eBay Common Sense Q's

1. Okay, I have a few questions pertaining to what sellers to buy from on eBay. I have a few assumptions, and just wanted your opinion on if they're correct or not. I know there are exceptions, though.

1. You shouldn't buy bags from a seller who doesn't accept returns, and doesn't give actual photos - meaning they give stock photos, and sell many of the same type of bags.

2. You should check the seller's feedback and make sure most, if not all, buyers were satisfied with their authentic merchandise.

3. You should be wary of buying a bag from a seller with a very low starting price. Example: Starting bid at $99 + shipping for a bag worth $195.

I was considering purchasing from a seller who had a good deal on a bag, but in the end decided not to because of their no-return policy (they said they guaranteed it was authentic, and though that may have been true, I didn't want to chance receiving a fake bag). I could have gotten a really good price, and I'm sort of regretting it now, but then again, I may have received a fake and I would've been stuck with it! I don't trust feedback 100%. Even if other buyers were satisfied, I wanted to see a picture of the ACTUAL bag. Not a stock photo. Even worse, this seller was trying to claim the image as their own (when the stock photo is actually on Neiman Marcus' website). They claimed, "If you see our images used anywhere else, please let us know so we can report it!" Actually, they've done exactly that. Those images were not theirs.

I've been searching high and low for this particular bag, and had a run-in with someone in England who claimed to know Juicy Couture. Like they had some special connections with them. I highly doubted this anyway, because of their boasting in their About Me page, saying they attended all these exclusive fashion events, and got bags all the time for great prices. How did I meet them? I was watching an auction for a bag, and was planning on bidding, but didn't. They bid on it, and won it for the opening bid! This person is a seller as well, so I thought, 'Shame I missed this opportunity, but how about I try to see if I can buy it back from them!' Stupid idea, I know, because the shipping costs would be outrageous, so I wished I had just bid on it in the first place. So I sent them a message pretending not to know about their win, asking if they had this particular bag in stock, because they had others - I actually did want to get it from them for a good price. They responded and said something like, "It's your lucky day, it's a retired design, but I've spoken with Juicy and they have one for you! As soon as I get it, I'll put it up for you!"

A little straying from the point, but I just thought it was weird that this person was pretending they had relations with Juicy Couture! Why, simply because of the inquiry of one potential customer, would they go out of their way to personally call up "Juicy" (which I'm pretty sure isn't that easy and quick), and ask about a retired design? All for me?? No, their secret is that they recently won it on eBay from a seller in the US, and are now pretending they obtained it exclusively, hence why they said, "as soon as I get it." I don't want to sound harsh, but that's pathetic.

:wtf: In the end, of course, I'm getting it from a seller here in the US - one that doesn't fib about their connections with designers.

Anyways, if anyone could answer the other questions I had, that would be great!! Thanks.
  2. Pertaining to number 3 .. don't necessarily rule out people who start with lower starting bid .. there are quite a few reputable sellers who routinely start with bids under what you'd expect as they want to fuel the "bidding frenzy." Now, that being said .. these such seller have stellar feedback and have great listings featuring their own photographs. They also routinely list other high-end designer items.
  3. Okay, I agree that you should never buy an item without seeing the photos of the actual item you will receive. Stock photos don't tell you anything about the actual item for sale (and sometimes the stock photos they use are different than the actual item they are selling). I don't think a low starting bid poses a big threat, sellers often start an item at a low price hoping to attract buyers. In some cases there will also be a reserve price set, just in case the bidding doesn't go as high as the seller would hope.

As far as the return policy, I do not accept returns. As with any other auction, I consider all sales to be final because I try to describe my items as accurately as possible, and I provide detailed pics of the actual item for sale. Sellers have to try and protect themselves from buyer's remorse and other frivolous returns. If the item is not authentic, or otherwise not as described, eBay and PayPal have a dispute procedure to protect (and reimburse) buyers. The procedure isn't perfect, but many buyers have been able to recover their losses this way. I hope this helps, good luck!
  4. Also, even some of the sellers who frequent tpf, will not take returns. It doesn't necessarily mean that it's a fake, just that they don't want to deal with returns, so it could go either way. And what bagwhore1 said. The only one i'd follow is #2. If other people are having that much problem with the seller, I'd stay away regardless of whether it's real or not.
  5. This is not true. The thing you have to watch out for is a low *buy-it-now price*, esp. on NWT items that retail for much, much more and never go on sale or are current. For example why would someone sell a NWT current season Marc Jacobs bag for $150 buy-it-now when they are in the stores for $1100 and haven't been on sale yet. Or a NWT LV, which never goes on sale, priced at lower than retail would be a red flag.

But a low starting price is sometimes exactly what it sounds like...a *starting* price. In fact sometimes items started at a VERY low price will finish with a higher end price because of generating more interest at the beginning.
  6. I am a seller and i never accept returns...i am not a store so i don't want a buyer to buy the item then change their mind just because or use it and then want to return it.

For auctions i always take a picture of the actual item and if a seller doesn't post one you can ask but if they don't give you one they might not have it on hand so you should by pass it

it is always important to see the feedback...read all of them don't just look for negative or neturals...read the postive as well sometimes a buyer might leave a postive that says bag was fake but seller gave refund...even thought the buyer got the $$ back who wants to deal w/ someone selling fakes

If a bag for ex. LV is has a staring bid of 9.99 there is nothing wrong with that it's costs cheaper to start at that price and it gets alot of attention. If a LV that would cost 2k in the store and they have a BIN price of 250.00 then stay away
  7. About returning things - my problem here is not entirely the authenticity of the bag, but the condition of it. What if, for some reason, a seller (less reputable than it seems those of you who posted here are) posts a picture of the actual bag, but uses special photography (camera angles) to make the bag look different than it actually is? Believe me, it can be done. Certain sellers will say it's exactly as the bag looks, but secretly cover up its flaws. So what if you receive it in bad condition - despite the great photos on the auction - and there's a no-return policy?

That's my beef with the no-return policy. Sorry if it seems that I was targeting only the question of authenticity. I was saying that it could be a problem if it ISN'T authentic. I'm sure there are many sellers who are honest, but what about the select few that aren't? I guess it would show up in their feedback after awhile, but I still just don't like the idea. I wasn't even thinking about buyer's remorse though. Because I agree that, yes, it's your own fault if you buy a bag and then decide you don't want it. That is never a suitable reason for a return.

I guess you all are right about the low starting bid. It seemed to be a bit shady, but I didn't mean to imply that any seller with a low starting bid is phony.

With stock photos - thank you for confirming that, rbaby. With any bag, you have the right to know EXACTLY what you're paying for. Any individual item can differ from the original photo. Thanks for the good luck!

new.old.bag. - Yes, you're right. I see that now, and I think that's what I meant, is that low BUY-IT-NOW prices are suspicious, but now always low bids.

I am a buyer, not a seller, so I hope you understand that I see things a bit differently. Thanks for the advice you all.

8. That does happen when sellers take "angled" photos or they don't give a good detail description of the bag but if that happens you can always contact the seller explain to them why you are unhappy if the seller doesn't want to take it back you open a dispute w/ paypal :yes:
  9. Yeah, that seems the right thing to do. A lot of sellers ARE trustworthy, but for those who aren't, hopefully PayPal is on your side. (And their feedback score may decrease as well.) Thanks, SolidGold!

10. sure cherryfarmgirl if you ever see a bag and wonder if it's real you can always post the auction in the correct thread and have the lovely ladies & gents help you authenticate it
  11. This is what I do when I buy off ebay:

1. Post it on an Authenticate This thread.
    2. Ask for more pictures from odd angles no matter how many pictures the seller may already have, that way I know they have the bag. Also, I can tell if it's not as described if they avoid what I ask them to do 'take the picture in good sunlight', so on so forth.
    3. Check the seller's negative feedback on toolhaus.org
    4. Do a search for the seller's id in tpf if i'm really undecided over the person.
    5. Do beware of low, low BIN prices. Those are usually a dead giveaway, but don't ever assume a reasonable BIN price means the bag is authentic. It is more likely, but not always the case.
    6. After you've done all your necessary research and you are satisfied, go for it!

Also, be aware of whether your seller communicates with you a lot. If he/she doesn't, try not to buy from them. There's nothing worse than a seller that doesn't look after her buyer's needs. And don't assume that because she sent one nice email, she'll be nice the whole way through. Sometimes if you ask for too much they send nasty emails back or they just ignore you. Don't buy from such buyers, in case there is something wrong with the item.

If the seller is honest and you describe your problem well they will sort out a compromise, even if they say no returns. I write that sometimes on my auctions but i'm really doing that to stop people from returning due to buyer's remorse.
  12. If a seller takes paypal, then they will have to accept a return once in a while. If it is fake or not as described, paypal will refund as long as you go through the proper process and the seller still has money in the account.
  13. You're welcome BlueCherries!

I forgot to mention, if you ask the seller a question, they have the option of posting their response to you right on the listing page. So, if you ask specific questions about the item (ie: any rips, stain, tears, wear to the corners or bottom, etc), and the seller says "no," then you have a reasonable claim via PayPal if they lied about the condition.

Also, kuruma's suggestion about getting additional pics is important. If you have a good photo program, you can enlarge the pics to see details of the typical "problem" areas with used purses.
  14. Also to number 3, I've listed thousand dollar bags starting at $9.99 to get some bidding frenzy, it worked well. One must be VERY careful though!
  15. I have never been brave enough to list one without a reserve:rolleyes:
    maybe one of these days