Epilators

This is a really late reply but epilators are fascinating and lots of people in the US don't know about them.. The epilator works by spinning really really fast and catching the hairs and pulling them out by the roots. But you have to rub it repeatedly over each area for it to be successful. It's not like shaving where you just swipe the area once and the hair is gone. It REALLY hurt for me, I bought it, used it for about 5 min, then got rid of it. If you can tolerate the pain it is a great cost-effective method of hair removal. Sometimes I wish I kept mine just to see if it would have become more bearable over time..

I ordered an Emjoi Soft Caress Cordless Hair Remover http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EAYZEW/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

I am really excited to get it and try it. I hate shaving more than anything, professional waxing is expensive, and I end up tweezing hairs I miss from waxing anyway. I hope this will solve my hair removing woes! I read through this entire thread, and many reviews of various epilators; it seems the only real downside is the pain factor, which I don't expect to be an issue for me. I can't wait!

I had an epilator and hated it. I ended up getting these weird discolouration marks on my arms and I found that it ripped the hair more than pull it out. So in hindsight it wasn't worth the money for me.

I have an epilator, an emjoi one that i bought 10 years ago and still works pretty well... But ive got to say, after using it for sooo long, my arms still sting when i use it!!

Epilators are great!

For sure it hurts first, but you get used to it if you use it regularly. I don't say it becomes a pleasure.. but it's more bearable :smile: I absolutely hate hair!! I don't like shaving, more you shave more the hair grows! Getting it done professionally is expensive if you go every two or three weeks! So for me it really is the best option.

They are not all equals though.. some rip off the hair instead of pulling it out depending on the mechanism. I have one from the brand Philips, and for me it's the best. When my first epilator (Philips) died I bought the Silk-epil from Braun, I didn't really like it because the hair was ripped off, but I kept it for 7 years (and it still works perfectly) because it was expensive and I wanted it to pay for itself :smile: Then I really got tired and went back to Philips last year.. heaven!!!! I regret waiting so long to dump my silk-epil ;)

I use it every week-week and a half on my armpits and legs, they didn't see a razor for 10 years now!! So now the hair grows very thin and soft, you don't even see it till it's pretty long. For the bikini I go to the spa but still use a little bit the epilator on the less sensitive zones.

I come from France and when I moved to the US I was really surprised to see that they are not so popular. To me at least, it's the best option. It might be a little expensive but I highly recommend it cause you buy it once and can use it forever (or almost) :smile:

I've been having threading done on my upper lip for several years. Lately I don't want to go, partly because it hurts and also I think unless you're looking with a magnifying mirror, you can't really see any hair. But here are some so I was wondering if I should consider some at-home option like the epilator?
How painful and how effective for upper lip? Do you pull out one hair at a time or sweep over the lip like with a shaver?

I've been having threading done on my upper lip for several years. Lately I don't want to go, partly because it hurts and also I think unless you're looking with a magnifying mirror, you can't really see any hair. But here are some so I was wondering if I should consider some at-home option like the epilator?
How painful and how effective for upper lip? Do you pull out one hair at a time or sweep over the lip like with a shaver?

I don't know about an epilator for the face, but I've been using one of these for the past two years and it has worked great. No more peach fuzz and no pain.

https://www.ulta.com/flawless-instant-painless-facial-hair-remover?productId=xlsImpprod16641047

thanks....price is good but looks like it shaves rather than pulling the hair out? do you get stubble?

No, I use it about once a week and the hair that grows back is the same thickness and color as it was originally. It's easy, painless, and only takes a minute or so to use. I saw that a couple women in the comments claimed that it gave them acne or gave them stubble but I haven't experienced any of that. Like all products, I suppose it doesn't work the same for everyone.

Reactions: sdkitty
No, I use it about once a week and the hair that grows back is the same thickness and color as it was originally. It's easy, painless, and only takes a minute or so to use. I saw that a couple women in the comments claimed that it gave them acne or gave them stubble but I haven't experienced any of that. Like all products, I suppose it doesn't work the same for everyone.
thanks
I wonder too about laser hair removers. they are a lot more expensive but there is one for around $200 - Silk Flash n Go - would be about the cost of ten trips for threading. Anyone have experience with these?

I went to ulta and got this. works pretty well and painless....left me feeling a bit tender; I should probably get some aloe or witch hazel. will see how regrowth goes.
thanks
We have lots of aloe in our yard so that's good.
I just read some reviews on makeupalley. some people loved this gadget but some complained that they liked it at first and then it caused problems with hyperpigmentation. I'll keep using for awhile and see. Hope this doesn't happen. I already seem to have some freckling or something in that area above my lip.
Have you replaced the head?
I was thinking once I determine I'm keeping this, I'd get a backup set of heads.
thanks

We have lots of aloe in our yard so that's good.
I just read some reviews on makeupalley. some people loved this gadget but some complained that they liked it at first and then it caused problems with hyperpigmentation. I'll keep using for awhile and see. Hope this doesn't happen. I already seem to have some freckling or something in that area above my lip.
Have you replaced the head?
I was thinking once I determine I'm keeping this, I'd get a backup set of heads.
thanks

I’ve never had that issue but I use a Vitamin C serum most days and that prevents hyperpigmentation. But I’m not sure what possible connection a shaver could have to that problem anyway. Men shave all the time and I never notice guys having mottled, freckled skin because of it. I’ve had the device for about two years and I’ve only replaced the head once and that was when I accidentally dropped it on the floor and the inside of the head was damaged. The replacements are pretty easy to come by so you might want to wait a few months and make sure it works for you before you buy them.

I’ve never had that issue but I use a Vitamin C serum most days and that prevents hyperpigmentation. But I’m not sure what possible connection a shaver could have to that problem anyway. Men shave all the time and I never notice guys having mottled, freckled skin because of it. I’ve had the device for about two years and I’ve only replaced the head once and that was when I accidentally dropped it on the floor and the inside of the head was damaged. The replacements are pretty easy to come by so you might want to wait a few months and make sure it works for you before you buy them.
thanks
I'm going to wait until I'm sure it's a keeper - look at my regrowth, etc.
The replacement heads are $12.99 everywhere but some big power sellers on ebay (with thousands of positive FB) have them for much less.
I always use the ebay sellers for things like computer/phone accessories. Not sure if I should take a chance on something I'm using on my face.

Reactions: bag-mania