Cellars

This is a really nice restaurant, and also has a nice shop attached: Brix Homepage

And the Culinary Institute of America has a fabulous restaurant out there too.... We went for lunch. It's not cheap, but it was wonderful! Wine Spectator Greystone Restaurant-Culinary Institute of America

Another nice restaurant, also not cheap, is Bouchon in Yountville: Chef Thomas Keller

8. Pidgeaon92 you have great taste!!

We live quite close to Napa and go up once a month usually and Cakebread is one of our favorites, as are CIA and Bouchon.

Jbelle, you can't go wrong with any of those choices. Make reservations for Bouchon in advance though or you could wait for hours. :yes:

Also, most wineries are open for tasting from 10-4pm, and all charge a tasting fee, so plan accordingly. :drinkup:

Also check out the Tre Vigne for amazing food and Grgich Hills Winery for really tastey cabs and zins.

As far as wedding sites, I'll bet Robert Modavi could do it, and for sure Staglin Vineyards-- I think some pop diva just got married there :shrugs:

9. ^^^Yeah, it was Christina Aguilera.

I was there last year, and it was beautiful. Congratulations.

10. Are you set on Nappa Valley? There are other great wineries in CA, central coast. If you have seen the movie 'Sideways' you will know what I am talking about. Sandra Bullock got married at one of those places, and when DH and I did the 'Sideways' drive I saw a wedding being set up at one of the places. These places are pretty close to Santa Barbara which is beautiful, but they are not as crowded as some of the wineries in Nappa Valley. You will have so much fun - I've always thought weddings at wineries or vinyards are romantic! Good luck!

11. My fiance and I go to Napa/Sonoma quite often and everyone has given such good recommendations already! I love Bouchon and Rubicon (the new name for Niebaum-Coppola) -- they have a new deal so that you pay a flat fee to visit the estate over a 3 day period. If you love champagne, I would definitely recommend doing a tasting at Domaine Chandon.

A friend of mine got married up in Wine County this past summer and said that oftentimes semi-private estates are the best way to go. Have you checked out "Here Comes the Guide"? Here Comes The Guide - Your Source for Premier California Weddings, Locations, Vendors, and Dresses. When I first got engaged a lot of people suggested that -- it has a bunch of places up in Wine Country to get married at.... :smile: Have a great time!

(Oh, and the Fairmont Sonoma has a great spa, if you have some free time...)

12. In addition to what others have suggested:

Chateau Souverain is a beautiful winery in the Sonoma valley that looks like a French chateau. Their Reserve Cab is outstanding.

If you go to the Central Coast, it's worth the drive to find the Justin Winery outside Paso Robles. Also a beautiful site, great wines, and an attached B&B.