Egypt to limit tourists to Tutankhamun tomb

1. Sun Nov 11, 12:30 PM

CAIRO (AFP) - Egypt said on Sunday it will restrict the number of visitors to the tomb of the boy pharaoh Tutankhamun in the Valley of the Kings to 400 a day from next month.

It also plans to close the tomb to visitors indefinitely from May next year in order to carry out restoration work, Supreme Council for Antiquities secretary general Zahi Hawass said in a statement.

"The tomb receives a lot of visitors and is considered one of the most famous pharaonic tombs in the valley of the kings," Hawass said.

The true face of ancient Egypt's boy king was revealed last week to the public for the first time since he died more than 3,000 years ago.

The pharaoh's mummy was moved from its ornate sarcophagus in the tomb where its 1922 discovery caused an international sensation to a nearby climate-controlled case where experts say it will be better preserved.

Made pharaoh at the age of nine, Tutankhamun became famous with the discovery of his tomb and the treasures within by Briton Howard Carter.

Every day hundreds of visitors file through his tomb in the Valley of the Kings on the west bank of the Nile in the southern city of Luxor, bringing with them into the royal tomb bacteria, humidity and other pollutants.

"The mummy risked being reduced to dust because of the rising levels of humidity due to the visitors," Hawass when the face was revealed.

When the tomb was discovered, the pharaoh's embalmed body was encased in three sarcophagi, one of which was made from solid gold.

Tutankhamun, the 12th pharaoh of the 18th dynasty, reigned for 10 years.

This article shows a picture of King Tut's face. I'm not going to say it's gruesome, but I'm not going to post it here, as some people might not be comfortable looking at a mummy.
  2. Wow I certainly didn't think I could handle that but clicked on it anyway because of curiosity :shame:. I'm easily spooked by things to do with death etc and avoid scary movies but I have to say this didn't scare me. It was interesting to see how much of his face was still there. So anyway this picture is kneehighz approved:tup: for those who might be afraid.

Just thought I'd say that because sometimes I'm afraid to click on something and wish someone else who scares easy would tell me its not so bad. 1/10 on a scale of scary for me. I found it educational. Thanks for the article, you've renewed my interest in mummification.
  3. I always found it fascinating. Whenever my family and I went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art one of my favorite wings was always Egyptology.

(The way it worked out was, my parents would see what they wanted to see and my brother and I would see what we wanted to see. Then we'd meet up later. My brother and I agreed that we'd spend half the time in each of our favorite wings. Mine was Egyptology. His was weaponry.)
  4. This is fascinating to me too. If you love Egypt Caitlin, then you must visit the Louvre and see the Egyptian exhibit there. It is stunning.
  5. I saw the famous one eyed bust of Nefretiri (sp) when I was in West Berlin, they have quite an extensive Egyptian exibit there.

Personal note: While I approve and enjoy the displays of artifacts from long ago, it bothers me to see the remains of long ago peoples on display. It's disrespectful in my opinion.
  6. While visiting Cairo we were amazed by the complexity of the process of mummification. It is not for the faint of heart. Egypt is a wonderful place!
  7. I sincerly wish they would leave the dead alone.

how come no one is digging up the kings of England?
  8. ^^^ ITA!