"eliteness" in stores?

1. Has anyone ever felt a difference in how they are treated in highend stores or resturants based on their appearance? While I understand they probably get alot of curious bypassers and want to spend their time on people who will really buy the product, sometimes I get turned off if I am not looking too hot (after school, or gym) and I want to run into Gucci or LV on the way home. I just feel like I get treated like crap for not being decked out in expensive stuff all the time when I do buy their stuff. I have gone in LV a few times and gotten the raised lip look or completely ignored, same with chanel and Dior. I remember one day i went into Gucci after school to look at the Jolicoeur in person. I was wearing Levis, a T shirt, converse, and lugging a timbuk 2 laptop bag, I went in and while everyone was polite, I got the general feeling I wasnt taken seriously. So I asked one of the SAs if they had some other colors in stock and knew the names of the 2 other bags I was also condsidering and he looked shocked and even asked how I knew that haha! Of course if I am carrying and wearing brands of equalish value (or their brand, oh my!) they are kissing my butt haha. It kind of amuses me because I know some filthy rich people who dress like hobos. I was just wondering if anyone else has gotten this general feeling or if It's just a mental thing? And Im not trying to diss the stores or SAs or anything, just curious.

2. you're bound to have a bad shopping experience in your lifetime. that said, if you aren't being treated as you like, take your business elsewhere. the bag market is too huge and your money is just as green as anyone else's. a SA that doesn't recognize this is a moron.

this is why i am headed towards hermes. the client service there is stellar. i know people have had issues with them as well, but it is the only store that i have been to where EVERYTIME i am there, the SA is beyond polite, always willing to chat about products and moreso HAS THE PRODUCT KNOWLEDGE to do this! it kills me when i'm in chanel, louis vuitton, etc. and the SA is stumbling to keep up in terms of what's new/what's coming out.

when you shop in luxury stores, you are not only paying for the product, but the EXPERIENCE of shopping in that store. it's up to them to make you want to come back for more.

3. I always feel conscious of what I'm wearing when I go into shops like that. I don't shop often (really) so I guess there's less chance of me walking in in my gym stuff, haha.

4. Yes I know what you mean! I am 19 and look 15 lol, but i must admit LV (now they know me) and thats important to say have been LOVELY! Before when I went in with some friends after uni we all got ignored! I wrote a letter of complaint and it has never happened since!
    Dior have always been V friendly, i think its because they are not that busy wheras Gucci and Prada are snooty! I dont go in there any more because of how the SAs are!
    But if I know im going to LV, i wont get dressed up i will just make sure I look nice!
    Which in a sense is bad but its not only the SAs who look at you its the other customers aswell! xx

5. I have generally found that SA's in the top stores treat me very well, even when I'm not dressed up. You never know who has money and who doesn't, who will buy and who won't. These SA's have learned their lesson that, a dressed down person can spend a fortune. And if on occasion I have been treated less than stellarly, I strike the attitude: YOU are the one who is an hourly salaried employee, and I am the one who is in here buying.

6. I was treated very snottily and condescendingly and cold at Nordstrom when I was (trying to) chat with the SA about a LAMB display of bags. I was dressed in jeans, but looked put together, and was carrying my Mono Stephen. The rude SA I figure, was either jealous haha or thought it was a fake. She was a b**ch.

7. I don' t mean to pick on Gucci, but I just recently bought a very expensive Pelham in one of their boutiques and I immediately felt relieved that I was looking upscale that day - the aura, the lighting, the temperature and the sales people all seemed part of a stage presentation. It was a bit chilling not to mention off putting.

8. I have been treated worse at Wal-Mart and the grocery store, than I have at any higher end stores... and I won't even start on how awful I was treated in some of the bridal shops when I was looking for my wedding dress! Just the other week I walked into Saks in a tshirt, jeans, and crocs and the SA I worked with was so wonderful. I've never been in any strictly LV stores (though I did go into the LV boutique at Saks the last time and they were wonderful too) or gucci, so I can't say about those. Unless I happen to swing into a store after dinner or something, I am usually dressed very casual and comfy when shopping. There's nothing I hate worse than ending a shopping trip early because I wore uncomfy shoes (of course, I have made that mistake and just bought new ones! lol) Were I to be treated crappy, I would take my business elsewhere and notify someone above the SA.

9. I feel like it depends on the SA and maybe the location? I've gone into Gucci looking like such a schlep and the SAs almost fought over me and the SA I ended up with was an absolute doll who answered and helped me though I was going batty over sizing. Maybe it's the way you carry yourself in the store? If you act like you belong, they'll just think you're one of those hobo-chic dressin' handbag lovers.

As far as area, for me, the Bloomies on 3rd Avenue I could do without, they're usually rude unless I'm decked out, I much prefer the one in Soho, they expect a wider range of clientele.

10. Pretty Woman came out 17 years ago, so I think this is something that is going to be going on forever. (For those who are only 17, there is a famous scene in this movie where Julia Roberts is treated like dirt when she into a high end shop then...ah, go rent the movie...)

If I go in a high end shop bummy ( bummy = not up to their standards, not truly in stained and tattered clothing) and am treated like crap, I tend to rifle through my purse to looking for my phone, "accidentally" let my Saks / Neimans, etc cards show and conduct a fake call on my phone asking my friend if I should buy the ostrich or croc version of the bag.

What they hear:

"I just got back from the digging site. I never knew it was such stress to oversee building construction. All the inspectors! Toilets have to be low-flow? Gives me a headache! I was going to treat myself to a croc or ostrich bag - what do you think?"

The sales people inevitably get closer.

"Well, no. The car service is waiting outside, so I'll be fine."

The sakes people get even closer.

"Oh you know a nice SA at the uptown store? Great, let me write that down, because the ones in here [I lower my voice like I'm trying to be discreet] were really kind of rude. I'd rather buy it somewhere else. Could you call her and let her know I'm on my way."

This is only if I'm sure they are being beeyotches and I am in the mood to be a passive aggressive one back to them. I'm 32, I freaking don't have time for this anymore. At least say hello to me when I come
    in.

*Make sure your ringer is off when you do this. It can severely backfire if it's not.

11. Hilarious!

I experience the brush off as well. I went into LV about a week ago and there was one other customer in the store and maybe 4 SA's (this is a smaller boutique). I wasn't even greeted when I stepped in and it took a few minutes of "intense" browsing for someone to actually come over to me! Granted, I wasn't dressed up or anything and I look about 16 (I know I'll love it when I'm 40 and look 30...), but come on! A "Welcome" or "How are you today?" would have been nice.

BTW, I ended up buying the bag online when I got home. :okay:

12. Mama2 you bring up a good point--when I shopped for my wedding gown it was interesting. We had budgeted about 2500 for a gown, I had no intentions of going that high but wanted the option available...We went into a shop (in tshirt and shorts as it was summer) that did carry higher end gowns (monique's etc) and the woman who owned the shop actually scoffed when I asked what size the sample was. She literally said "only our employees model the samples so they don't get tattered, when you pay in full you are able to try on your gown in your size, but I don't expect you can afford this gown, it's $3500." My mom did not care for that assumption that we were broke and pretneded to be excited it was so inexpensive. The woman's attitude suddenly changed and she offered us her wedding planning services. The owner was like chasing us out the door trying to get us back in to buy it.

I have had some really interesting, and some very paintful, shopping experiences--Ive even gone so far as to do a "sociology experiment" in this. When we travel, we go to mostly shopping destinations, LA, NY, etc. I go with lists of things Id like to purchase and set aside lots of money to buy these things with should I be able to. We don't always dress nicely--I almost always wear a fitted tshirt and jeans and either running shoes, flipflops or some diesel, tsubo, sketchers..some kind of neat shoe (though never heels bec I can't walk in them). When my DH goes in with me he usually just says I dont care get whatever you want. And sometimes salespeople FLOCK to me.

In St. Louis where I live:
    It seems that unless I wear my big "Fake" wedding set (I bought it for my honeymoon so my real one wouldn't get destroyed or lost) I get literally IGNORED in NM or Saks or some of the boutiques in that area. Somehow no matter how well I dress and if I wear my real wedding set--which is nothing to sneeze at, I get completely ignored. I could THROW money at them and they would look past me. Actually I take that back-SECURITY watches me. The only places I get attention, regardless of attire, are Nordstrom which I go to most of the time, jewelry stores (go figure) and candy stores, as Im a chocolate freak.

In California: In San Francisco, even though we stuck out as obvious tourists (my DH and I are pretty chubby folks, Im a size 16 with a bit of a tummy), every shop we went in, clothing or otherwise, they treated us nicely, not like castoffs. Got seated at several fine restaurants.

But in Santa Monica...I was just some grotesque joke of a human not worthy of anything but mockery. I know I am chubby so having salespeople remind me in the cruelest ways was hard to accept...and what I learned there is unless I shopped for handbags, shoes, makeup, chocolates or jewelry, I get not only "avoided", I get made fun of, and the worst experience I had for that was in shops in Santa Monica, along Montana and at Fred Segal (actually both this and the Melrose location...) being the worst. Kitson on Robertson wasn't pleasant really either. At the SM Fred Segal, I was ready to buy a $500 handbag and some items in the beauty dept, as well as tiny little necklace for my friend's bday gift...I was walking through the jeans dept to pay for my items, wallet in hand, and heard laughing and turned around to see two sales women literally pointing and laughing at me to another male salesperson, and since I was the only person in the freaking store that didn't work there..I figured it had to be me. I knew nothing clothingwise in the entire store could possibly fit me, which is why I didn't actually look at any. I asked if there was a problem, and they kind of whispered like "oh sh!t she heard us" and I looked aroundto see if maybe I had something on my butt or back...and then they literally cracked up. I dropped all the items in my hand onto the floor like an angry child and walked out. Someone who I assume was a manager stopped me as I walked towards the exit to see if there was anything she could help me with since I guess she saw tears on my cheeks and I said apparently I don't belong in this store, and my money isn't worth having. She apologized, and seemed sincere, but it was done. I walked to the car outside in tears, and my husband knew it was just a bad day. I wanted to just go back to our hotel and be left alone. The only good clothing related experience I had was at the Gap in the promenade. Those folks actually gave a crap and talked to me, and helped me and complimented my hair and were shocked when I told them how much it costs to get it done here in STL versus out there (it's like 1/4 the cost!!!). We got ok service at the restaurants we went to that were actual restaurants in LA, couldn't get a table at a couple places but it looked like the place was jampacked so that was fine.

In NYC:
    I got treated mostly well there, much like sanfran. There were a few shops where we got snooty attitudes. We never had trouble getting a table even in the poshest restaurants but I think that was bec we made reservations months in advance of our trip. I asked the dresscode at the posher places and we adhered to it.

In Vegas:
    Never one time were we treated like 2nd class citizens in any shop. No matter what. We were seated at Mesa Grill with no problems even though we were dressed like bums. Harry Winston and Fred Leighton were pleased to assist me in trying things on, and complimented my wedding set profusely, asking why Id want something different. Debeers as well.

13. I asked an SA to call me when a Miu Miu bag that I wanted went on sale at NM. I had gone in to return a Chloe that I'd ordered and was in my jeans, and a tee, with a shirt over it. So she took my number, but never called me back..and I knew they'd gone on sale. I went and got the bag at Saks-and then went back into NM later. Kind of the pretty woman thing-I made a point of telling her that I no longer needed the phone call...

14. Heh, that's funny. You could call your voicemail if you need to actually be on the phone. When I'm on the line my phone stays lit up, so that would be a giveaway.

15. I just don't think anyone shopping in a high-end store should get low treatment if you just put on your biggest smile and look the SA square in the eye and tell them what you want. It works that way every where you go. I mean, how can someone be rude to a customer who has a great big grin on their sweet face?