Eew, yellow nails! Help!

1. I recently bought some of that Hoof Lacquer topcoat which is supposed to strengthen nails. For a couple of weeks, I just wore my nails bare with just a few coats of the stuff. They grew like weeds... but they turned yellow! :throwup:

Any suggestions on how to get them back to normal? I removed the lacquer right away, but they're still a pukey, unhealthy color, and I want to get them back to normal before I paint them again...

Help, please! :confused1:
  2. You can try lemonjuice or those pills for the 3. teeth (u know, what I mean? They bubbles in water... corega?)
  3. Soak your nails in a mixture of lemonjuice and peroxide. If the yellowing is truly topical as opposed to a medical condition, it should work. My mom is an owner/operator of a salon and she uses that to remove staining to her nails from hair chemicals. Don't soak too long and then use your hands, as this temporarily softens your nails for about an hour or so. Also, you can use a nail buffer (the 4 way kind that makes the nail shine) and that'll help with hardening the nails without applying anything to the nail. Horsetail rush herb with silica will help the nails grow. It strengthens hair and nails and is good for the skin. If you ever do polish your nails, always use a good base coat (I like OPI and Orly) as a barrier between your nails and the polish, which can also cause yellowing. Good luck!
  4. rockstar, great reply. :tup:
  5. I've had a few polishes that turn my nails yellow. I just throw them out and paint over the yellow nails with something I know is safe. By the time I remove the new polish, the yellow is gone. Like Rockstar said, it's just cosmetic.
  6. they say olive oil helps....
  7. Wow, thanks everyone! :shame: Rockst@r, I'll definitely try those home remedies next time...

I laid off the nasty hoof lacquer stuff for a few days, and soaked my fingers in hydrogen peroxide... My nails are back to normal now. I won't be using that stuff as a base-coat anymore, though! Eew!