embrace your fakes?

I think they're great. I've actually considered doing something similar. It's a look-at-me-I'm-so-edgy statement. I think wearing a fake and trying to pass it off as real is totally gross, but if you're gonna rock it like this, more power to you.

Furthermore: it's likely that if these individuals were taken to court (at least in the US, I'm not totally up on my European copyrights but I think they are somewhat similar) they would come out on top.

Copyright/Fair Use and Freedom of Speech (1st Amendment in the US) protects the right of individuals to create items as parody of copyrighted works.

Basically, the idea behind Parody Protection goes like this: in order to create a parody, one must by definition borrow heavily on an already copyrighted property. It is almost completely improbable that such permission would be granted by the owners of the copyright, first because parody is almost always at least semi-negative and second because most copyright holders don't want to dilute their copyrights, no matter how innocuous or even positive the recreation may be.

Parody, then, is protected in order to ensure that artistic and expressive freedoms are not hindered. It is illegal to attempt to pass off a copy of an existing copyright as the real thing. The sites that sell fakes "strictly for entertainment purposes" are trying to get protection under this interpretation of the law, but tend to lose out, since one of the stipulations of Parody and Fair Use tends to be that, in court, the defendants must prove (or rather, the prosecution must DISprove) that they are making an artistic statement and that there work clearly demonstrates that statement.

Under these guidelines, I think that this FakeWear falls pretty clearly under such protections.

Furthermore: it's likely that if these individuals were taken to court (at least in the US, I'm not totally up on my European copyrights but I think they are somewhat similar) they would come out on top.

Copyright/Fair Use and Freedom of Speech (1st Amendment in the US) protects the right of individuals to create items as parody of copyrighted works.

Basically, the idea behind Parody Protection goes like this: in order to create a parody, one must by definition borrow heavily on an already copyrighted property. It is almost completely improbable that such permission would be granted by the owners of the copyright, first because parody is almost always at least semi-negative and second because most copyright holders don't want to dilute their copyrights, no matter how innocuous or even positive the recreation may be.

Parody, then, is protected in order to ensure that artistic and expressive freedoms are not hindered. It is illegal to attempt to pass off a copy of an existing copyright as the real thing. The sites that sell fakes "strictly for entertainment purposes" are trying to get protection under this interpretation of the law, but tend to lose out, since one of the stipulations of Parody and Fair Use tends to be that, in court, the defendants must prove (or rather, the prosecution must DISprove) that they are making an artistic statement and that there work clearly demonstrates that statement.

Under these guidelines, I think that this FakeWear falls pretty clearly under such protections.
wow. thanks for the detail!
im sure these would not be copyrighted..