eBay Safety Tips for Buying & Selling

In light of all the scamming and problems on Ebay; especially the poor tPFer who lost thousands on a Birkin sale; it seems the time is right for fellow members to post safety tips which work for them. Please post tips only and save comments for another thread. Thanks!

QUOTE ADDED BY JETSETGO!

This is a very helpful post from the Chanel forum in regards to getting items authenticated before you buy. It really applies to ALL items.
Thanks. Very helpful

Please be overly cautious with even the smallest personal information given to buyers. You will never know how your buyer and maybe your buyer's buyer will use it. I had a seller's mini-drama that relates to this topic. This drama started on Tradesy and ended on eBay. The case took three weeks to resolve on eBay. I am so happy that finally eBay did the right thing. I had to talk and write to many people on and outside of eBay. To avoid this drama, please give your buyer no pieces of you. The struggle to fix the problem can be just a nightmare as the action taken by the unlawful person. EBay does not work well on this issue. Be prepared to be diligent on this issue to get eBay to do the right thing.

Last edited:
As a precaution, whenever I buy brands on eBay that tend to have a lot of fakes (like Louis Vuitton), if I need more pictures I ask the seller for the pictures with their eBay username written on a piece of paper in the picture. I always assumed that was better for them too because they don't have to risk having someone else (that is planning on tricking people) stealing their pictures. Just the other day I asked a seller to include their username in a photo and they said my request was strange and that the receipt and box in the picture should be enough. As someone that sells my own pre-owned bags at times on eBay, I try to be accommodating so I was kind of shocked by that response.

As a precaution, whenever I buy brands on eBay that tend to have a lot of fakes (like Louis Vuitton), if I need more pictures I ask the seller for the pictures with their eBay username written on a piece of paper in the picture. I always assumed that was better for them too because they don't have to risk having someone else (that is planning on tricking people) stealing their pictures. Just the other day I asked a seller to include their username in a photo and they said my request was strange and that the receipt and box in the picture should be enough. As someone that sells my own pre-owned bags at times on eBay, I try to be accommodating so I was kind of shocked by that response.
I like the way you test it! :smile:

I read the bad reviews before the good ones lol.

I also read descriptions carefully. I can't tell you how many times I came across listings that say something like "Alexander Wang Bag" and look in the description box all the way at the bottom in small print (waaaay down from the main description) where it would say "keep in mind this is an Alexander Wang inspired bag" lol. How I see it, is vendors do this just so they can say that they put it in the description and you weren't paying attention.

Another tip is to ask the buyer to extend their return time in case you no longer want it because many of them don't want bad reviews so they are willing to go the extra mile for returns, especially shops that have high volume.

I worry about selling my high end stuff (which I personally buy from high end stores) and getting a dishonest buyer; which are usually those with little or no feedback. So I therefore take as many pictures as possible, and include my receipt (minus my info) so they can't claim or deem my stuff is fake.

The reason for sometimes selling my stuff is I buy buy buy and dont use use use lol. Sometimes I need the cash to make ends meet; and unfortunately have to sell my stuff so I save all my receipts.

Last edited: