Epsom Anyone?

I didn't realize this was a stamped leather! How weird -- in looking I can see how it might look a little more plastic-like....but I'm still loving it for my wallet....maybe not so much in a kelly or birkin

lilach said:
oh i found one plus for epsom if you consider a white bag and are afraid of stains etc do it in epsom as it won´t get that easily dirty as a clemence for example
Agreed, I recently purchased a white epson collier de chien cuff. So far it has cleaned easily. However, my experience with the cuff alone has made me realize a white bag would be a nightmare for me. While the leather cleaned relatively easily, the stitching remained dark.

So, isn't Clemence and togo pressed too? Or stretched and shrunken in some "manufactured" way? What about Fjord? I know chevre, the crocs, and ostrich are natural (and maybe Fjord too?) - but all of the others are embossed or pressed some way? Right, or am I wrong?

^^^^Frenchie, all of the leathers you mentioned have a natural grain. When I use the word "embossed" it means the grain is pressed into the leather. Vache liegee is processed, however, the grain is natural. Does this make sense?

hermesgroupie said:
^^^^Frenchie, all of the leathers you mentioned have a natural grain. When I use the word "embossed" it means the grain is pressed into the leather. Vache liegee is processed, however, the grain is natural. Does this make sense?

Sort of...the pressed I get - I think...do they smooth it first you think?, But, how are togo and clemence derived then? I heard it was a shrinking or something? :shrugs: I'm deliriously tired. :shame:

I have two bags in epsom ... my Birkin and Paris-Bombay. I like epsom because I'm a sucker for rigid bags! Both my epsom bags are black and I agree that it tends to look dry but has a sheen to it.

Is it heavy? No
Can you describe it-maybe compare to togo or clemence? Stiffer, more rigid, dry-looking, but also has a sheen
Durability? Very good
Scratch-wise? Quite resistant because of the grains
Slouch factor? no, more rigid looking
How do colors take? Quite light and bright!
Do you like it? Yes, but I've had enough for a while with 2 epsom bags
Positives/Negatives? Like what I said, I'm a sucker for rigid bags, so I like epsom. It also takes colors very nicely!

Is it heavy? More than chevre, a lot less than clemence
Can you describe it-maybe compare to togo or clemence? Shinier, more "manicured".
Durability? I heard it was good. Much better than box or other smooth leathers.
Scratch-wise? Grain makes it more scratch-hiding.
Slouch factor? Very rigid
How do colors take? Colours are lighter and brighter on this leather. Reds show more undertone.
Do you like it? No. It's too rigid and manufactured looking. It would be the "canvas" of leather IMHO. Don't like the feel under my fingers. I also prefer a more natural grain.
Positives/Negatives? Excellent for bags that need their shape kept, if you can deal with the weird touch of it (I can't).

Perja said:
Durability? I heard it was good. Much better than box or other smooth leathers.
Perja, box is perhaps the longest lasting leather Hermes uses. I have a few pieces that are over 50 years old. These bags are past vintage and are considered antique. No other leather has this type of longevity, as long as it is maintained.

Epsom is great on wallets, but I don't like when they use it for handbags. Although it is quite rigid and structured, the leather feels somewhat "thin" to me as a handbag.

twigz said:
Epsom is great on wallets, but I don't like when they use it for handbags. Although it is quite rigid and structured, the leather feels somewhat "thin" to me as a handbag.

:yes: It feels weird on my Kelly (it's very difficult to describe...sorry but I prefer the box on my briefcase) and I think my BJ Bearn's colour is not as bright as BJ in other leather but no argument because I'll take it as a present anyday!

There is another stamped leather that has gotten a bad rap because all these fakes appeared on eBay stating that they were LISSE. Real lisse is beautiful. I have a trim in black with white stitching and it is stunning. I was so sad when the fakers were ripping off the name. I believe it was discontinued about 3 years ago.

gracekelly said:
There is another stamped leather that has gotten a bad rap because all these fakes appeared on eBay stating that they were LISSE. Real lisse is beautiful. I have a trim in black with white stitching and it is stunning. I was so sad when the fakers were ripping off the name. I believe it was discontinued about 3 years ago.
Epsom is the replacement for Lisse. :smile: Lisse is especially nice on a Trim!