Eep! Dumpster divers with my credit card offers...

ProfNot said:
I've been a victim of ID theft twice.

You are in BIG trouble.

Call your credit card companies TODAY and tell them what happened. Ask for new account numbers.

Buy a subscription to one of those credit report agencies. Get one that will let you put a lock on people checking your credit report without your specific authorization.

Today!

What she said . It's happened to me too . Not fun . Beware of any mail you might get now w/ these people trying to figure out your SSN or moms maiden name . They are craftier than you think .

Some CC companies offer a service that alerts you immediately if someone tries to open a new credit account in your name. My Discover card does, it's called AccountGuard I think. Anyway, every time something about my credit status changes, I get immediately mailed a statement of the changes. I think I pay an extra $5 for the service per month, but it's been worth it so far! Might be worth investing in for awhile...

I tend to rip up junk mail and I shred all the 'offers'. On days I get really paranoid, I dump water in the trash bag. I only do this now because my father was a victim of identity fraud. Be really careful with your mail guys!

Wow that is really scary that someone would take your trash like that. I would totally report this to the credit report agency. I would even freeze all attempts on credit card applications, I wouldn't take a chance on ID theft.

I shred every single thing that has my name and address on it.

I am taking no chances.

I forgot what program I saw on TV but it was about identity theft when you least expect it (including from your garbage cans like credit card offers).

Check your credit report regularly and make sure nothing is out of the ordinary. I really hope those guys are just up for recycling and not identity theft.

I would definitely check into the "lock" on your credit report that will NOT allow anyone to open a card without a second verification from you. You might have to pay a nominal fee, but it's definitely worth the peace of mind.

I open up all my junk mail and shread all the applications. It takes maybe an extra minute or two, but is well worth the time.

In NYC you get tickets for not shredding anything with identifiable info so we shred everything.

All a person needs to open a CC in your name is your name and address. With those 2 things they can find your ss.

Call the 3 credit bureaus or write them and ask them to put a Fraud Alert on your reports. This means that no new credit can be given w/o your approval, the downside is as long as the alert is active no more instant online approval.

To stop junk mail opt out:

https://www.optoutprescreen.com/?rf=t

You can call and have your credit on a 3 month temporary watch. Anyone trying to open an account under your name will be blocked-but that includes you-so only think about it if you're not trying to buy a house or open up any new accounts of your own. I did it when my husband's wallet was stolen along with all our S.S.#'s, which really worried me. If you need the phone number-let me know...